• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lets eliminate the obvious suggestion of a cargo box since that's not currently relevant as I do not own one.

So ski rack it is. All the years Ive always had a minivan for the fam and fitting anything inside including skis never an issue. Anyways FF to last year and no more minivan and so I have a ski rack.

On most trips when the weather is not an issue its no big deal. But when the trip is wet and salts and chemicals are on the roads and hiways the skis can get hammered with that stuff. On one of our trips last year....a 5 hr trip to Killington the roads were a mess all the way home. Salts and also this blue stuff (probably some version of ice met) all over the vehicle and the skis. Got home I had to stand all 4 pairs in the shower and rinse them out thoroughly and especially through the bindings really good to get this crap out and off them.

So how to protect the skis on the roof rack so this stuff doesn't end up getting into the bindings and fwiw all over the skis? I cant recall what if anything I use to do decades ago when I also had a rack back then. But last years wet salty road trip made me unhappy about this.

Im not seeing much of anything on the market for this purpose. Does it come down simply covering the bindings with plastic and tape? Is that our only solution with all the tech and products available today? Besides it still leaves the rest of the skis exposed. Doesn't a simple yet cheap and practical enough full ski cover sock or something waterproof like that exist?

Id sure hate to get to a resort after a wet salty trip and not have a way of rinsing off the skis and out the bindings. At least if on the way home I can do it at home. But the other way, what are we to do in a ski hill parking lot? But even if they can be rinsed , just getting salts and stuff all over them doesn't sit well wit me anyway. Salt is a killer and who knows what the other ice melt chemicals may do.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Way way back when, we'd use airline plastic bags then roof rack'em, but when you think of how much we invest in our skis, it seems the least one could do would be some craigslist surfing for a box.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hence the rec. for a cargo box, if cost is a factor as markojp said look for a used box.
I heard some will use the full length ski bags (zip up) to help, but I imagine they would get pretty nasty after the drive you are describing. On the positive your skis won't be as beat up as being unprotected. The negative side is you'll have to extract those skis from a disgusting bag.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
If someone is handy they could make a smaller version of the ski bag. Less flap in the wind. I still have some binding covers from years ago, but not sure that they would fit today's bindings. I haven't seen a roof rack carrier yet this year. I guess the boxes can be used year round so I'm seeing more of those.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know a cargo box is something that doesn't require ski protection. But that still doesn't answer for what can be done or if any product exists which solves the open ski rack issue. Cargo boxes can be ridiculous on small cars, some don't have a place to store a cargo box, and of course somewhat cumbersome to handle and store and also fwiw clean, but etc, etc, ..for whatever the other reasons not every person owns a cargo box.

When I bought this ski rack last year I bought a good one so it wasn't cheap, but it was still considerably cheaper than a cargo box. I also wont use a cargo box on my smaller of our two vehicles. But I simply overlooked this salt and crap issue. Just not something Ive had to worry about so it never entered my mind. That is until my wet and salty 5hr drive unfortunately reminded me. Honestly id also hate to chalk up the good money spent on this good ski rack to a lesson learned.

Perhaps Im over reacting to just how badly this is for the skis. I mean ski resorts are full of open ski racks on vehicle roofs for like ever. But I like to take good care of things I own and invested in. I find it somewhat strange there isn't any real practical ski cover made just for this reason. I mean they make all kinds of roof stuff.

I am soon to purchase hard ski tubes for our upcoming air travel to CO next march and I know those can be crossbar mounted on a car top. But even that , it just seems some simple cover of some sort would exist for placing skis in a ski rack.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If not using a ski bag, make sure you wipe the skis down well with a damp cloth afterwards . Also, tips to the back.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, heavy duty garbage bags, bungee strapped or duck tape.

Shifterkart

Putting on skis
Skier
I use zip up ski bags and and three or four velcro straps to prevent flapping in the wind. They do get dirty but I through t hem in the washer when we get home.

James

Out There
Instructor
Goodness. Give him what he wants.

Yes, they're called binding covers. Not as available now but still around. -barely. How wide are your skis? That could be an issue.
IMG_4436.JPG

https://www.alpineaccessories.com/mobile/Rossignol-binding-cover/productinfo/R0BC/
I think goes to 95mm.

I guess this Transpack one is heavier. Goes to 110mm skis.
IMG_4437.JPG

https://www.alpineaccessories.com/mobile/Snow-ski-binding-cover/productinfo/TPBC/

Alpine accessories seems to be the place.

Cheaper, same Rossi
http://www.snowsportsforless.com/Rossignol-Ski-Binding-Cover

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Thing that worries me about ski racks is that everyone can see the skis on top of the car. I'd be worried about thieves tearing the whole rack off the car skis and all and tossing it in the back of a pick up truck when you're inside a fast food place eating or stopping at a rest stop to use the bathroom on the way to or from the resort. With the skis in a box they can't see if it's worth the risk to try to steal them.. With them in the car they have to go through a lot more effort to get them.

Full length bags offer at least some of the protection of thieves not knowing exactly what's inside. I used that method before I found my ski box on Craigslist for $50.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Thing that worries me about ski racks is that everyone can see the skis on top of the car. I'd be worried about thieves tearing the whole rack off the car skis and all and tossing it in the back of a pick up truck when you're inside a fast food place eating or stopping at a rest stop to use the bathroom on the way to or from the resort. With the skis in a box they can't see if it's worth the risk to try to steal them.. With them in the car they have to go through a lot more effort to get them.

Full length bags offer at least some of the protection of thieves not knowing exactly what's inside. I used that method before I found my ski box on Craigslist for $50.

You tend to worry about things that don't happen. ogsmile Gear gets stolen if left unattended more in the timeframe of hours, not minutes. I mean reslly, tearing a ski rack off a car in a McDonalds? :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
Yep, and going to church! Might not come out -ever, and then it doesn't matter if the skis are there.

Maybe you should think about a different ski area? Doing it in Detroit may not be so great.

street-skiing-detroit-rubble.jpg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You could rub some wax down the metal edges. I've never had any trouble with the salt spray causing corrosion. If there's enough rain/snow/slush splashing around to hit your skis most of it is plain old water which rinses off any salt spray. Our skis get more rust if we put them on the porch without drying them then they do from the actual car ride.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I have never had a box or room to put skis inside a vehicle with people & gear so I've always been using racks. NEVER put skis on a rack without a cover even in good dry weather! All it takes is a small piece of grit or sand to find its way into the binding and hinder a roller or cause even a small delay in releasing to damage a knee!

In the old days every shop had dozens of ski bags to choose from. Today they're all padded or have wheels and don't work well in racks. A few years ago I made it a mission to find a decent ski bag and found the Dekine Single Ski Sleeve! I loved it so much I bought one for each of my skis! It's pretty tough material that protects them from any weather & salt I've encountered on my 2.5 hour drive to ski in MI. It doesn't flap around and wear out as some of the cheaper/thinner ones will. My first one has been on my car for 3 winters and has made this trip 100 times and it looks new after I clean it. They will also hold poles and clothing if not on a rack and they are sized to easily hold a wide powder ski !!!

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Goodness. Give him what he wants.

Yes, they're called binding covers. Not as available now but still around. -barely. How wide are your skis? That could be an issue.
View attachment 33712

https://www.alpineaccessories.com/mobile/Rossignol-binding-cover/productinfo/R0BC/
I think goes to 95mm.

I guess this Transpack one is heavier. Goes to 110mm skis.
View attachment 33713
https://www.alpineaccessories.com/mobile/Snow-ski-binding-cover/productinfo/TPBC/

Alpine accessories seems to be the place.

Cheaper, same Rossi
http://www.snowsportsforless.com/Rossignol-Ski-Binding-Cover[/QUOTE
Just ordered the Transpack units 3 of them were 53 bucks and change- been looking for something like this- thanks!- usually the skis are in my covered PU bed but have a rack on the CR-V that gets moved to the subie sometimes.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought these about 20 years ago to use with my ski rack (but then switched to a Thule box).

Probably not too practical for a company to make a similar product today since there are so many ski length and width combinations.

A4B5A87D-E57A-4B96-9D39-35225FC810E9.jpeg
0E86D6E0-A686-4C91-951C-E2328ABB765D.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online