• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Oh, Hell No.

Could you sleep/sit/relax in this hammock?

• Sure, No Probs.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • No Effin way.

Votes: 29 76.3%

• Total voters

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I used to go indoor rock climbing a fair amount... Went outside in a classroom environment once. I've taken my share of "falls"; if you're tied in, you really don't go anywhere. The "falls" I took were more of a "swinging sensation" than a "falling" sensation..
Ya. I went to an indoor climb a plex once. had the swiss seat but not the special shoes. They also have spring loaded climb rope anchors so it cushions your drop stop too. Hanging for an hour in even the best gear is going to still suck. You've still got to wrap the rope around your arm or upper torso while hanging to stay right side up or hold it in your hand to right side up..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From the video, it appears that each participant is tied into the main suspension cable with a pretty hefty looking carabiner and rope, etc.

Bring a pee bottle with you; standard camping gear for men. :D

I've never found hammocks to be all that comfortable, so I wouldn't go out there, but so long as you're roped in... You're not going anywhere.
I remember when I met you, you had a significant fear of heights....I'm just imagining how you got from that point to this one.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ever hung off a safety line by your very own personal safety harness?
Not exactly what I would considered a pleasant way to past time.

You should spend more time harness shopping :D

I'm assuming they're tied in while wearing a regular rock-climbing harness.

See, I was thinking a full body harness like the Petzl 8003, simply because you do _not_ want to wake up hanging upside down.

The rope isn't cutting into your waist or arm-pits or anything of that nature. I'd get a tug around my waist / hips from the harness. If you were to fall out of the hammock and be saved by the rope... I have no idea how you'd get back up. Again, rock-climbers have ways to climb ropes. I was never in that position, so I don't know how it's done..

It's a pretty standard move for leading overhangs - any fall and you come off the wall with no other way to go but back up the rope.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have never gone rock climbing. Not even at the local climbing wall. Correct me if I am wrong. My understanding of the safety system in those situations are utilization of either a belayer or a mechanical tensioner / retractor attached to a three point harness (belt & 2 legs). The safety rope is kept under proper tension at all times as the climber advances up the wall. When the climber loses grip with the wall (fall). The climber's weight is taken up immediately. The climber is then quickly lowered to the ground. No harm no foul.

On occasions before I retired, I get to step out on hanging scaffolds to inspect facade repair work on 30/40 story buildings. I know all the safety protocols. Have my own personal harness, rope grab, safety rope and what not. Always check the anchorage myself before stepping over the edge. Usually takes couple hours out there. Doesn't really bother me. Just can't see it for fun.

We do work for public agencies. They are very high on safety. Lots of safety inspectors floating around. OSHA regulations are the minimum requirements we have to adhere to. Lots of guys have to be harnessed up and tethered to safety ropes even when working on very low level scaffolding.

Our standard set up for personal fall protection.

Full body harness (OSHA prohibits usage of safety belt or three point harness)

full-body-harness 02.jpg
Lanyard (Shock Absorbing)

Lanyard.jpg

Rope Grab and 5/8" Safety Rope

Rope Grab 01.jpg

Diagram of one taking a fall.

Fall protection.png

Accidentally stepping off the edge is no fun. The free fall can be a shock. You can play with the Fall Protection Force Calculator to figure how much force your body will be subjected to during a fall.

Rescueing a dangling worker maybe as simple as dragging them back in with a broom or setting up a ladder to reach them. A man lift usually will do the tough ones. Haven't had to call FDNY, yet.

To drive home the point with newbies that fall protection is not fun and games. We usually have them put on a harness and hang them off the rafters via their lanyard in the shop for ten minutes. They usually get the message.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have never gone rock climbing. Not even at the local climbing wall. Correct me if I am wrong. My understanding of the safety system in those situations are utilization of either a belayer or a mechanical tensioner / retractor attached to a three point harness (belt & 2 legs). The safety rope is kept under proper tension at all times as the climber advances up the wall.
All good so far.

When the climber loses grip with the wall (fall). The climber's weight is taken up immediately.

Not immediately. Climbing ropes have stretch that is computed using something called a fall factor. It can be a LOT more gradual than what you had with your short lanyard, especially if there is a lot of rope available to take up the stretch.

The climber is then quickly lowered to the ground. No harm no foul.

Unless the climber can get back on the wall. Or unless the climber cannot be lowered to the ground (not accessible with the current rope).

Accidentally stepping off the edge is no fun. The free fall can be a shock. You can play with the Fall Protection Force Calculator to figure how much force your body will be subjected to during a fall.

Recusing a dangling worker maybe as simple as dragging them back in with a broom or setting up a ladder to reach them. A man lift usually will do the tough ones. Haven't had to call FDNY, yet.

To drive home the point with newbies that fall protection is not fun and games. We usually have them put on a harness and hang them off the rafters via their lanyard in the shop for ten minutes. They usually get the message.

With a 3.5 foot maximum fall distance, no wonder the stop after the fall is a shock. About the only thing that recreational users have that uses that short an absorption distance is via ferrata lanyards. I haven't looked recently but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find several dozen youtube videos of climbers treating dynamic rope like a pseudo-bungee cord. (You're not supposed to but they do it anyway).

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
If you were to slip and fall out of the hammock you'd probably be hanging at the end of a rope ten feet below the hammock. I'm probably not still strong enough to climb back up a quarter inch nylon rope and pull myself back up. How difficult would it be for other hammock people to slack line down to help me? How bad would that rope be cutting in to my waist or arm pits while waiting for rescue while they have to evac all the other hammocks so they can reel the cable around (assuming it is a giant loop which they reel around to load and load)??

I've assumed from your other posts, skateboarding, etc. you were a crazy MF but this is a very sane analysis.

If you're the age I think you are then you know you take your shoelaces out and tie them into Prusik knots to shimmy up the greasy 9mm rope as we learned from Royal Robbins or "Mountaineering Freedom of the Hills" lol.

And yes those backpacking hammocks might be the bees knees if you're in fantastic 20-something shape but otherwise HELL NO on those grounds alone.

I wonder what the midnight potty breaks are like? Bombs away!

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
1) One of my roommates in graduate school had done a fair amount of climbing at Yosemite in high school. One of his old buds came out and they went climbing together. My roommate was leading and couldn't clear an overhang. The friend says "you wimp, I'll do it". Sure enough, leader fall and a broken arm on a big wall. Fun self-evac.

2) We used to climb a stone wall on the library at college. One of my friends was a townie so we gave it a try when I was visiting him a year or so later. I fell just before I grabbed the top -- about 6 or 10 feet. I'm pretty sure I broke my foot. (Didn't go to the doctor -- told my friend's parents I tripped on the stairs.)

3) While working at a government facility, I got in trouble for working near an open window without a safety harness! Admittedly, it was a large window we had a telescope pointed out of, but it was a window.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
ropes? carabiners? harnesses? They FAIL! They FAIL!
Didn't any of you people see Cliffhanger?

Oh, and poll is flawed; needs category:
Not even if you threatened to throw Old Yeller's puppy in the sausage grinder!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Years ago (maybe 25?) the company I was with decided to send everyone out to some "team building" thing for a week. You know, trust falls and ropes in the air. So, I already know the answer. I can do a trust fall no problem, but ropes in the air? Hell, no! Can't climb telephone poles and stand on their little pointy ends, either. Did that once. DONE. I don't even do ladders these days.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I remember when I met you, you had a significant fear of heights....I'm just imagining how you got from that point to this one.

Oh, I still hate heights... My rock-climbing days were before I met you... I just learned to trust the rope (and your partner belaying you).

Usually when I'm presented with a height the rope and the belayer elements are missing.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Climbing is not regulated by OSHA. Thank god as the climbing gear is way ahead of the OSHA equipment. The only good thing that OSHA has done is make it as close idiot proof as possible and as rugged as possible for same idiots to abuse with little effect of reliability.

@AmyPJ this fits into the levels of fear thread.

As to would I or wouldn’t I, to be fair not sure, but most likely as I do like the adrenaline and endorphin rush. Why buy drugs when your body can create its own.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've assumed from your other posts, skateboarding, etc. you were a crazy MF but this is a very sane analysis.

!

"were" as in was, as in past tense. A couple friends and I used to climb water towers in college. This is the sickest one I ever conquered.. Draper lake Oklahoma...all the way to the tippy top with no ropes or harnesses of any kind... at night.. Never again, but that's how I attacked my fear of heights in the late teens..
10296358.jpg

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m not afraid of heights. I have an severe respect for heights. :rolleyes:

A couple of years ago I was residing the rear of the house with vinyl shingles. It’s about 20 to 25 feet to the peak so I got an OSHA approved harness, just in case. Also, since I was doing this solo, I had my cellphone, just in case. Didn’t want to be found there dangling after six months. :( I wore that harness whenever I was on the ladder over 6-7 feet. Don’t know why I wore that fall harness, I never used it. :rolleyes: :D ;)

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
While I was in college, our summer Geology Field Camp group made a stop at Black Canyon of the Gunnison. While we were there, someone pointed out a group of about a half-dozen climbers hanging from the rock face about 2/3 of the way up the far wall of the canyon. We were told it was the fourth day of their climb and that they had at least two more days of climbing ahead of them. They slept in hammocks hung from the rock face every night. I decided way back then that that was something that belongs on my don't-ever-do-this list.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ever hung off a safety line by your very own personal safety harness?
Not exactly what I would considered a pleasant way to past time.

Actually, I much prefer to belay out away from the ledge, hanging off my harness. I can see what is going on better, and my harness is comfortable enough to hang out all day.

Sponsor

Staff online