• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I get that ;) . has anyone started any discussion re: boot-up/meet up for alta or snowbird??

It's probably best covered in the lodging thread but for those of us staying at GMD I was thinking we should consider setting a time to get together for dinner or for drinks in the bar.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On busy days, the bags, boots, lunch boxes, etc. were spilling out into the walkways, and it looked like a giant locker room.

You just described every ski area east of the Rockies, from the beginning of ski time to the present. Never saw the issue, when confronted with the alternative (pay for lockers, yadda yadda). Always seemed messy but more convivial and civilized to me than keeping everything artificially and expensively clean. Just musing.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You just described every ski area east of the Rockies, from the beginning of ski time to the present. Never saw the issue, when confronted with the alternative (pay for lockers, yadda yadda). Always seemed messy but more convivial and civilized to me than keeping everything artificially and expensively clean. Just musing.
Have you been to Snowbasin? Truth is that it truly doesn't fit with the image or ambiance of the lodges. They are stunningly beautiful. Regardless, the bag policy isn't going away, and I actually agree with it. There were liability issues, too. If someone tripped over something, if things got stolen, etc. I'll find out shortly what improvements were made to the bag check process, as we have a meeting soon to go over changes and the upcoming season.
SUPER excited!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's probably best covered in the lodging thread but for those of us staying at GMD I was thinking we should consider setting a time to get together for dinner or for drinks in the bar.

My suggestions FWIW - I have spent some time herding cats at the GMD.
3:00 Drinks on the deck (if weather good); in the bar (bad weather)
4:00 Snack in the dining room
Dinner: Tables larger than 8-10 will get uneven service and are difficult for conversation. I would suggest arranging for 2-4 tables at the same time and “table hopping” to socialize. Decide on a time ahead of time eg 6:30.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you been to Snowbasin?

Yes. Only one day, unfortunately, but liked it a whole lot. Can't wait for a return visit.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. Only one day, unfortunately, but liked it a whole lot. Can't wait for a return visit.
I skied there one day back in 2010 with Kaj and some other people I know from Maine and New Hampshire. Mid week. The place was deserted. We had a fun day.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
My suggestions FWIW - I have spent some time herding cats at the GMD.
3:00 Drinks on the deck (if weather good); in the bar (bad weather)
4:00 Snack in the dining room
Alta runs lateish hours, lifts open at 9:15AM and close at 4:30PM. On sunny days the entire West Rustler area is in its prime during that last couple of hours.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
"A big chunk of the problem is that all my work from past events vanished when Epic Closed. It would have been a lot easier to bring up the old information pages from past events held in Utah....change a few dates and a few other tweaks and the info could have been posted right up....No problem. Not any more. That stuff is gone."

It's not necessarily gone. Many of us downloaded lots of threads via HTTrack during the final two weeks of Epic. I have the Utah Gathering thread from 2014. I can't find it in the Wayback Machine though.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alta runs lateish hours, lifts open at 9:15AM and close at 4:30PM. On sunny days the entire West Rustler area is in its prime during that last couple of hours.
Indeed. We often have an espresso at Watson’s at 3:30 after skiing agressively after lunch, and then take our final run(s) after that.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
I heard that @Rich Peters is now booked into the GMD and will be skiing Tuesday-Friday at the 'Bird and Alta.

Which, effectively means I'll be there in spirit. :)

Sponsor