• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Promachine 120: New Liner or New Boot?

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Cheers--I've been skiing the Nordica Promachine 120 (w custom insole) for a few years, and I have often wished for a tighter ankle pocket. I have a high arch with matching instep, but a pretty narrow foot. It seems that high-insteps and tight ankles don't always play well with each other. While the PM don't ski like a race-boot, those days have passed and I am pretty happy with the comfort and warmth. So--a few ideas I have to address this:
  1. Get a Zipfit Gara LV and ski the Promachine shell. ($500 or so, no shops nearby, direct order.)
  2. Get a Mimic Pro Liner and ski the Promachine shell ($300 or so, not in stock locally. Possible availability problems.)
  3. Buy a HawxUltra Pro 130 locally. ($900-1000, available locally. Possibly soften shell a bit. I assume the Hawx and PM ski fairly similarly?)
Any thoughts or advice from the experts here?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
#1) Ski sock with shin and heel cushioning only works for me

example:

^ "contoured shin and ankle cushioning"

#2) Bootfitter L shaped stickies

Reactions: ejj

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
3. Buy a HawxUltra Pro 130 locally. ($900-1000, available locally. Possibly soften shell a bit. I assume the Hawx and PM ski fairly similarly?)
I'll speak to your #3, as this is a similar move to one I just made...

I skied the ProMachine 115W for the past few years, and just swapped to the UltraHawx 115W at the beginning of this season. Keep in mind, I do not (currently) have the professional liner in the Ultra Hawx, so that could definitely change some of these impressions:
- The Nordica's fit a little shorter than the Ultra Hawx. I did go down a size in the Hawx, but I think I would have had some trouble with the length of the Promachine in the next size down (never found a pair of 22.5 ProMachines to try).
- I found the ProMachine's instep to be higher than the Hawx (one of my major drivers to changing boots)
- I think the ProMachine liner had a tighter ankle pocket (but the Professional liner could affect this).
- I find the Hawx to be softer than the ProMachine...especially in cold temperatures, this is despite both being "115".
- The Hawx sits lower on my calf/shin, which took a little bit to get used to, but after a dozen days or so, I've gotten used to it. This could also be different in the non-women's version.

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
#1) Ski sock with shin and heel cushioning only works for me

example:

^ "contoured shin and ankle cushioning"

#2) Bootfitter L shaped stickies
FWIW on socks. Nothing against the popular SmartWool, Darn Tough and others but I have found none last or perform like Swiftwick Pursuit. On performance, I've been nutty or stupid enough to do some MTB and gravel bike endurance stuff. Now they make those in a very high length and I the heel/ankle area are fantastic like my dedicated ski socks.

They are one of those expensive items I get anyway. You can sign up or get periodic discounts. I won't say night and day better than other popular brands but as an outdoor busy sort of person year-round they became a favorite.

TS
ejj

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
I'll speak to your #3, as this is a similar move to one I just made...

I skied the ProMachine 115W for the past few years, and just swapped to the UltraHawx 115W at the beginning of this season. Keep in mind, I do not (currently) have the professional liner in the Ultra Hawx, so that could definitely change some of these impressions:
- The Nordica's fit a little shorter than the Ultra Hawx. I did go down a size in the Hawx, but I think I would have had some trouble with the length of the Promachine in the next size down (never found a pair of 22.5 ProMachines to try).
- I found the ProMachine's instep to be higher than the Hawx (one of my major drivers to changing boots)
- I think the ProMachine liner had a tighter ankle pocket (but the Professional liner could affect this).
- I find the Hawx to be softer than the ProMachine...especially in cold temperatures, this is despite both being "115".
- The Hawx sits lower on my calf/shin, which took a little bit to get used to, but after a dozen days or so, I've gotten used to it. This could also be different in the non-women's version.
Thanks for your reply—some great first-hand experience here! The shaft-height comment makes me a little cautious. I’m tall with long legs and love taller boots. Either way, you gave me a few things to consider.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Thanks for your reply—some great first-hand experience here! The shaft-height comment makes me a little cautious. I’m tall with long legs and love taller boots. Either way, you gave me a few things to consider.
Just an FYI - it sounds like you will be looking at the men's/unisex Hawx Ultra, which is one of the tallest boots on the market, if not the tallest. Women's boot cuff is not the same as the men's/unisex.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January