• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Powder Chaser Ski Club

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
OK, so its not really an official "club" but more of a concept that I've been thinking about and thought I would share here to see if it could gain any traction. I have a few friends that like to chase with me but it would be nice to add to the group for more options as all of us are still working. Luckily, most of us have jobs that allow some flexibility. I, unfortunately, have the most rigid schedule and therefore I block chunks of midweek days throughout the season and try to get lucky.

We are all based in So Cal and mostly fly out of LAX or some small charters like jetsuiteX but if there are others from anywhere in the US that are close to a major airport I think it could work. I'm in Orange County and sometimes can get a good deal out of John Wayne. Usually the chase is Utah or Mammoth but I would like to expand on that to include CO, Grand Targhee (drive from SLC), and the Spokane/Seattle region. All these areas have relatively inexpensive last minute airfares.

I look for places that are a bit off the radar (not Altabird for ex) for less competition but still good terrain. We are all advanced skiers looking for deep stuff with a good pitch and not so much tight steep couloirs with mandatory airs. So far, its only men age range of mid 40s to low 70s, just to give an idea,but of course anyone interested would be very welcome regardless of age/sex.

What I've found is you can get 2 good days of resort powder skiing for about $1000 give or take which, to me, is very worth it. It helps to have local knowledge and I have been fortunate to meet some very nice folks that will show me around and I, of course, show my gratitude with as much food/drink as they can handle.

There is risk with the chase. It doesn't always work out as planned. That's one of the reasons why I would like to discuss here. The more knowledge when it comes to chasing the better. ie. difficult roads, public transport ideas, timing, terrain closures etc

Please let me know if you are interested or just have any powder chasing advice. Thanks very much.

Agreen

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the powder chasing is a muggs game, akin to finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You have to be there when it happens, or be so close , as if to be there. If you hear of a big dumping somewhere and you have to get on a plane or a train ,by the time you arrive , the snow is gone. or skied out so much you may as well say its gone. Or , you're that close , but you can't get there there because the dumping has closed all access to wherever it is you want to be.
So, you have to live there , and be part of the situation ,and then you get to play. Or , have friends in the know at NOAA or other forecasters and anticipate the upcoming dumpage and arrive the day before. How much luck does that take?
Maybe the way is to spend the 10k at CMH , and cut the odds?

I'm sure other people have figured it out, but I haven't yet.

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well I've always found a pot of gold. The thing is, sometimes the pot is full and sometimes there is only a few coins at the bottom. With good forecasting ie. Opensnow it's pretty reliable within 48 hours or so of a storm. The problem is the accuracy of the amount of snowfall at a particular area. So the best way is to get to a region and then be flexible on where to go. Don't prepurchase lift tickets. In terms of timing the storm we like to fly in during or just before the storm and ski through it. Most of the time it's 2 days of storm skiing and then bluebird. The key is to find places that ski well during a storm and have decent roads or a mountain shuttle. In terms of flights, I'm amazed that SLC is clear or lightly raining while it's dumping in the mountains. I haven't had any cancellations just minor delays.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
we have been doing exactly that for over 40 years.
but despite being within a days driving range of a variety of great regions and a multitude of hills in BC Alberta Washington Idaho and Montana, even when that forecast is wonderful and the timing seems perfect, the element of luck always plays a big part.
In all honesty I have probably had just as many thigh deep bluebird days by accident as by planning.
but good luck, i'm still trying

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
we have been doing exactly that for over 40 years.
but despite being within a days driving range of a variety of great regions and a multitude of hills in BC Alberta Washington Idaho and Montana, even when that forecast is wonderful and the timing seems perfect, the element of luck always plays a big part.
In all honesty I have probably had just as many thigh deep bluebird days by accident as by planning.
but good luck, i'm still trying
But I bet you haven't had many glare ice conditions when chasing, correct? That's why I started doing it. I'd plan a trip months in advance and get crappy conditions sometimes. I've had a lot of really good powder days with planned trips too but its a crapshoot. Also, there is something kind of exhilarating with the chase. Now I do planned trips with the family and mostly chase trips with my friends. Good luck this year and happy chasing.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Agreen, you may not be aware but in winter one of the US airline flies direct LAX to Kelowna International airport. Big White and Silver Star are each about 3/4 hours away and several cat and heli ski ops in the area as well as decent access to Revelstoke, Red and Whitewater as well as Sun Peaks and Apex.

Also, I think we skied together at Mammoth a few years ago. It was just before the Mammoth-Squaw Gathering. Anyway I recall you saying that you were looking for an uncrowded place to take your young family skiing during the Xmas holidays that didn't involve changing planes or long drives after landing. Well, flying to Kelowna and skiing Silver Star fits the bill. (Forget Big White Out as it is too foggy and too close to Kelowna, pop190k). The small city of Vernon (pop 40k) is about 30min from Kelowna airport and Silver Star is about 20 minutes from Vernon. AND the snow quality is world class. SS offers very mellow terrain and quite steep terrain.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
we don't plan for glare ice conditions but it happens. Along with death cookies refrozen gumbo, sideways drifts, shlop and zero vis.
if your chasing powder there is always more at the hills which have the most poor visibility days.
Your usually either below clouds or in them. Those sunny powder days are great when they occur but you may already have missed the better snow.
if you time your trip to line up with sunshine you'll be too late.

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Agreen, you may not be aware but in winter one of the US airline flies direct LAX to Kelowna International airport. Big White and Silver Star are each about 3/4 hours away and several cat and heli ski ops in the area as well as decent access to Revelstoke, Red and Whitewater as well as Sun Peaks and Apex.

Also, I think we skied together at Mammoth a few years ago. It was just before the Mammoth-Squaw Gathering. Anyway I recall you saying that you were looking for an uncrowded place to take your young family skiing during the Xmas holidays that didn't involve changing planes or long drives after landing. Well, flying to Kelowna and skiing Silver Star fits the bill. (Forget Big White Out as it is too foggy and too close to Kelowna, pop190k). The small city of Vernon (pop 40k) is about 30min from Kelowna airport and Silver Star is about 20 minutes from Vernon. AND the snow quality is world class. SS offers very mellow terrain and quite steep terrain.
Hi Dano, yes I remember skiing with you at Mammoth and that discussion we had for my family trip. We didnt have the best conditions that day but still had fun. I think it hadn't snowed in 20 days approx. but Mammoth holds snow pretty well and the wind helps. Thanks for the heads up on the direct flight to Kelowna. I would love to check out Sun Peaks, SS, and Apex. I would feel comfortable planning a trip in advance for those places in peak winter months. I'm sure its pretty rare for icy conditions mid Jan for ex. If I make my way up there I'll be sure to PM you to see if you are around so we can make some turns again. Have a great season!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think your endeavor is pretty cool!

I did one season of local powder chasing several years ago. When a big storm hit, I would drive up that night, often at the peak of the storm, and ski in the morning. t's around 3 hours to Vermont in dry weather -- usually no more than an extra hour of driving, and no traffic! It worked out great.

I did learn not to go for Mad River Glenn for a week-day overnight powder event. Lots of locals show up, ski till it's tracked out, and then go to work.

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think your endeavor is pretty cool!

I did one season of local powder chasing several years ago. When a big storm hit, I would drive up that night, often at the peak of the storm, and ski in the morning. t's around 3 hours to Vermont in dry weather -- usually no more than an extra hour of driving, and no traffic! It worked out great.

I did learn not to go for Mad River Glenn for a week-day overnight powder event. Lots of locals show up, ski till it's tracked out, and then go to work.
Thanks mdf. Funny you should post because my 1st ever storm chase I skied with you and many others at Powder mountain during a smallish storm that was supposed to be much bigger. I bought my plane ticket 3 days in advance and then the storm fizzled a bit. But, if you recall that day, the conditions were still pretty good especially on Lightning Ridge when we took the snow cat up. When I bought the ticket they were calling for a 3 foot dump and I think it turned into about 8 inches. I had my Fat-y-pus 126's with me which was overkill to say the least. I think you guys had a great rest of the week with lots of deep powder, correct?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello again @agreen !
For me the highlight of that Powder Mtn day was figuring out how to get up on that little peak that held one of the lift towers. Seemed like pretty adventurous route-finding at the time. I met several people for the first time that day.

The powder day of the week was at Solitude. We got about an hour of deep untracked on the marked runs before we had to start looking in the woods.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been powder chasing VT for decades. Like mdf, I have Driven through many a stormy night and reaped the rewards the next morning. I sometimes ski with a group of guys who powder chase JH every winter. They watch the weather cycles and book last minute. Had a fantastic time with them last january. They only ski back country and because of that they only go to JH because they like getting to know a region and they can still do a lot of exploring.

Me, I like to explore new areas and I don't mind skiing on piste when there is fresh snow to be tracked!

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is a cool idea for all the dentists on here. I've found the best time to fly and chase powder is late spring. Airfare, lodging, and car rentals are all cheaper. Crowds are usually starting to thin and you have guaranteed snow pack even if you miss the storm. Southwest also does killer deals on airfare after spring break. I can fly to Denver from Phoenix for less than a $100 most of the time.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
This is a cool idea for all the dentists on here. I've found the best time to fly and chase powder is late spring. Airfare, lodging, and car rentals are all cheaper. Crowds are usually starting to thin and you have guaranteed snow pack even if you miss the storm. Southwest also does killer deals on airfare after spring break. I can fly to Denver from Phoenix for less than a $100 most of the time.

I don't get the dentistry part of your post.:huh:

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
One key factor in powder chasing is the accuracy of the forecast.

Having lived on both coast, my impression is forecast in the left coast isn't as reliable as on the right coast. I think part of the reason maybe the difficulty of tracking weather over the Pacific before they hit the west coast. Whilst on the right side of the continent, they have all the data point as the weather moves across the continent.

I've had reasonable success chasing storms in the northeast, whilst more frustration getting stuck in traffics on the highways between Cali and Tahoe!

Never tried flying to chase storms.

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've been powder chasing VT for decades. Like mdf, I have Driven through many a stormy night and reaped the rewards the next morning. I sometimes ski with a group of guys who powder chase JH every winter. They watch the weather cycles and book last minute. Had a fantastic time with them last january. They only ski back country and because of that they only go to JH because they like getting to know a region and they can still do a lot of exploring.

Me, I like to explore new areas and I don't mind skiing on piste when there is fresh snow to be tracked!
Hi Crank, I think I remember seeing an amazing video of you in deep powder around JH backcountry. One of my favorite vids. Was that a chase trip? If so, nice! If not, wow you are lucky!!!

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
One key factor in powder chasing is the accuracy of the forecast.

Having lived on both coast, my impression is forecast in the left coast isn't as reliable as on the right coast. I think part of the reason maybe the difficulty of tracking weather over the Pacific before they hit the west coast. Whilst on the right side of the continent, they have all the data point as the weather moves across the continent.

I've had reasonable success chasing storms in the northeast, whilst more frustration getting stuck in traffics on the highways between Cali and Tahoe!

Never tried flying to chase storms.

I've noticed trickier forecasting on the north left as compared to Utah, CO, and Mammoth. Evan does a great job in Utah about 3 days in advance.

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
I don't get the dentistry part of your post.:huh:
Not following either but I'll take a stab because I like the competition!
Dentists do pretty well financially and can set their own schedule. Both are conducive for chasing especially when last minute airfair is involved.
Or it was a typo?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi Crank, I think I remember seeing an amazing video of you in deep powder around JH backcountry. One of my favorite vids. Was that a chase trip? If so, nice! If not, wow you are lucky!!!

Yes a couple feet of absolute cold smoke powder on top of an already deep base right in JH's sweet spot of late January. It didn't snow much past the second day we were there, but the temps remained single digits which was great for preserving the light, dry fluff already on the ground. We did a lot of hiking and skinning and I couldn't get my buddies to ski even 1 inbounds run - even though I know I could have found fresh tracks without hiking. Fun and exhausting trip!

In my mind if you can go on short notice storm chasing is the way to go. This year I already have 18 days all planned and booked out west and will just have to hope for the best,

Sponsor