• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Now that Epicski is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I vote for Pugski flasks... Why don't we have these already dammit? I know there are a few floating around with pug stickers.......:flask::yeah:

Yeah, mine needs an upgrade.
20170515_202158.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yep, that was me... but I'm thinking if we get the Mid-A Gathering organized on here next season we won't need a sticker - I'll just get another banner made...

(And I think it's "PugSki".... "PubSki" would be a different site - probably - though some of the conversation here makes me wonder.... ogwink)

Dang, but what about all the signatures and positive vibes the other banner has? Maybe they could print on the other side of the same banner??

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Dang, but what about all the signatures and positive vibes the other banner has? Maybe they could print on the other side of the same banner??

Oh, I'd like to keep the current one going for nostalgia and consistencies sake... using the other side is a good idea! :thumb: I think I could probably get another printed and find a way to affix them back to back myself... I'll have to give that some thought heading into next season.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Meanwhile, the thing that now occupies the former forum looks a lot like a short-term placeholder.

Vail Resorts/Mtn News...they are who we thought they were.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
DanoT is Canadian, so I don't know if his post was a deliberate allusion to the famous Dennis Green rant, but like Phil, that's what I thought about immediately when I read it.

When the split and launch of Pugski happened in fall 2015, I can't say that I was thrilled. I spend way too much time on ski forums, and in the online world there's network synergy with size, so I view fragmentation as a negative. I registered here in Dec. 2015, but in my bailiwick of the ski world (resorts, conditions and travel), Epic remained far more active than Pugski and thus I spent far more time there.

I found it interesting how little rivalry there seemed to be between the sites. Gatherings were cross promoted and reported upon and many people were active in both forums.

With April 25 announcement naturally the recrimination there and some gloating here came out by those who strongly preferred one forum or the other. I had never read the 20+ page Epic thread when Phil and Trish were let go there, but when I read it two weeks ago I was certainly impressed by the outpouring of support they received. They were practically drafted to launch this site.

Phil and Trisch IMHO have been doing a great job keeping things on a relatively tight leash with the 'who to be careful with' side of things. I don't think it's nearly as big an issue here. Speaking only for myself and IMHO, on Epic it was, and the problematic lack of judicious moderation there won't be missed.
I am a firm believer in "Ski Talk at a Higher Level." The First Tracks Forum prided itself on having the highest "Signal to Noise Ratio" during its heyday in the 2000's. That's why most of my activity was there, and my TR's still are. FTO had a very light level of moderation. It was mostly self-policed by active members, but much more civilly than on TGR. I no longer hold up FTO as a forum model because its active user base has dwindled over the last 3-4 years. The lead administrator(s) do have to nurture a forum site, and there 's no question that's an area where Phil and Trish put in a lot of effort.

Last edited:

Bogatyr

Chasing the snow
Skier
Random quote : '' Speaking only for myself and IMHO, on Epic it was, and the problematic lack of judicious moderation there won't be missed. '' ( end of quote).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
As long as no one is insulting anyone else, or insulting groups that other members may belong to, there is practically ZERO need for moderation in any forum.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
As long as no one is insulting anyone else, or insulting groups that other members may belong to, there is practically ZERO need for moderation in any forum.

Agreed - sort of; There are other reasons for moderation and it gets much more complicated.

You might also be surprised what some people consider, or read as, an insult. And that moderators sometimes disagree too.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah not really. That was one of the things on epic that happened with a certain ski teaching group. There's ways to constantly divert threads and annoy people without insulting. There's nothing in Jacque's videos that is insulting but posting them in multiple threads constantly has been deemed spamming by more than one user. So things aren't quite so simple.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah not really. That was one of the things on epic that happened with a certain ski teaching group. There's ways to constantly divert threads and annoy people without insulting. There's nothing in Jacque's videos that is insulting but posting them in multiple threads constantly has been deemed spamming by more than one user. So things aren't quite so simple.

That's a pretty good example, because you're likely to have folks think that's no big deal and should be left alone, and folks that get really annoyed by it and complain. I don't know what the numbers on both sides are, but I know I've heard both sides. And both sides get upset when moderators don't behave in the way they prefer.

As with most things in life (and skiing!) it's a balancing act.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Ya, the forums I've moderated on have predisposed controls that prevent new people from posting images or videos for a month and a certain number of posts reached, If a veteran member does that repeatedly after being warned to chill with them they're gone, simple as that. Doing so after being warned is insulting the moderators so I would still say my cookie cutter mold fits to the point that the moderators can agree on what is suitable content,

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
They say kids and dogs do best with consistent rules, consistently enforced. I suppose the same is true for forum posters.

Bogatyr

Chasing the snow
Skier
Ya, the forums I've moderated on have predisposed controls that prevent new people from posting images or videos for a month and a certain number of posts reached, If a veteran member does that repeatedly after being warned to chill with them they're gone, simple as that. Doing so after being warned is insulting the moderators so I would still say my cookie cutter mold fits to the point that the moderators can agree on what is suitable content,
It wasn't TGR you've moderated ,that's for sure..ogsmile

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor