• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Powell Movement interviews Andy Mahre

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @PowellMovement for this impromptu interview with Andy Mahre, son of Steve, nephew of Phil. Andy didn't have his contract renewed with K2 and to hear how it happened is pretty disturbing under the circumstances. Listen to the interview, very good and very enlightening and again and I asked early on..what next? Powder Magazine/Powell Movement.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That interview is...wow!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting and informative interview, and very sobering.

It is sad that K2's apparent demise is happening right when K2 has revamped their line up and has well-regarding skis across their whole product line, not to mention the boots. I hope whomever purchases the brand, should it happen, be at least as committed to great products as they are to the bottom line.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
The new owners, with the intention of being committed to great products, will probably instead re-invent the K2 wheel in their own image, creating an all-new product line. New owners tend to operate that way.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting podcast. Seems like a shitty situation. Totally agree with what Mahre was saying. Some Types of businesses don't work as well in a corporate umbrella.

Last edited:

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Wow. The imminent demise of an icon is on the horizon. My best man when Martha and I got married had been the manufacturing manager at K2 when the Mahres were at their peak and they still made all their skis on Vashon Island. He had a disagreement with the CEO and quit in 1986.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The answer to that is on the Sean Pettit 'Sponsored Episode'. Check it out on www.thepowellmovement.com, it's in past episodes.

Enjoy and if you want to laugh, check out the 'inappropriate questions' podcasts there too. They are 10 minutes of fun!
I listened to the Andy Mahre interview, it was great! Excited to hear the Pettit interview...

roadguy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The new owners, with the intention of being committed to great products, will probably instead re-invent the K2 wheel in their own image, creating an all-new product line. New owners tend to operate that way.

I doubt they will try and re-invent the K2 wheel. They don't know anything about the business and probably don't care. Most of the stuff posted here are only speculations about what's really going on at K2. For years the people involved at K2 have been passionate about skiing and about product. This will not change with new owners. I know they've had something like 4 different owners that I can remember. I also remember when Rossi was going through a rough stretch and then they made the Soul 7....funny but the good companies will always bounce back.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I doubt they will try and re-invent the K2 wheel. They don't know anything about the business and probably don't care. Most of the stuff posted here are only speculations about what's really going on at K2. For years the people involved at K2 have been passionate about skiing and about product. This will not change with new owners. I know they've had something like 4 different owners that I can remember. I also remember when Rossi was going through a rough stretch and then they made the Soul 7....funny but the good companies will always bounce back.

I am pulling for this optimistic view.

Strongly.

I skied K2 pretty near exclusively from 1970 (XR10, anyone?!) through about forever, then drifted away for 10 years to present, when I snagged a pair of Pinnacle 118s in 191 off fleabay last April for near zero dollars.

Excited to be back. Gotta pull for a long-term American company with a history like K2!

CharlieP

Putting on skis
Skier
Sept 28, 2016

The Mahre family. What a class act. :thumb::thumb::thumb:. Skied with both Phil and Steve a few years back when they were representing Volant skis. Made a point of skiing White Pass Ski Area in April, when I was doing my Northwest Ski Areas tour.

ps: another interesting and enjoyable podcast. Thanks Mike.

Last edited:

PowellMovement

Booting up
Industry Insider
Sept 28, 2016

The Mahre family. What a class act. :thumb::thumb::thumb:. Skied with both Phil and Steve a few years back when they were representing Volant skis. Made a point of skiing White Pass Ski Area in April, when I was doing my Northwest Ski Areas tour.

ps: another interesting and enjoyable podcast. Thanks Mike.
Thanks Charlie!!!
Here is the lineup for the coming weeks:
Colby West (I do make him uncomfortable on inappropriate questions)
Chris Benchetler
Michelle Parker
Kent Kreitler
Sammy Carlson
Glen Plake

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Charlie!!!
Here is the lineup for the coming weeks:
Colby West (I do make him uncomfortable on inappropriate questions)
Chris Benchetler
Michelle Parker
Kent Kreitler
Sammy Carlson
Glen Plake

I liked the Mahre interview too. That's a helluva upcoming lineup. Look forward to it.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Liked the Colby one more than the Andy Mahre though seemed to skip the story on what a sh#tshow Coreupt ending up being. Should be mandatory listening for kids thinking getting sponsored is a path to easy street.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Andy is back with K2 now. We ran into him, Pep Fujas along with some K2's design team at Alta while we were at The Gathering.
fullsizeoutput_6af7-jpeg.40863

Sponsor

Staff online