• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Noob Question about AT boots

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Hi - I'm looking for some advice on a probably really basic question about AT gear. I started doing some very light backcountry stuff last year, and rented gear. i would like to do more this season, but don't want to buy a whole set up quite yet. I would like to get some boots though, and I had some questions about AT boots.

I have stupid wide calves and, when I started skiing, had some issues modifying boots. My first pair of ski boots was ok, and now my bootfitter know my feet and it's no problem finding and modifying boots. I'm in some new Atomic Hawx that work really well. But my trusted bootfitter doesn't really do AT boots (I want something more than just a walk/ski mode), so I have to look elsewhere.

So, when it comes to AT boots:

1) Do they work the same way as ski boots when it comes to modification? I've heard from some friends that some AT boot material is much harder to modfiy/work with than regular ski boots. I guess I'm a little worried because the selection of AT boots is so much smaller than regular ski boots, and I'm sheepishly afraid I won't find something that fits.

2) What should I be looking for in an AT boot, for a BC beginner? The boots I rented last year were from frame bindings. Should I get some for frame bindings because that is what many rentals are? Or boots for tech bindings? Are there boots that can do both? The big reason that I don't want to splurge on a whole set up this year is budgetary. And I want to get more of a feel for what kind of terrain I want to do before I pick a set-up. I have a feeling I'm going to be more uphill oriented rather than needing super downhill performance.

Any suggestions/help are very welcome! and thank you!

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
Your first question doesn't really have an answer, AT boots are made from a variety of materials, some easy to work with, some less so. There's quite a few choices these days, including a line from Atomic with moldable shells (hawx xtd or something). I don't know why your bootfitter "doesn't do" at boots, seems that odd to me.

Most boots will work with an AT frame binding, but don't bother with a frame binding. Unless you fall a lot or huck really big they're not worth the weight and stride impingement. Earlier models are not great for the park though.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your first question doesn't really have an answer, AT boots are made from a variety of materials, some easy to work with, some less so. There's quite a few choices these days, including a line from Atomic with moldable shells (hawx xtd or something). I don't know why your bootfitter "doesn't do" at boots, seems that odd to me.

Most boots will work with an AT frame binding, but don't bother with a frame binding. Unless you fall a lot or huck really big they're not worth the weight and stride impingement. Earlier models are not great for the park though.

Quoted for truth. Look for a pair that fits well, then ask if that model will hold a punch if needed. A pair with tech fittings should be a priority.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
And if the Hawx fits you well, the new Hawx touring boot is a good place to start as I believe it shares the same last as the regular Hawx. Lots of info on it here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums...mic-Hawx-Ultra-XTD-aka-Hawk-Extended-aka-HawX

Given you're in Calgary I can't imagine there aren't some BC oriented shops not too long of a drive who may have more experience with AT boots and their plastics.

The second you do a lap in tech bindings, you'll never want to do a lap in frame bindings again. Plus all the "serious" (i.e. good range of motion, low weight, good skiing) touring boots now have tech fittings. Anything without tech fittings is likely just a walk/hike mode boot.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Good advice given above. I would make sure your selection has tech fittings, if you're serious about touring, you will go tech. It is a far superior system for the up and you sacrifice little on the down. There are some really good deals on AT equipage out there now too.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There's quite a few choices these days, including a line from Atomic with moldable shells (hawx xtd or something).

Also Fischer makes AT boots with heat moldable shells.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would stop by Lou's shop for some advice. While he has focused on alpine boots for most of his career, he now carries a good selection of AT boots, and he provides the same great service.

He fitted Liz with AT boots last year, and fixed some problems I had with mine (purchased elsewhere). We are very happy customers.

http://lous.ca/

Also, I think you might be able to rent skis w/tech bindings at U of C.

Last edited:

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
And if the Hawx fits you well, the new Hawx touring boot is a good place to start as I believe it shares the same last as the regular Hawx. Lots of info on it here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums...mic-Hawx-Ultra-XTD-aka-Hawk-Extended-aka-HawX

Given you're in Calgary I can't imagine there aren't some BC oriented shops not too long of a drive who may have more experience with AT boots and their plastics.

The second you do a lap in tech bindings, you'll never want to do a lap in frame bindings again. Plus all the "serious" (i.e. good range of motion, low weight, good skiing) touring boots now have tech fittings. Anything without tech fittings is likely just a walk/hike mode boot.

Good advice given above. I would make sure your selection has tech fittings, if you're serious about touring, you will go tech. It is a far superior system for the up and you sacrifice little on the down. There are some really good deals on AT equipage out there now too.
+1.
If.you are comfortable.withthe Atomic fit, no reason not to try the sibling AT boot,everyone raves about it...

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some AT boots are made with softer/thinner plastic, so there's less room for error on the fitter side when doing punches. So this could be what your bootfitter means when they say they don't do AT boots. I know some who won't touch them.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Realize that w/ a dedicated Tech binding you're truly emphasizing Uphill. That means whatever ski you use will be "tied up" pretty much for uphill off piste time. To the casual "Uphiller" that skis mostly at resorts, I did not want to tie up a set of skis w/ Tech bindings. I use frame bindings which are inherently less efficient on the uphill, but I can still ski them proficiently and "like normal" at the resorts on the downhill w/ any of my boots.

So my mellow resort skis, have frame bindings so I can spend a bit less $$$ and have more options, esp w/ MNC bindings as you also have to buy Poles, Packs, Shells, Avy gear, Skins, Kneepads......... Oops wait a min........ that's for my Tele setup!!! LOL. So it depends on your priorities and your budget. If the sky is the limit.......Kingpins all day long! ........... If you're on a budget......... whatever that is Uggh!........ I'm rockin' the TourF12's w/ Frame, and maxing out at 3 - 4 mile East Coast Uphill slogs ( slog = the art .... and inherent pain/euphoria of going uphill )........yeah my budds w/ Tech gear can Crush me on the uphill ...... but if the bindings were reversed ........ they'd still CRUSH me bec I SUCK at uphill! ..... but I still love it! Basically the frame binding allows you to "Dabble" in it and experiment until you feel the need for a dedicated Tech setup to do some real mileage. None of this matters bec when you REALLY graduate........... you'll move to Tele anyway!!!! :micdrop:

Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not wanting to hijack here so feel free to point me elsewhere if this is counterproductive.....

I'm fairly certain I'll be in the tecnica Cochise this winter, do I use the standard alpine soles with the kingpin binding ?
@Yo Momma - at that price do you know if it has full toe and heel release similar to an alpine binding for the aging knees ?

Also can someone chime in on a comparison between the blizzard Zero G to the Volkl BMT at 95 width.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Catskill carver, not sure on the Kingpins as I do not own a pair and continue to be an uphill Poser.....I know my Lange Freetour's fit them but I've simply heard around here that they are pretty much bullet proof. You'll have to look up the details on them but this
pretty much summarizes what I've read and heard about them:

Marker Kingpin 13
Best For: Skiers who don’t trust traditional backcountry bindings.

The Test: The Achilles heel of most tech bindings? They’re either powerful and heavy or light and unreliable. The Kingpin goes a long way toward abolishing that dichotomy by marrying a lightweight toe for climbing efficiency with an alpine-like heel for security. It was the first tech model to meet the DIN standard for consistent release. The price of all those advantages: a bit more heft.

and this summary is why I bought the Freetour's: http://www.skiessentials.com/2018-lange-xt-130-freetour-ski-boots.html

Last edited:

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not wanting to hijack here so feel free to point me elsewhere if this is counterproductive.....

I'm fairly certain I'll be in the tecnica Cochise this winter, do I use the standard alpine soles with the kingpin binding ?
@Yo Momma - at that price do you know if it has full toe and heel release similar to an alpine binding for the aging knees ?

Also can someone chime in on a comparison between the blizzard Zero G to the Volkl BMT at 95 width.
Tecnica Cochise is fine in Kingpins with their standard sole blocks.
Mate of mine has this setup. He did order some AT sole blocks for a recent trip we did but they didn’t arrive in time. All good

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Kingpin has no lateral toe release like alpine bindings. If you're willing to be on the bleeding edge of technology, I would look at Fristichi's new this year binding, the Tecton. It has a lateral release at the toe (something Fritischi has done for years with success in the Vipec line), and a alpine-like heel similar to the Kingpin. Looks to be a very impressive binding by a company with a great reputation for their touring products.

MaCC

Booting up
Skier
I have learned after years of experience that I would not buy any boots that I have demo'd. And, if possible I would try 2-3 pairs of different boots and then pick what feels and works the best for you. Most good shops will treat all your rental charges as a discount against the purchase price from them of any selection. Hope this helps

Last edited:

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
I skin a lot in the mornings before work, but I usually do it in bounds. I had a pair of "touring" frame bindings which I have been using for this purpose for years. I ski 50/50 lift-serviced and hiking days. I've always been hesitant to get pure tech bindings because of the reliability aspect, and I want something that I can be at least moderately aggressive with on the downhill. The Kingpin was tempting, but I don't know if it will be on the market or not this year. But I saw enough of them inbounds and talked to enough people using them that I am sure that they were in-bounds serviceable if not an ideal downhill binding. Last week, I finally broke down and bought the Fritschi Tectons for this year. We'll see how they do, but they look like the logical successor to the kingpin. If I can't go 100% on the downhill, but only 75% or so, I will consider that a major victory. I have other skis with downhill bindings if it is a day where I really want to push it. Usually after a long hike, I am not feeling like attacking a mogul field at full tilt anyhow.

@Catskill carver, not sure on the Kingpins as I do not own a pair and continue to be an uphill Poser.....I know my Lange Freetour's fit them but I've simply heard around here that they are pretty much bullet proof. You'll have to look up the details on them but this
pretty much summarizes what I've read and heard about them:

Marker Kingpin 13
Best For: Skiers who don’t trust traditional backcountry bindings.

The Test: The Achilles heel of most tech bindings? They’re either powerful and heavy or light and unreliable. The Kingpin goes a long way toward abolishing that dichotomy by marrying a lightweight toe for climbing efficiency with an alpine-like heel for security. It was the first tech model to meet the DIN standard for consistent release. The price of all those advantages: a bit more heft.

and this summary is why I bought the Freetour's: http://www.skiessentials.com/2018-lange-xt-130-freetour-ski-boots.html

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skin a lot in the mornings before work, but I usually do it in bounds. I had a pair of "touring" frame bindings which I have been using for this purpose for years. I ski 50/50 lift-serviced and hiking days. I've always been hesitant to get pure tech bindings because of the reliability aspect, and I want something that I can be at least moderately aggressive with on the downhill. The Kingpin was tempting, but I don't know if it will be on the market or not this year. But I saw enough of them inbounds and talked to enough people using them that I am sure that they were in-bounds serviceable if not an ideal downhill binding. Last week, I finally broke down and bought the Fritschi Tectons for this year. We'll see how they do, but they look like the logical successor to the kingpin. If I can't go 100% on the downhill, but only 75% or so, I will consider that a major victory. I have other skis with downhill bindings if it is a day where I really want to push it. Usually after a long hike, I am not feeling like attacking a mogul field at full tilt anyhow.

Please get back to us and report on those Tectrons! :beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online