• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Would we have direct access to the cafeteria to get our own food or is it a waiter/watress type of setup
Yes, Huntington Room is only a few steps from the main food service & the bar although I doubt you could bring alcohol from the bar to the room. It’s a Utah thing & after 17 years I still don’t understand it :huh:?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, Huntington Room is only a few steps from the main food service & the bar although I doubt you could bring alcohol from the bar to the room. It’s a Utah thing & after 17 years I still don’t understand it :huh:?
You can bring beer from the "cafeteria" though. I think it'd be better to have sit-down service from the Cinnabar if we want to have access to the full drink menu. Good question for me to ask.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
888345-250.gif

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
You are correct, boot bags, ANY personal items, are not allowed to be left anywhere inside any of the lodges. They have a bag check for that, and it is strictly enforced. In the Huntington Room, which type of food service being offered depends on a few things, but I don't know what those are.

It seats a LOT of people. The race teams use it every Saturday for the same purpose. I need to make some phone calls. I'll try to do that later today.

My experience exactly. We booted up outside the bag check, then waited in line (not insignificant, which surprised me) and then checked bag.

A "little" different than Powder Mountain just down the road. :)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Snowbasin has always had free, open cubby holes down stairs in a room to the right after going down the stairs. Are these gone?
I believe that amenity disappeared last year :(

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
If they don't have cubbies and we can't leave a pack next to a wall somewhere, I guess that means we need to bring some quarters or dollar bills to feed the lockers, or perhaps a couple $5's.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No more lockers, no more cubbies. On busy days, the bags, boots, lunch boxes, etc. were spilling out into the walkways, and it looked like a giant locker room.
Hence the change. I believe there have been improvements made to the bag check process as well as other things. I'll find out. It won't be a concern if we can reserve the Huntington Room. I've been on the phone for hours daily trying to clear up an insurance claim screw up for my daughter who had surgery this summer. Haven't taken the time to call yet.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
No more lockers, no more cubbies. On busy days, the bags, boots, lunch boxes, etc. were spilling out into the walkways, and it looked like a giant locker room.
Hence the change. I believe there have been improvements made to the bag check process as well as other things. I'll find out. It won't be a concern if we can reserve the Huntington Room. I've been on the phone for hours daily trying to clear up an insurance claim screw up for my daughter who had surgery this summer. Haven't taken the time to call yet.

What, no more lockers? That was one of the best things about the place. I felt like I was a member in a posh country club:roflmao:

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
As some of you know, my timeshare at Snowbird is the week after the Gathering. I'm not sure we will arrive at the beginning of the Gathering, depends upon how much catching up at home is needed after my Canadian trip ending a few days before the Gathering.

I guided a day at Snowbird at the 2014 Gathering and should be available for Wednesday and Friday (not Saturday as I will probably be a at Alta with local friends) of this one. I have 50 days lifetime at Alta, could do Thursday there too. I guided Whistler 2 days last year but in Alta's case maybe there are already enough guides with as much experience as mine.

With regard to cell service I have ATT. My cell does not work in Mineral Basin and the lower 2/3 of Little Cloud. At Alta Alf's Restaurant is in the small but inconvenient dead cell zone.

Uncle Louie is right about lunch meetings at Alta/Bird. The Whistler restaurants were massive and easily absorbed all of us but there are no places like that at Alta or Snowbird. I find Mid-Gad at Snowbird slow and annoying. Avoid it even with modest size ski groups. The new Hidden Peak restaurant at the top of Snowbird I like, but most of our Iron Blosam group won't go there because they don't allow brown-bagging. Rendezvous on the second floor of the tram plaza I like. It will handle a ski group or two but not all of us. If weather is warm you can get various take outs and eat outside on the tram plaza, as often occurs during my timeshare weeks. Let's hope for different weather for the Gathering!

Watson's and Alf's are both decent for lunch, but again only for a couple of groups at a time, too small for everyone. Don't forget the lodges at Alta. If you want a very nice sit down lunch, try the Rustler Lodge, served by a short chairlift loading near the middle of the rope tow. Goldminer's is of course convenient for lunch too.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
no going to snowbasin ;) we're pretty much hanging out in LCC all week.

That’s great but the previous boot up conversation was around Snowbasin. Which I might show up to for the afternoon.

Need to work on transport from the airport. If anyone is arriving at SLC around 9:30 the morning of the 5th and headed to either Snowbasin or GMD let me know.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I get that ;) . has anyone started any discussion re: boot-up/meet up for alta or snowbird??

You (and everyone) needs to look at first couple (or three) posts in this thread as it looks like they will updated as new events and information are added.

Sponsor