• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow! $90 for a ski sock? You can make a fabric tube with ties on the end at home in about a half hour!

Agree, and if sewing isn't your thing or your time is worth more that $10/hour, you could probably contact and someone on Etsy to make it for you.
I bought a couple door draft "snakes" off of etsy for like $6 shipped which is basically also a tube and velcro strip at the end and there are TONs of home sellers willing to make them.
Probably could ask any of those makers to make a bigger version of a tube for your skis maybe at double the price or $12 each.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
For the durability and convenience I still love my Dekine Single Ski Sleeve. $45 MSRP at your local shop or $33 - $35 on line. No end straps to deal with and the shoulder strap is removable so it doesn't flap in the wind!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Perhaps Im over reacting to just how badly this is for the skis.

I don't think so. I remember walking into a ski shop after driving up in "weather," asking for a tune. Guy took one look at my skis. "We're not a car wash." I felt pretty embarrassed and almost immediately bought a roof box. Not that you're looking for a roof box - I know!

Anyway, when I think of the rocks that sometimes hit my car, the grime, etc ... and when you rinsed off the skis, I wonder if you rinsed off grease in important parts of the binding, too ...

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
The binding covers work well, but some say that the wind loosens the zippers. Take some sort of extra straps to keep the covers snug on your skis. I used to have a neighbor sew covers for me, waterproof nylon fabric from a fabric shop or REI (or junk parka), velcro closures, cords at the ends. Worked great.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Do your skis a favor and get a roof box. Seriously. I've made one trip (Tahoe to Seattle) with ski racks I am quite convinced that they are the worst rooftop invention ever, maybe with the exception of Michigan Highway Patrols rooftop lights (seriously, have you seen those things? ITS NOT THE NINTEEN FIFTIES ANYMORE, GET A CLUE!). They protect your skis better, allow for more storage space, and better MPG (at least according to the Lieometer on the dash).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd still be using a roof rack and replacing/repairing wind tattered ski bags if I hadn't found my ski box on Craigslist for $50.00. Keep on keeping on but check Craigslist daily. Ski boxes come up for pretty cheap every other week or two but you have to be quick to get one.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Keep on keeping on but check Craigslist daily. Ski boxes come up for pretty cheap every other week or two but you have to be quick to get one.
This this this a thousand times this! I've seen them in great shape pop up for under $150 on the regular. Also check your local Facebook buy sell trade group.

David

Skier
I could see wanting a box with a family. But with just me or a friend or two a rack makes more sense for me!

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
+1 on the box or keep them inside the car. ++1 on tips go to the rear!

With the box, you can keep an extra pair of skis in case conditions or your mood change mid-day too. They can also be handy for other types of road trips, tailgating, camping, etc. when you need some extra space; it is amazing how much you can pack in one.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I could see wanting a box with a family. But with just me or a friend or two a rack makes more sense for me!

You just haven't had your skis get gross enough / damaged enough yet. IMHO.

David

Skier
You just haven't had your skis get gross enough / damaged enough yet. IMHO.

Maybe! But after 40 years using ski bags I'm good. Besides, how would they get damaged on top & in a bag? And my bags usually last 10 - 15 years.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Maybe! But after 40 years using ski bags I'm good. Besides, how would they get damaged on top & in a bag? And my bags usually last 10 - 15 years.

Oh! Missed the bag part. Well, I guess your method works, then!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The idea of a box is nice, but in my current living situation, I simply don't have the room to store one for months on end when it won't be in use. So I just toss them on the roof in a ski bag.

My Honda Fit will just barely hold a pair of 185cm powder skis, but with a manual transmission, it gets in the way a bit. My "normal" daily driver skis fit inside just fine.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The idea of a box is nice, but in my current living situation, I simply don't have the room to store one for months on end when it won't be in use.

I just leave it on all year round. It's useful in the summer, too! But I've never sat down to figure out how much it's costing me to do that.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The idea of a box is nice, but in my current living situation, I simply don't have the room to store one for months on end when it won't be in use. So I just toss them on the roof in a ski bag.

My Honda Fit will just barely hold a pair of 185cm powder skis, but with a manual transmission, it gets in the way a bit. My "normal" daily driver skis fit inside just fine.
What do you use a box for in the summer?

My ski box has fishing gear and camp chairs in it during the summer months.. Also other camping gear when we're headed out to do that..

Sponsor

Staff online