• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Powder Chaser Ski Club

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Usually the chase is Utah or Mammoth but I would like to expand on that to include CO, Grand Targhee (drive from SLC), and the Spokane/Seattle region. All these areas have relatively inexpensive last minute airfares.

DO IT!!!!

My thoughts: that's an extensive list of potential resorts. Knowledge of the mountain is super important in maximizing your powder turns. It's unlikely your group will know all those ski areas well. The obvious stuff gets tracked up so quickly.

While I've done a lot of powder chasing, most of my best days have been at the handful of areas I know like the back of my hand because I'm still finding great snow a day or two after the storm.

Maybe focus on mountains you know well or where can hook up with a local? Or, consider upping your budget to hire an instructor to guide your group?

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just one word. No, not plastics. Japan.
Ha! Actually, for kicks I have checked out airfare about a week in advance from LAX to Sapporo and it wasn't too bad surprisingly. IIRC about $1000. That would be an awesome chase!!!

Last edited:
TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
DO IT!!!!

My thoughts: that's an extensive list of potential resorts. Knowledge of the mountain is super important in maximizing your powder turns. It's unlikely your group will know all those ski areas well. The obvious stuff gets tracked up so quickly.

While I've done a lot of powder chasing, most of my best days have been at the handful of areas I know like the back of my hand because I'm still finding great snow a day or two after the storm.

Maybe focus on mountains you know well or where can hook up with a local? Or, consider upping your budget to hire an instructor to guide your group?

Hi Tball, I still think back to when you helped me tremendously with lots of great info for Copper in 2014. That was a planned trip that ended up being some of the best conditions I have ever skied. Thanks again! I agree 100% about local knowledge. It makes all the difference and I try to meet locals wherever I go or at least get some ideas from the nice folks here and before on that other site. One of my chase ideas involves hiring a guide at Powder mtn for $220 for the entire day. Divide that by 3 or 4 and its really a sweet deal. The tough part for the further chases is my time crunch due to still working. I like to be able to ski and then fly home on the same day and many flights are too early for that to happen. Only 13 more years till retirement!!!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Ha! Actually, for kicks I have checked out airfare about a week in advance from LAX to Sapporo and it wasn't too bad surprisingly. IIRC about $1000. That would be an awesome chase!!!

For Hokkaido, fly to Sapporo, not Tokyo. Or, from Tokyo, take the Shinkansen to Nagano Prefecture. Either way, long transit and date line crossing. Pugski has a Japan trip.

Sponsor