• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Oh, Hell No.

Could you sleep/sit/relax in this hammock?

• Sure, No Probs.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • No Effin way.

Votes: 29 76.3%

• Total voters

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just watched this on FB. Could you?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on what kind of drugs I’m given.

Actually come to think of it, I might require Depends.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sorry but I can't sleep on my back, I need to be close to a bathroom or have a portable in the tent, and about a hundred other reasons why that's a hell no. I've done a little climbing and rappelling. There was even a time when I might have considered one of those cliff suspended tents, but that has a platform of sorts, not just a bag..

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did a lot of climbing in my youth. Once you get experience building anchors/rope systems and get used to exposure, it's not as much of a freakout as it seems. I'd be willing to bet no one out there is suspended in air for the first time in their lives.

I've gone back and climbed some now that I'm older; exposure definitely feels different, but I can imagine getting used to it.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
I mean, the hammock gimmick is a little silly, but if I was somewhere that had a similar slackline set up with safety tethers and whatnot I'd give it a shot. This isn't that different.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Would I sit on a metal chair attached to that cable?? Probably, but definitely with the "comfort" bar down.. I outgrew the bar up preference around when I turned 40.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
From the video, it appears that each participant is tied into the main suspension cable with a pretty hefty looking carabiner and rope, etc.

Bring a pee bottle with you; standard camping gear for men. :D

I've never found hammocks to be all that comfortable, so I wouldn't go out there, but so long as you're roped in... You're not going anywhere.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
but so long as you're roped in... You're not going anywhere.

Ever hung off a safety line by your very own personal safety harness?
Not exactly what I would considered a pleasant way to past time.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
From the video, it appears that each participant is tied into the main suspension cable with a pretty hefty looking carabiner and rope, etc.

Bring a pee bottle with you; standard camping gear for men. :D

I've never found hammocks to be all that comfortable, so I wouldn't go out there, but so long as you're roped in... You're not going anywhere.

If you were to slip and fall out of the hammock you'd probably be hanging at the end of a rope ten feet below the hammock. I'm probably not still strong enough to climb back up a quarter inch nylon rope and pull myself back up. How difficult would it be for other hammock people to slack line down to help me? How bad would that rope be cutting in to my waist or arm pits while waiting for rescue while they have to evac all the other hammocks so they can reel the cable around (assuming it is a giant loop which they reel around to load and load)??

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You know, I’ll bet a bunch of these hammock line people would freak at the very thought of dropping into Corbett’s.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Ever hung off a safety line by your very own personal safety harness?
Not exactly what I would considered a pleasant way to past time.

If you were to slip and fall out of the hammock you'd probably be hanging at the end of a rope ten feet below the hammock. I'm probably not still strong enough to climb back up a quarter inch nylon rope and pull myself back up. How difficult would it be for other hammock people to slack line down to help me? How bad would that rope be cutting in to my waist or arm pits while waiting for rescue while they have to evac all the other hammocks so they can reel the cable around (assuming it is a giant loop which they reel around to load and load)??

I used to go indoor rock climbing a fair amount... Went outside in a classroom environment once. I've taken my share of "falls"; if you're tied in, you really don't go anywhere. The "falls" I took were more of a "swinging sensation" than a "falling" sensation.

I'm assuming they're tied in while wearing a regular rock-climbing harness. The rope isn't cutting into your waist or arm-pits or anything of that nature. I'd get a tug around my waist / hips from the harness. If you were to fall out of the hammock and be saved by the rope... I have no idea how you'd get back up. Again, rock-climbers have ways to climb ropes. I was never in that position, so I don't know how it's done.

I found rock-climbing to be totally un-nerving... until I took my first fall and realized that I had gone nowhere. I've only ever been a couple dozen feet off the deck... maybe things get a little more :eek::eek::eek: if the ground is a couple hundred feet away.

Now, everything I just said probably applies to sleeping on big walls -- i.e., this picture:
b151e15c6ccd20c8f7e98e71a9a94076--mountain-climbing-rock-climbing.jpg

But that is a NO F-ING WAY to me. I'm not sure what the actual difference would be...