• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Humm searched around and there is no love for Pickups here at PugSki.

I think that properly outfitted pickups are a superb ski / adventure vehicle, specially out west where the large gas tank capacities are a plus in the typically long distance drives. In the land of 18 wheelers it is nice to be in a larger vehicle.

I know I know, they are large (some x-large!) and consume a lot of gas (although there are MUCH better engine options available today besides the traditional 2 valve pero cyl. V8's)

A hard high quality tonneau cover will keep your gear dry and secure and besides the huge capacity in the bed there are other accessories available to carry bike, ski and fishing gear.

See image:

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 2.21.37 PM.png

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
2009 2wd Ford Ranger here.

No carpets no power windows nuttin

27mpg 4 cyl

Has cruise control tho go figure!

2nd owner - first owner was Orkin Bug

Skis go in the back in bags.... I try to borrow mrs hrstrat57 subie to go to the slopes. My bitty pickup doesn't like snow!

I'm jonesn for a base made in Texas Tacoma 4wd / 4 cyl / soon I hope. Now that snow is gone tho Ranger is perfect

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I drive a Silverado with a cap. Currently have a extended cab...but very much miss my old one with the crew cab. Plenty of passenger space (though not as much as the crew had). More than enough room in the back for skis/gear/etc. and the cap keeps everything out of the weather. Drives well in the snow. Two downsides: The gas mileage...not exactly an economy vehicle. And bikes are a bit of a pain with the cap...but a hitch mount rack fixes that pretty easily.

The key to having a pickup is you gotta find yourself a good hooker to keep in the back.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I see so many Tacos here and in CO. Tacos and Subies. Both sell well over book in ski towns.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No kids, great option. If you have 3-4 passengers and boot bags you'd like to keep in the climate controlled part of the vehicle, not a great option.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, the Tacos hold their value really well (unless of course it is one of the rusted thru frame ones - but I guess when the frame is replaced it is worth more again). I looked very seriously at them before I bought my first F150, because the value proposition made sense buying new. However when I drove one I was totally underwhelmed. It just seemed gutless, noisy and truly like an old style truck. Going from a loaded Audi Q7 I just couldn't do it so ended up with an F150 which, for me, just felt a lot more modern and useable and I didn't feel I was giving up much. And that was the previous gen F150, the new 15 onwards F150 is a better truck still, (as is the new Taco I guess.) Just IMHO of course but apart form the value retention and durability I could not see the love for them

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yeah, the Tacos hold their value really well (unless of course it is one of the rusted thru frame ones - but I guess when the frame is replaced it is worth more again). I looked very seriously at them before I bought my first F150, because the value proposition made sense buying new. However when I drove one I was totally underwhelmed. It just seemed gutless, noisy and truly like an old style truck. Going from a loaded Audi Q7 I just couldn't do it so ended up with an F150 which, for me, just felt a lot more modern and useable and I didn't feel I was giving up much. And that was the previous gen F150, the new 15 onwards F150 is a better truck still, (as is the new Taco I guess.) Just IMHO of course but apart form the value retention and durability I could not see the love for them

I think the new F150's are better than the old ones more that the new Tacos are better than the old tacos. Ford's engine selection in itself is superb.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice, and with the long bed no less. I am sure u have the 36 gal tank es well. :golfclap:

Oh yes! Short bed was not an option! With the long bed i get GS skis and Speed skis (210) in without any issues. And when there is usually 6-10 pair in the truck that is important.!
The 3,5 Twin turbo ecoboost is a great motor, gobs of torque even on a high axle ratio. Of course it is either Eco or Boost, not both!

Yes 36 gal tank, I had it on my 14 and would not consider the standard 23 gal (when you live in the mountains and make full use of the power it gets thru gas quickly :() Ford replaced my 14 under the lemon law (an electrical drain they could not trace) so I went a bit overboard on the options list when i ordered the 16. Probably my favorite option though is the auto running boards. I had never even thought about them but when I was testing one of them had them and my dog just went straight in so I was sold. They come down to a better height than the fixed ones - about half way between the floor and the pavement - whereas the fixed ones are a bit higher. Perfect for my Bernese.

A few mods to it, rear Bilsteins and ARB, slotted/drilled rotors, Raptor steering wheel and front Bilsteins waiting to go on... :)

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Pickup Truck as Ski and Adventure Vehicle -

I went all in on this back in 2015: Got it for a fantastic price, that allowed me to sell it quickly (gone in 4 days) once we returned.
20151002_131828.jpg

Learned what I want and don't want and don't really need.

I don't want and don't need.
Weight. It's very cool to get out to some very remote places completely self contained, but dragging around all that weight is a bitch. Bad for gas mileage, bad for stock brakes, dangerous handling (even with a modified/strengthened suspension) that left very little room for error.

Carrying around a bunch of hard mounted stuff. Turned the Jeep into a single purpose vehicle.

What I need
A multi-purpose vehicle that can get me anywhere including getting out to remote 4x4 required places

What I want
Ability to sleep inside a space for stealthy city-camping.
Good gas mileage

Choices:
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.
- Gets me anywhere
- Can sleep inside the cab. I'm 6'3, Have to get a little creative but it can be done. Already given thought to a storage platform that breaks down easy and would serve as a sleeping platform.

Some kind of mid-size pickup. Full-size would have had a very difficult time out where that photo was taken. I researched Tacomas and sat in one. They are not comfortable for me at all. 30 minutes and my back is screaming. Had a lot of 10 hour days in the Jeep and was always comfortable. Tacoma has the TRD off-road package in an access cab version with a 6 ft bed. The best would be if Ford has a Ranger version of the Tacoma TRD 4x4 Off-road Access Cab. The ultimate would be if Ford had that and brings over the 5 cylinder diesel. I've driven one over here in Thailand and they are fantastic trucks. Bad news is that it sounds like Ford will be making substantial changes for the American market so I'm not holding my breath

An older SUV like an FJ80 that has been built right. I have my eye on a couple.

First option would be the Ford Ranger of my dreams. Only downside to a pickup is completely stealth city-camping when you'd have to get out of the cab and into the bed. The new Ranger though, if it substantially the same as what is being sold ROW, is a great truck that provides every other want and need.

Second option is tossup between a Jeep and an FJ80. I'm waiting to see what the JL looks like. Jeeps are priced crazy, but there are a couple volume dealers out there that will give 7% below invoice which come out fairly reasonable.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, the Ranger is a different vehicle in different markets. In the UK it was a rebadged Mitsu L200. It is being brought back in the US next year but not sure yet which platform it is using. although with the 3.5 Eco and 10speed it could be quite a Q-vehicle! Problem is, as with most of the mid size trucks there is very limited price advantage over a full size (1/2 ton) truck which are much more widely available and with substantial discounts

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see so many Tacos here and in CO. Tacos and Subies. Both sell well over book in ski towns.

Yup. Sign at a Breck auto repair shop:

We repair all makes.

Subaru and Tacoma!

Personally, I'm a van guy. Nothing outside, ever. The Sprinter fits three dirt bikes, three riders, and all the gear with room to spare. Or four mtbs and four riders. But it's nice to have so many choices. Currently reading Jens Voigt's bike book, where he talks about growing up in East Germany. Two vehicle choices: Small Car (Trabant) and Large Car (Wartburg).

We've got it pretty good!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm very happy with my Tacoma. It's an '02 Double Cab. 116K miles and no major work other than scheduled service (timing belt, oil, etc.). I hope to have this truck for a long long time.

I use bins in the back to store work equipment and parts and installed a simple wood rail system to accept Thule imitation rain gutters for my rack system. Right now I have a large Thule box and a 4 pair ski rack. I'll switch the ski rack over to bike racks soon. The Thule box holds my speed skis and the ski rack is great for those days when I pick up hitchhikers on the way to the Basin. That it is all behind and below the cab helps mileage which is about 18 - 21 depending on the amount of highway driving.

rummage sale 026.JPG

This was back a few years ago. I drove as far as I dared up Baldy Mt. with a couple friends. They skied, I hung out. The skiing reportedly sucked so I made the right decision.

I want to put a cap on the back of my truck but with the short bed (no option for anything else with the double cab) I need it to extend over the tail gate so I can camp in it. I'm contemplating constructing a light weight system that will pop up like an A-Liner but also function without being opened. Unless I work out a 'slide-out' back to the system, it'll require the tailgate to be down all the time. Not a big deal for me except if I want to tow a trailer.

My goal is for the cap to be very light and somewhat modular. The top of the cap would be about the same height as the cab, I would be able to access inside through opening side windows and it would be sturdy enough to put a rack on top. If anyone has any ideas or knows of products that would meet my needs, please post here! Thanks.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Skis and bikes fit in the back under cover, locked and away from casual eyes. I have a Beddy Joe for the bikes so they stand upright, secure and covered. Boots and dog up front (and my wife too). Can sleep in the back. Snow, steep grades??? They don't really exist. All I can't do that I'd like to is serious trails. I have to be careful with the roads I choose, tight switchbacks are rough.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I have a 2000 Tacoma 4WD with the smaller crew cab and a canopy. I also have a 2015 Imprezza with a box on top. I use both depending on the situation.

When I head up to Mt. Baker for the day I take the Imprezza. The box holds six pair of skis and it handles well in the snow, as well as getting superior mileage, and being quieter and more comfortable. When I go to my cabin near Skykomish to ski Stevens Pass I usually take the Tacoma. It takes all of my stuff and with its higher clearance it can more easily get into the cabin when there's been a bunch of snow. It usues a lot more gas, though.

We're planning to head down to what is now Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument with the truck in the fall so that we can access some places we couldn't get to in our rental car last time.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love my jeep wrangler unlimited (4 door). Unless you are going to some serious rock crawling save your money and don't get a Rubi. I've got a fully loaded sport which is right you there with some Saharas I've seen. All you need for a wrangler is some meaty tires and you can go anywhere you want to go. My back seats fold down and we can easily fit 6 or 7 pairs of skis plus all our luggage. Gas mileage sucks but that's not why i bought it.

As they say

FB_IMG_1493846979487.jpg

That said i think pickup trucks are pretty awesome too as ski vehicles.

Last edited:

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Skis and bikes fit in the back under cover, locked and away from casual eyes. I have a Beddy Joe for the bikes so they stand upright, secure and covered. Boots and dog up front (and my wife too). Can sleep in the back. Snow, steep grades??? They don't really exist. All I can't do that I'd like to is serious trails. I have to be careful with the roads I choose, tight switchbacks are rough.

Oops, forgot: ...and the rack on top for the kayaks and anything else I want to put up there.