• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pressure on "tightness"?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
What is the mechanism where "tight", hard, and sore muscles are made better by the application of localized PRESSURE?

I roll out my sciatic on the floor with a la Cross ball. I've just "helped myself" with direct pressure on the neck and shoulder to soften a stiff muscle that comes from jerking around a snow machine mired in three feet of soft snow.

I'm happy such simple efforts are sufficient. I wonder why? Perhaps you can advise......

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Simple answer? The physiological mechanism is not really understood. Sure, there are theories (Gate Theory, mechanoreceptors etc) but they haven't been proven.

There are a few studies that show that massage can have an effect on tissue, but thats about it.

(And I'm a massage therapist, so this is my bread and butter, but my strong feeling about it is that our brains think it helps and so therefore it helps)

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Thanks for that clarification kimmyt.

Now I can stop wondering,...even if the discomfort keeps me awake in the early morning hours. ;-)
Motrin seems to work......

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Motrin works because it reduces inflammation. Massage has actually been shown to do that, as well (theres a fairly well-designed if small-sample-size study on athletes showing a reduction in DOMS with post-sport massage therapy) but the thing is they just don't know how.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online