• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DCL

Booting up
Skier
Well, I'm going to try again as my first post yesterday scored me a great deal on a great ski. I'm wanting to get a powder ski to complete my three ski quiver (last night I thought I was a two ski quiver kind of guy but changed my mind this morning). I'm 6'2 and around 200 pounds or so (give or take 10 pounds). I'm looking for a powder ski for deep days out west - predominately ski Alta, Telluride and Taos. I want something that is good in the deep stuff but I can also be comfortable skiing the mountain with when things get tracked out. My other two skis are the Kastle FX85 HD 181 and Blizzard Bonafide 180.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Three...no..four...actua...five...err..six...no..seven...well..eight...nine..why not an even ten..eleven looks like two skis...a dozen...a bakers dozen..is a perfect ski quiver. Official answer is N+1. You are on the right track.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You have 2 nice ski options to choose from with the Kastle and Blizz for most ski conditions probably anywhere!

If you wanted to add a 3rd for pure unadulterated powder slaying.......at your size, have you considered the Blizzard Spur?

If I lived somewhere more appropriate.....I would love to get on that baby. It sounds perfect! :drool:

Reactions: DCL
TS
D

DCL

Booting up
Skier
Thanks all for the replies. And maybe BC raises a good point as I live in Texas and normally will only fly with two skis and the two skis I have probably cover 90-95% of the conditions I'm going to face. I guess I could stick with my 2 ski quiver and demo/rent powder skis when I need them but that isn't as much fun (but maybe more practical).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Though I haven't skied it yet, I'm liking what I see and hear about the new Nordica Enforcer Pro for guys our size.

Seems to have beef, but not demand full-on charging at all times to behave well.

My short list is the Enforcer Pro 115, Kore 117 and Ranger 115.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Which ski did you just pick up? If it's the Bonafide, I might wait and see how that performs in powder while on a trip before committing to a powder ski.

TS
D

DCL

Booting up
Skier
I've had the Bonafide for two seasons now. I just picked up the Kastle FX.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I really liked the Rustler 11 I demoed yesterday as a pretty burly resort powder ski. (I am 6-2 185). I demoed the 192cm length which is 116mm wide and liked it but recognize it might be a bit too much for most and if I were to buy it I would probably choose the 188cm length. It felt solid, trustworthy and responsive. It was specially good through crud and chopped up pow. It was manageable in moguls as well.

Another ski that I loved yesterday was the Dynastar Legend X106 in 188cm. Wow. Superb ski for the western resorts in soft snow conditions. It was another ski I would buy no question.

The Nordica Enforcer 110 185cm was another good ski for me yesterday although I preferred the 2 above. It felt like a more mature Patron (more stable, not a as quick but still fun). Hard to go wrong with that ski as a resort powder ski for out west.

The KORE 117 I did not try and the 105 I need to try again to have a say on it.

I own a Moment Deathwish in 190cm and love it. Perfect resort pow ski in 2-3" fresh to several feet of fresh (I used it all last season). It has great edge grip but its also easy to pivot in tight spots. It can be skied to make different turn shapes no problem. Its a ski I trust. The Moment Bibby is also a ski that has received great reviews for what you need it for and your size.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Maybe look at the QST 106 if you're in the price range of new or one year old skis. It's obviously not a full on powder ski, but everything I've read is that it floats the best in the 101-110 category. Seems like getting a full blown powder ski when you don't live in a place that dumps isn't the greatest investment.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
He wants something like this:

https://www.gearx.com/dps-skis-lotu...L1wIVCMZkCh1tfwWjEAYYAiABEgIymvD_BwE#522=1479

or this

https://2ndtracks.com/dps-lotus-138-pure-skis-202cm.html

I owned both for a couple years but they were a bit much in the resort at my size. If I found a pair of either at a size down, I'd buy them again. For the OP on the other hand...he is just right for them.

I still have great memories of catching a rope drop on Milk Run at Solitude with powder up to my nipples on the 138's, amazing skis.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
My 2c ...

If you want a powder ski, get a true powder ski to complete your quiver. Don't worry about hardpack performance -- if you're spending any meaningful time on hardpack you have the Bones.

Get something that excels ins 6"+. That is designed for powder and resort chop. That is -- a "looser" rocker profile and tip/tail profile, medium-plus flexing for after it gets tracked a bit. If you're traveling to "out west" that may mean no skiing weekends == longer til stuff gets completely tracked.

If I were your size looking for a pow ski I'd be looking for something 115mm underfoot, ample tip/tail rocker, and mid-180s.

Beyond what Phil mentioned, I'd take a look at / try to demo:

- On3p Billy Goat. RES tip is something special in its maneuverability in beat-up conditions. Plus insane build quality.
- DPS Lotus 124. Maybe the 112RP.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys should talk him into buying my 193 Volkl Shiros.....:roflmao:

Although I have so many great days on those babies....I might keep them to hang in my shop!

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Although I have so many great days on those babies....I might keep them to hang in my shop!

193 Shiros would disappear quick if you posted them over on TGR.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

Great skis. Do it all provided you get some soft snow.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, in jest...if he was looking for a Pow slayer....the Shiro is arguably one of the favorites.

The guys I ski with love when I pull those babies out of the back of my truck!....makes for a fun day.....

My Shiro will be with me until I “retire” it to the wall in my shop.

“Unless I get an offer, I can’t refuse”...:beercheer:

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nordica Enforcer 110
Blizzard Rustler 11
Head Kore 117
Volkl Confession

WWDKD? What Would @Drahtguy Kevin do?

When things get deeper than deep I use my Nordica Patrons 193. They see a day or two a season now. I’ve converted to a Nordica Vagabond 185 for early season pow and picked up Völkl 100Eights 189 for travel and serious local pow adventures up to about 20” or so. The narrower pow skis are much better when things get chewed up and tree skiing.

If’n I was looking to replace the Patrons, it’d be with the Völkl Confession. I haven’t skied the chubby Kore but loved the Kore 105.