• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Didn't it also say that the test subjects will less hair were hotter than the other ones?

Hehe.

On a related note, I would not be at all surprised if this announcement spawns a new realm of black market fertility treatments within the next 3-4 years. Most of which, of course, will merely be using the publicity to bait and switch.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
All my aches and pains disappear when skiing powder so I go all out all day. The next day, however feels like:crutches:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia, I don’t know how I missed this thread the first time round. Sine you and I are nearly the same age, we are probably feeling similar aches and pains. I’ve had knee injuries, multiple surgeries, a fractured L1, cracked ribs, an inflamed rotator cuff. Today, besides some creakiness in my left knee, I feel pretty good.

My mantra is to keep moving. Once one stops being active, it’s all downhill, and not the fun kind of downhill we celebrate on Pugski.

I’ve always been physically active.....I was a bicycle racer for years, and brutal workouts were a normal thing for me. While I like to think I’m doing well for nearly 52 years old, I wake up with the typical aches and pains. I just ignore most of them and keep going. I do not take NSAIDS, unless I’m injured. My medication of choice is coffee. I find that teaching high schoolers is more tiring as I age, so I need coffee to keep alert and active on the job.

In contrast, by sister, who is 63, is a bit of a hypochondriac. Every little ache and pain sidelines her, and she is not proactive in helping herself. Although she looks good, she can’t ride a bicycle and instead rides an adult tricycle (she claims poor balance), she no longer XC skis due to back pain, and she complains about a new malady every time I see her.

So, she’s kind of been an inspiration in what NOT to do. What really helped this past year for me has been boxing classes. I go 3-4 times a week with my husband. Besides 8 rounds of boxing, the classes integrate strength training, yoga, Pilates, balance......my overall fitness has really improved and it’s also indicated in my blood work. Additionally, there is a lot of socialization in the classes and the gym owner has created a family atmosphere, which I think goes a long way towards building a sense of well being. After a 75-minute, 12-round boxing class followed by strength training class yesterday, I’m feeling it today, but I’ll still go for a run. Once I get out and move, I feel better.

Getting outdoors is key, too.....which is why ski season is so great. However, I do find that skiing in itself is not enough of a workout for me, and I have to continue doing other workouts through the winter or I develop imbalances.

I also find that doing stupid, fun stuff and acting like a kid is important (see my avatar). I refuse to act my age!

In summer I love to stand up paddle board. I also love swimming, but not in pools.....I’m too sensitive to chlorine. @Tricia , do you SUP on Tahoe? If not, I’m coming out to take you!

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is this all a compilation of aging and stuff you just have to deal with, or is there a way to eliminate these aging pains? :huh:

Testosterone. I had a female friend who had to take some for a condition, and found aches went away and she could workout hard with no soreness. Who knows, Phil might appreciate a neatly trimmed moustache.

I guess human growth hormone is pretty good stuff too. You just need to befriend a Russian track coach, or maybe some cyclist.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am finding that PT helps one thing and reveals another. I began having hip pain two years ago. It was initially diagnosed as a tight hip flexor - then as piriformus syndrome. As PT solved one problem, it revealed another- my knee wasn’t tracking correctly. So PT fixed that and now my already too tight ankle and calf are - too tight(er). Everything works together! I had no obvious injury but when I do fall while skiing, it tends to be spectacular! It’s likely I had an injury and didn’t know it.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Seem to get more 'Reminders' from the past as time goes by. Each year as a different ache or crackling sound appears old skiing memories come back.

That was where I broke a collarbone off a cornice.
Broke that ankle hitting a broken gate.
Those ribs were from a cat track in flat light.
The wrist, a poorly thrown helicopter on icy bumps.
The right shoulder was coming off a monster bump wrong end first.
The left shoulder was taking that fall on the downed beach logs you used to hike for balance exercise.
The right knee was chasing a pro race team.
The lower back, is just a cumulative thing.
And the list goes on.............

How can anyone claim to have a faltering memory when you are given these little reminders; Nature's version of post-it-notes?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This could be my new motto.

I've been using the hot tub and vitamin B - as In Bourbon. It helps
I can attest that it helps you sleep!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
27+ years of lifting, twisting, and heaving heavy trash bags, a car accident in HS that launched me through the back window, awkward landings in the triple jump pit that compressed my lower back, and numerous other oopsies over the years are definitely coming back to haunt me. Lower back pain that comes and goes along with sore knees (though not too bad), and both shoulders repaired remind me that I am a little older now and I surely don't heal as quickly. I'm in the "as long as I don't stop I'm ok" crowd. I could stand to lose a few (40?) pounds which would likely help a lot, but I'm really not much of an exerciser. And I do like food. Stupid food. And cocktails. Stupid, stupid booze! The temptations are so great! So, carry on, do what you can, and listen when the old bod says "call it a day"!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can attest that it helps you sleep!
I swear, that chair of yours has chloroform in it.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seem to get more 'Reminders' from the past as time goes by. Each year as a different ache or crackling sound appears old skiing memories come back.

That was where I broke a collarbone off a cornice.
Broke that ankle hitting a broken gate.
Those ribs were from a cat track in flat light.
The wrist, a poorly thrown helicopter on icy bumps.
The right shoulder was coming off a monster bump wrong end first.
The left shoulder was taking that fall on the downed beach logs you used to hike for balance exercise.
The right knee was chasing a pro race team.
The lower back, is just a cumulative thing.
And the list goes on.............

How can anyone claim to have a faltering memory when you are given these little reminders; Nature's version of post-it-notes?
They are reminders of a life well-lived.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia, I don’t know how I missed this thread the first time round. Sine you and I are nearly the same age, we are probably feeling similar aches and pains. I’ve had knee injuries, multiple surgeries, a fractured L1, cracked ribs, an inflamed rotator cuff. Today, besides some creakiness in my left knee, I feel pretty good.

My mantra is to keep moving. Once one stops being active, it’s all downhill, and not the fun kind of downhill we celebrate on Pugski.
I hear ya on the "don't stop moving" mantra.
The bigger problems we encountered with that this summer were...
  • Record breaking heat for 7 weeks, which doesn't inspire getting outdoors to do stuff
  • Tons of on line work and updates to the site that we were working on most of the summer
I was at my heaviest and most out of shape this fall, but fortunately, I started skiing and am taking off the lbs, getting into shape and feeling better.

In summer I love to stand up paddle board. I also love swimming, but not in pools.....I’m too sensitive to chlorine. @Tricia , do you SUP on Tahoe? If not, I’m coming out to take you!
I've SUPed, I'm not a big fan, but I know people who are crazy about it

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My arthritic knees with patellar tracking issues have been acting up since I quit biking 5-6 days per week.
I HATE going to the gym. HATE it. I feel trapped in a room with germs and other people's sweat. I taught classes for years, too, which is so ironic! This fall with no snow and late opening dates for the mountains is like torture to me. I might drag myself to yoga this morning.
MIGHT.
Anyway, I echo the idea that you HAVE to keep moving. It's not just good for the body, it's also good for the mind. And it becomes more crucial the older you get.
Maybe I need to stand outside and do an ULLR dance for 30 minutes.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My arthritic knees with patellar tracking issues have been acting up since I quit biking 5-6 days per week.
I HATE going to the gym. HATE it. I feel trapped in a room with germs and other people's sweat. I taught classes for years, too, which is so ironic! This fall with no snow and late opening dates for the mountains is like torture to me. I might drag myself to yoga this morning.
MIGHT.
Anyway, I echo the idea that you HAVE to keep moving. It's not just good for the body, it's also good for the mind. And it becomes more crucial the older you get.
Maybe I need to stand outside and do an ULLR dance for 30 minutes.
Yes! Me too:wave:
:beercheer:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
After jamming my perpetually always sore big toe over rotating a front flip at the trampoline park I was actually glad to be informed that they no longer allow flips anywhere except the foam pit. It actually hurts my back to jump high enough to land a back flip now.. not always, but more often than not that compression bottoms out my disks too hard leaving me a hobbling mess for weeks afterward. I think I'm probably done with and fully retired from inverted anything except off a diving board or foal pit now.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
My arthritic knees with patellar tracking issues....
My tracking issues were greatly helped with new orthotics. The manager of the PT clinic here is an expert at orthotics. She evaluated my feet, my ankles, knees, hips, and gait. The new orthotics feel good from the get-go. That plus exercises from the DPT, and I'm doing well. I think the unidentified tracking over many years contributed to my worn out cartilage between my patella and my femur. Hopefully the combination of the new orthotics (and modified ski boot foot beds to match), PT exercises, and bone marrow stem cell injections to grow new cartilage will make a big difference. So far, it has. My first ski day will be next Friday. I have high hopes.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My tracking issues were greatly helped with new orthotics. The manager of the PT clinic here is an expert at orthotics. She evaluated my feet, my ankles, knees, hips, and gait. The new orthotics feel good from the get-go. That plus exercises from the DPT, and I'm doing well. I think the unidentified tracking over many years contributed to my worn out cartilage between my patella and my femur. Hopefully the combination of the new orthotics (and modified ski boot foot beds to match), PT exercises, and bone marrow stem cell injections to grow new cartilage will make a big difference. So far, it has. My first ski day will be next Friday. I have high hopes.
I know that my tracking issues caused most of my arthritis, too. That's interesting about the orthotics. I'm seeing an orthopedist next week--it's worth asking about for sure.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know that my tracking issues caused most of my arthritis, too. That's interesting about the orthotics. I'm seeing an orthopedist next week--it's worth asking about for sure.

This was going to be the summer where I worked on balance, core strength, and weight loss. Instead I started having sciatica issues in late July. They may have been caused by a slow but hard fall I took in Mammoth on the Friday of our Diva weekend. I never expected the pain to sideline me for much of the summer.

There were days when I could barely walk 200'. Thankfully those days are gone, and I pray that they never return. However, I still have a fair amount of pain. Of course, I met none of my summer goals.

However, I was "born to ski". I managed about 8 easy runs each day on the Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Thankfully, I was able to ski without much pain. And neither of my bad knees had any complaints on the slopes.

Injuries ... oh yes. A torn ACL, tibia plateau fracture, knee replacement, several broken thumbs which now suffer from arthritis, broken ankle, rotator cuff and bicep repairs, several foot operations, etc. Every single injury has been a result of skiing, except for the problem toes which are genetic.

Aches and pains ... absolutely. But most of those aches and pains are almost as bad walking around the house, or going to the gym. And I'd rather be skiing!!!

Here's to all of us overcoming our aches and pains and having a great ski season. Have fun and be careful.