• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Yes he was, lot of pics on Facebook, I can't get them to show up here.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes I was. I got #145 and #146.

Oct 31: A-Basin
Nov 1: Loveland
Nov 2: A-Basin
Nov 3: Loveland

The streak is secured until Dec 31, but I won't wait until then to ski again. ;)
It took you over a week to tell us? Bad form. :nono: :rules:

TS
M

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier

TonyC did.

Trying to catch up since then.

Nov 4: Arrived in Ottawa at 2am + youngest daughter's 15th bday + dryland training at Edelweiss with the club's kids
Nov 5-7: Montréal to take care of "landlord" business.
Nov 8: NCO ski team auction.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes he was, lot of pics on Facebook, I can't get them to show up here.
That usually has to do with security settings of the person who posted the picture.

TonyC

Pass Pulled
Better get used to that. We're still waiting for some of Pat's more interesting South America reports from summers past.

Pat's blog is here: https://madpatski.wordpress.com/

About a decade ago Pat created that blog and posted most TR's there, including some retroactive catch-ups. I was critical, arguing that TR's will get much more viewership and feedback on a widely viewed forum. After what happened to Epic, I retract that criticism. The bottom line is that if you want your content preserved, you need to have a backup under your direct control.

After the Epic debacle, I ran the HTTrack program (recommended during the 2-week Epic shutdown period) to download all my online TR's. It would take a lot of work to reload those online in a presentable format. But at least the content (and make sure you get your pictures too, potentially trickier) is now on my computer so I can undertake that project if necessary.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
After the Epic debacle, I ran the HTTrack program (recommended during the 2-week Epic shutdown period) to download all my online TR's. It would take a lot of work to reload those online in a presentable format. But at least the content (and make sure you get your pictures too, potentially trickier) is now on my computer so I can undertake that project if necessary.

Sorry to continue this into thread hijack territory, but I too saved my trip reports in a couple of different forms. Perhaps we could have a thread figuring out the best way to get them all posted here? Is there a thread already?

TonyC

Pass Pulled
I'm all ears on the hijacked subject. I had test downloaded a few TR's before the Epic shutdown, very slow process. So I was pleased to find out about HTTrack. HTTrack gives you a lot of extraneous stuff in the download, but it provides an index so you can find what's important. It also downloads pictures into a separate directory. In terms of creating a new TR on one's own computer, there's some work but not nearly as much as with the manual downloads.

If you create a clean report on your computer, uploading to one's own website should be straightforward, though I haven't tested that yet. Uploading here would take more time. The obvious difference is that TR's would be uploaded one-by-one rather than as a batch. The major sticking point as with the downloading is how to handle pictures. If you have multiple reports and lots of pics, uploading pics one at a time becomes tedious very fast.

I agree with dbostedo that this topic should be split out. Perhaps a general discussion of migrating archived Epic content would draw some interest. My personal efforts will be more along the lines of what MadPatSki has done.

Sponsor

Staff online