• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

General PugSki Backcountry Meetups

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Mostly a placeholder for now, but I think it'd be great to meet up with some PugSkier's for backcountry touring days. Maybe on ongoing thread to find partners, offer up trips, and post ongoing stoke?

While there are lots of ways to meet potential touring partners, I do have an inkling that many on here are a bit more cautious, researched, and maybe experienced than you might find in many venues. It'd be great to share turns with like minded folk, and perhaps recruit some touring-curious members to our fold.

Once the season gets started, I'll post up here potential outings. Hopefully others can do the same.

Me: The statistically most likely demographic to get in an avalanche (30, male, advanced skier, fit) -- who really doesn't want to get caught in an avalanche. Based in the Front Range of Colorado. AIARE 1 cert. Likes 2-4000' days, touring mostly mellow terrain hunting for good snow. (Until spring, then we get steep!) Tour ~20 days per year. Looking to expand my touring to include hut-to-hut traverses and more ski mountaineering objectives.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
As season approaches I'm starting to collect thoughts on some areas I'd like to explore. I'll be keeping (and encourage others to do the same) some of the mellower thoughts on this shared CalTopo map: https://caltopo.com/m/AF66 . For anyone who hasn't come across CalTopo -- I highly recommend it as a trip planning tool: you can see tree coverage, slope angles, overlay various maps (NFS Topos, Google imagery, Land Management), and then plot potential routes over them.

I've added three little day tours this morning -- all front range based-- one at St. Marys, one in Vail Pass Recreation area leaving from Copper, and one up Mayflower meadows.

One of my favorite features is that you can get "terrain statistics" after you draw a line. Here for example is a descent down Kingston -- nice even, slope angle, steep enough to ski happily but not steep to be much avalanche danger, NE exposure for sun preservation.
Zwi0zEq.jpg

Here is what it looks like on the map (top line):
HjkCAAF.jpg

If you wish to add material you can do so with the password: PugSki

Josh

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey there . About Me: I'm Josh out of Boulder. Mid-thirties, can handle anything in bounds, though I am cautious and will slow down as needed. Fit - beer league hockey player 2x per week. Hoping to get out a bit more this winter. Currently on snowshoes/backpack for uphill (well, and beacon/shovel/probe), but keeping an eye out on craigslist for a splitboard setup. Took AIARE 1 last December. Only been out a few times thus far (2 with AIARE, 2 after), to East Portal Moffat tunnel and RMNP (near bear lake). Fairly low risk tolerance wrt avalanches - don't think you'd ever see me out on anything above a level 2 day. Frequent reader of CAIC reports.

Love the shared Caltopo map. Will see if I can add the two spots I've done (both are mostly low angle terrain). I've also used (and recommend) Avenza on mobile with caltopo (export caltopo maps to pdf, import to avenza, and gps usually works with avenza, even when out of cell range).

Hopefully I'll be getting a splitboard/skins at some point and can join you!

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Josh -- will for sure give you a shout when things get going. I've got a few knuckledragging friends I get out with from time to time in the BC. One on a split, the other on snowshoes and carrying. If I've learned something from the snowshoe dude, is that fitness can make up for a lot. He regularly runs Longs and other 13/14ers, and never am I waiting on him unless somehow I start transitioning first.

I use the same combo of CalTopo + Avenza. CalTopo to plan, Avenza for good GPS / topo maps in the bc.

Always been curious about the Moffatt area. I dont' "see" a lot of great, long shots look at CalTopo but terrain is always different when you're out there. Definitely plan to spend some days in the Park this season at Banana Bowls / Terrain Park / Hidden Valley.

Good luck on your splitboard hutn.

Sponsor

Staff online