• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The Pacific Rim is falling to pieces. An earthquake in AK, volcano in Japan. The sky is falling! :roflmao:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Is this a first? Are there any other examples in modern history where resort skiers were injured by a volcanic eruption??? Maybe Hawaii???

Skiing in HI, yes. Resorts, no. And yes, it's probably a first. I'm sure moving forward, you'd have much much higher odds of being hit by lightning while skiing.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is this a first? Are there any other examples in modern history where resort skiers were injured by a volcanic eruption??? Maybe Hawaii???

I don't know if skiers were physically injured, but many ski holidays came to an abrupt end when the volcano at the Pucon ski resort erupted in 2015.

https://snowbrains.com/volcanic-eruptions-close-popular-chilean-ski-resort-for-season/
I remember that, now that you mention it. I had forgotten.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Heli skiing in Kamchatka is on some active volcanos

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
Apparently both Tokyo airports closed yesterday due to heavy snow.

TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Apparently both Tokyo airports closed yesterday due to heavy snow.

It was a couple days ago ... Monday here in the states, I think? Believe me, the airport was open and it was bluebird the past two days ... I wish I didn't know that ....

TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait, are you still there?

No, I finally got home this afternoon. Had one 24hr delay, and then sat on the tarmac 3 hr before the flight finally took off today. Or yesterday. Or was it tomorrow? I mean, I took off at 6 pm 1/25, and landed at noon 1/25.... :huh:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, I finally got home this afternoon. Had one 24hr delay, and then sat on the tarmac 3 hr before the flight finally took off today. Or yesterday. Or was it tomorrow? I mean, I took off at 6 pm 1/25, and landed at noon 1/25.... :huh:

Glad you made it home! I totally understand the date confusion. I hope you get some sleep tonight!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Haha, the better deal is a post-midnight takeoff out of Tokyo; you arrive on the west coast the day before you left!
(Caveat is you can spend two days flying back non-stop with a late takeoff out of LAX)