• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn!

I thought I had settled on my Rev 85 as travel ski (have to leave space in the double ski bag for GF’s skis). Now I have to decide between the Rev 85 and Rev 105.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Damn!

I thought I had settled on my Rev 85 as travel ski (have to leave space in the double ski bag for GF’s skis). Now I have to decide between the Rev 85 and Rev 105.

I recommend filling the hole in your quiver with a Nordica Enforcer 93 or a Head Kore 93 or Salomon QST 92 or...?.:D

However, for the short term, does your hard pack ski ski powder better than your powder ski skis hard pack or the other way around?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I recommend filling the hole in your quiver with a Nordica Enforcer 93 or a Head Kore 93 or Salomon QST 92 or...?.:D

However, for the short term, does your hard pack ski ski powder better than your powder ski skis hard pack or the other way around?

Actually they’re both pretty versatile. Hence the dilemma.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

I demo'd all 3 of those on east-coast-day-after-rain-but-well-groomed conditions and enjoyed them all. In those conditions, the Enforcer 93 won out, barely. I think they are heavier than the others (will get around to looking up the specs) which probably helped. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try them again in some more dimensional snow.

An old friend years ago turned me onto a slightly different way of thinking about a dilemma... when it's difficult to choose which you like more, think about which you'd regret more if you chose the other.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
It is a lesson through the ski school. Yes, it CAN be an actual lesson--the instructor will do whatever you want, and yes, it can be for any level. Keep in mind the lesson will have to cater to the lowest level skier, so if you have a group, it's best to match skill sets or at least comfort level with terrain. And yes, you have to reserve in advance so they can prep for the early uppers. It can be a 3-hour or 5-hour lesson, your choice (5 hour is $599.) If you DO decide to do this, please get in touch with me so I can recommend a few awesome level 3 instructors for you. You'll have to call the ski school the day prior at the latest and give the name of the instructor.

And, we have gotten 11 inches at Snowbasin so far, with that amount forecast to at LEAST double today! The Cottonwoods have gotten more thanks to the elevation. Another storm is lined up behind this one! Two more of these and we'd be in GREAT shape. I did hit a boulder off-piste on a steep face on Friday--oops! So, coverage is thin for sure, but these storms are going to set us up nicely. Temps are forecast to be frigid midweek. Needless to say, we are stoked here!

Though not on the Gathering dance card, Powder Mtn is finally getting some! They really need a few good dumps. We'll be doing at least one day there before moving on to Snowbasin.

upload_2018-2-19_21-20-2.png

@AmyPJ, any recommendations on doing a lesson at Powder vs Snowbasin? Quality is always top consideration, but I have a few in my group that need to pay attention to their budgets.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn!

105 is all you need. Love my sons.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Just want to say: I'll have an AWD with room for one or two if anyone staying in the Ft Union area will need a ride to/from Snowbasin (or A/S later in week).

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, but I’m also heading to Sun valley for a few days before the Gathering, so the 85 would probably be better there.

First World Problems. I’ll stop whining now.
But we use ours on ice with no problems too. :)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But we use ours on ice with no problems too. :)

Yeah....no. It’s not nearly as good on hardpack or ice as the 85. OK maybe, but not the feel I’m looking for in those conditions.

But thanks. :)

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
After two months of cat-herding, I've got old ski buddies heading to SLC to ski March 3-6. The Flomax tour rides again, but in a classic coincide with the SLC Gathering. We'll probably ski Alta and Snowbird, so we could possibly overlap on the Tuesday Alta day. I should rejoin the Pugskiers on Wednesday, but unfortunately I'll have two unburned Snowbasin Mountain Collective passes. I'll have Spikedog Jr with me with the same problem, so we'll play it by ear.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After two months of cat-herding, I've got old ski buddies heading to SLC to ski March 3-6. The Flomax tour rides again, but in a classic coincide with the SLC Gathering. We'll probably ski Alta and Snowbird, so we could possibly overlap on the Tuesday Alta day. I should rejoin the Pugskiers on Wednesday, but unfortunately I'll have two unburned Snowbasin Mountain Collective passes. I'll have Spikedog Jr with me with the same problem, so we'll play it by ear.
How old is your Jr.? Mine turns 17 in April.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
He's 26 to the world, Jeff, but to me he's a perpetual teenager.

We'll have ribbons on our poles, so if somebody is skiing Snowbird or Alta, don't be afraid to say hello. I've got a Pugski sticker on my helmet if you need further ID.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
6-12 inches today into tomorrow. Snowbasin picked up 7 inches TODAY. The forecast for the next 5 days? SNOW! Not dumpages, but 4-6 most days. Things are shaping up nicely! Cold temps are forecast to continue, too.

Here's to the Gathering Effect!