• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Open Snow subscription question

SkierGolferNH

Putting on skis
Instructor
I've been a subscriber since the beginning. As a former meteorologist, at first I subscribed to support them, but now, holy mackerel the content they provide me as a professional is invaluable. Just getting the extended forecast is worth it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bump for winter weather forecast junkies

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I subscribe. At first to support the site. Felt bad just taking. Then I got hooked on the 10 day forecast, even if it isn't terribly accurate, and the summer smoke maps. So I just keep it up. Looks like they are going to further limit free content to encourage subscription. It will be interesting to see if that helps or drives people away.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
I subscribe. At first to support the site. Felt bad just taking. Then I got hooked on the 10 day forecast, even if it isn't terribly accurate, and the summer smoke maps. So I just keep it up. Looks like they are going to further limit free content to encourage subscription. It will be interesting to see if that helps or drives people away.
I don't know how it will work out for them, but I think any model where you don't have any or very limited free content makes it hard to generate new customers, unless you are already a well known commodity, such as the NYTimes or the WSJ. With their recent switch to a paywall, they will probably get a lot of people subscribing that were not previous subscribers. Others will just move on and stop going to their site. From that point on, I feel like growing their subscriber base will be hard without any compelling reason to attract new and uninitiated visitors to the site.

But it's not my business to manage, nor am I any kind of business model guru, much less online businesses. I do hope they know what they are doing and it works out well for them. I always like reading their forecasts. I have never been a subscriber, but have been considering it since they went full paywall. I will probably buy in at some point this year.

Go West Skier

Booting up
Skier
Damn... for the $20 or $30 a year.... just subscribe. The amount of information is amazing. Joel Gratz, the founder, takes the time to answer personal e mails, and they are the best at what they do as far as Im concerned. I have subscribed for years now. A great help when planning and packing for a trip.
Can't recommend it more.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I think any model where you don't have any or very limited free content makes it hard to generate new customers,
I fit that description to a T!

I had been using their free version. I really don't use the other contents that much. I only pay attention to the storm track forecast, to decide WHEN to head up to the mountains. I rarely use the forecast for individual mountains, for I don't have passes to multiple mountains. So if I'm staying in a particular base, I'm pretty much limited to 1 or 2 mountains based on my preferred terrain. So unless there's a huge difference in amount of snow they get, I'm not changing where I ski.

growing their subscriber base will be hard without any compelling reason to attract new and uninitiated visitors to the site
Quite!

It was because it's free that I followed the site. Now that I've followed it for a few years with good result, I'm convinced of their value. So I will subscribe.

Had they not have free accessed in years past, I doubt I would be subscribing now.

Sponsor

Staff online