• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
My 2c ...

If you want a powder ski, get a true powder ski to complete your quiver. Don't worry about hardpack performance -- if you're spending any meaningful time on hardpack you have the Bones.

Get something that excels ins 6"+. That is designed for powder and resort chop. That is -- a "looser" rocker profile and tip/tail profile, medium-plus flexing for after it gets tracked a bit. If you're traveling to "out west" that may mean no skiing weekends == longer til stuff gets completely tracked.

If I were your size looking for a pow ski I'd be looking for something 115mm underfoot, ample tip/tail rocker, and mid-180s.

Beyond what Phil mentioned, I'd take a look at / try to demo:

- On3p Billy Goat. RES tip is something special in its maneuverability in beat-up conditions. Plus insane build quality.
- DPS Lotus 124. Maybe the 112RP.

I'll second the Billygoat. Though not a popular ski by this crowd, it has a legion of fans.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Resort powder ski can mean a lot of different things to different people.
  • Do you want twin tips?
  • Are you looking for high speed charging through crud?
  • Are you looking for superb maneuverability in deep snow in tight spots (often trees are where the powder gets blown deepest and remains the longest in a resort)?
  • Etc, etc.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Resort powder ski can mean a lot of different things to different people.
  • Do you want twin tips?
  • Are you looking for high speed charging through crud?
  • Are you looking for superb maneuverability in deep snow in tight spots (often trees are where the powder gets blown deepest and remains the longest in a resort)?
  • Etc, etc.

If yes to any of these, then you want the Billygoat.

Reactions: BC.
TS
D

DCL

Booting up
Skier
If yes to any of these, then you want the Billygoat.

Thanks, appreciate all the feedback and a lot of it has made me think about what I am looking for more. I would say yes to all of these and a ski that will help me learn how to ski on big powder skis better as I'd like to start doing a bit of heli or cat skiing in next couple years and just haven't spent much time on skis of this size in the past. Historically I've used my Bonafides or something similar for everything.

TS
D

DCL

Booting up
Skier
I picked up the Kastle BMX 115 in 185 from @Bobalooski. I now have my three ski quiver set:

Kastle FX85 HD
Blizzard Bonafide
Kastle FX115

I now need to delete my account so I stop buying skis.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I picked up the Kastle BMX 115 in 185 from @Bobalooski. I now have my three ski quiver set:

Kastle FX85 HD
Blizzard Bonafide
Kastle FX115

I now need to delete my account so I stop buying skis.

No rock skis. No touring skis. You have a long way to go....

Reactions: DCL

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My 2c ...

If you want a powder ski, get a true powder ski to complete your quiver. Don't worry about hardpack performance -- if you're spending any meaningful time on hardpack you have the Bones.

Get something that excels ins 6"+. That is designed for powder and resort chop. That is -- a "looser" rocker profile and tip/tail profile, medium-plus flexing for after it gets tracked a bit. If you're traveling to "out west" that may mean no skiing weekends == longer til stuff gets completely tracked.

If I were your size looking for a pow ski I'd be looking for something 115mm underfoot, ample tip/tail rocker, and mid-180s.

Beyond what Phil mentioned, I'd take a look at / try to demo:

- On3p Billy Goat. RES tip is something special in its maneuverability in beat-up conditions. Plus insane build quality.
- DPS Lotus 124. Maybe the 112RP.

I'll second the Billygoat. Though not a popular ski by this crowd, it has a legion of fans.

Yeah, I’m looking at the BillyGoat. I keep wondering whther I really need a ski as wide as 116, that said, it was absolutely the best mixed chop and heavy crud ski I demoed. In 184 it was stable, in 179 it was like dancing on snow, it was so nimble. I’m a little torn between those two sizes. I’m 148-150lbs, 5’10” and I think I’m leaning to the 179.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Yeah, I’m looking at the BillyGoat. I keep wondering whther I really need a ski as wide as 116, that said, it was absolutely the best mixed chop and heavy crud ski I demoed. In 184 it was stable, in 179 it was like dancing on snow, it was so nimble. I’m a little torn between those two sizes. I’m 148-150lbs, 5’10” and I think I’m leaning to the 179.

If it makes you feel any better -- 179 in On3p terms is like 181/182 in almost all other manufacturers terms. They measure post-press length, not pre-press length like most.

Sponsor