• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most motels come with a portable tuning bench set up. Sometimes you have to look in the closet but there's usually one in there somewhere..
Iron-and-Board.jpg

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:That's funny shit...... but true.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
View attachment 31872 View attachment 31873 View attachment 31874 View attachment 31872 View attachment 31873 View attachment 31874 View attachment 31873 View attachment 31874 I have been very happy following Slidewrights suggestion several years ago. I bought a very heavy duty folding sawhorse called the Stablemate made by Fulton Ind. Heavy but very stable compared to the light weight folding benches, but still portable if you are traveling by car/suv/truck. I added a 48"x 16" top with two sets of lasso vises. I also use a long roll-up rubber treadmill mat underneath. I live in a condo without a garage so I set up the bench with mat as needed inside the hallway. Sets up and folds away quickly to be stored in the hall closet. JMD
I just received my Stablemate.
That is a nice piece of equipment!
It will make an excellent base.
Thanks for the idea.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Thanks for the Stablemate suggestion @JMD :golfclap:
It really is a nice piece of equipment.
I had some extra shelving in my garage.
IMG_1689[1].JPG

Add one Stablemate.
IMG_1690[1].JPG

Center it up.
IMG_1691[1].JPG

Drill it out and bolt it up.
Voila!
Took about 30 minutes total!
IMG_1694[1].JPG

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Year 1 at Whitefish: Used the nice granite counter top in the kitchen of the rental house. Had to put a cloth tarp down but it was the only place available.

Year 2: Different house, it had a basement with an open stud wall so after a trip to home depot (used their DIY cut off saw to pre-cut everything to length) I just screwed in some supports and attached the clamps.

Year 3: The rented condo had a decent sized utility room so I brought a pair of cheap saw horse brackets, pre-cut all the 2x4 pieces I needed and screwed it all together.

https://images.homedepot-static.com...7c29eaf2/svn/hdx-saw-horses-sh107-64_1000.jpg
One pair of these is all I carry across country (other than the clamps and tuning tools). I leave the wood behind.

This year my rental has a heated garage!

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I added this as a pretty ideal compact vise.
helium.png

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Dude, aren't you resourceful! That's awesome!

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
@JMD had the perfect base suggestion. The Stablemate is awesome.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Most motels come with a portable tuning bench set up. Sometimes you have to look in the closet but there's usually one in there somewhere..
Iron-and-Board.jpg
Cover the table with pizza boxes and the iron with tin foil and no one knows

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier

So we tried this REI box. Haven't finished it yet. It's kind of a beast and pretty unwieldy. I really wanted to learn how to tune my own skis, and I thought making this would be fun. We live in a condo without a private garage, so we did the work in our guest bedroom. No workbench. Lots of dust. Multiple trips to the hardware store. Not complete.

Last night, I took the REI Ski Tuning class, which was great. I know I could have watched a bunch of YouTube videos, but doing a hands-on class was the best way for me to learn. We started with edge sharpening (and de-tuning) and then we moved on to waxing. They provided the tables and all the supplies and we just bought our skis with us. There were only two of us in the class, so we got a lot of personal attention.

I've been reading the thread and am tempted to go with the Stablemate 30" sawhorse (I'm a shortie) with a board on top and some vices. For those who have done it, would a 48" shelf on top work? Thinking of an 8"x48" or 12"x48" laminate shelf from Home Depot, since it's cheap and won't splinter like wood. Would I need something thicker than .625 inches?

Are there any specific ski vice recommendations? The class used these: https://www.rei.com/product/115591/swix-t-bar-freeride-skisnowboard-vise-pair - but I'm open to more personal feedback.

Last night, I took the REI Ski Tuning class, which was great. I know I could have watched a bunch of YouTube videos, but doing a hands-on class was the best way for me to learn. We started with edge sharpening (and de-tuning) and then we moved on to waxing. They provided the tables and all the supplies and we just bought our skis with us. There were only two of us in the class, so we got a lot of personal attention.

Also, for the folks who are in Tahoe? What wax do you use? I didn't realize there were so many options!

thanks in advance!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid