• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old Skier

oldandslow

Putting on skis
Skier
About the only thing notable about me is that I'm pretty old for a skier. I started skiing in 1947 and my first skis were army surplus that cost $14.95. They were white and 7 feet long. They had metal edges.
Skis have gotten a lot better and if it were not for the new skis that almost ski themselves and the hill grooming, I probably would have quit skiing years ago.
When I was young, I did some racing and then after I passed middle age I got into fun racing like city league on Wednesday nights (the least competitive night) at the Mt. Hood Ski Bowl. When I turned 60, I retired from ski racing. As far as I can tell, I have not been missed.
Now I have a season pass at Mt. Bachelor and only ski on nice days midweek. Some years at Mt. Bachelor there aren't all that many nice days.

TS
oldandslow

oldandslow

Putting on skis
Skier
Welcome! I imagine $15 back then was pretty fair dough.. :)
I wasn't much of a consumer in those days. I can tell you that a comic book cost a dime and that the Saturday matinee at the Holywood Theatre was 20 cents. I believe that Northland that made my army surplus skis was selling the same ski without the white paint or the hole in the tip for about twice as much.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have my great great uncle Gunner's Northland skis. No metal edges, tho.
Welcome.