• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Buy the book "Younger Next Year" by Chris Crowley. Google him. Check out the YNY website. Look at the book reviews. The book is not just a game changer, it is a life changer.

My wife and I years ago became big fans of Arnica to sooth aches, pains and bruises. Actually a physio from a Euro ski team gave us some tablets, and we now use the gel more often. You can buy it at any health store that sells homeopathic mess, or buy it on Amazon for half the price! The stuff is amazing.

I'm 62. Feel better most days than when I was 42. So does my wife. Both huge Chris Crowley fans.

A friend gave me that book several years ago. Need to reread to motivate.

Do not go gently into that good night!

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I'm closing in on the half-century mark and for me yoga has been the key to keeping joint aches at bay. This is for general aches and pains, I (knock on wood) haven't had major injuries. Ten years ago I could be heard saying my knees were "too old" to ski moguls. Today I'm still not the fittest person on the hill and certainly don't have the most advanced technique, but I can ski MJ bell to bell with no complaints from the knees. YMMV.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are listening to it now, interesting.
A couple stand outs for me so far.
The question - How's your wife?
One of the things Phil and I find is that we tend to do better when we do it together, so that struck a chord with me.
Another thing is "decay precedes growth" and the discussion of inflammation. It makes me wonder how much I'm harming growth by taking anti-inflammatory meds for my daily aches and pains. :huh:

Another thing I noticed is - If nothing else, listening to it on the road is changing how we snack on the road. When we stopped to fuel up and switch drivers, we avoided buying crap food.

Last edited:

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
The book "Younger Next Year" sounds interesting, I'll have to pickup a copy.

Yes, avoid crap food, white stuff (bread, pasta, cake, rice, etc) and sugar and you'll probably live an extra ten years and be healthier. It's really easy to do.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty much, IME. It gets so that you don't notice as much.

NSAIDs? Time also helps, you get used to stuff. I have a partially separated AC (achromial-clavicular) joint in my shoulder from last year. It bummed me out and was pretty uncomfortable for a while, but I got used to it and don't notice it much now. Crunchy knees, degrading eyesight and hearing, smashed finger joints that won't heal back 100%... Aging takes a toll...wanna hear about my operation? ogwink

PA, i separated my shoulder in 2015. My ortho suggested I just leave it but I found it was bothering me more than I liked. one of the biggest issues (seriously!) was that with the extra incline on the shoulder it made it awkward to carry 2 pairs of skis at once - and as a racer that was more than just a minor issue! So I ended up having repair surgery on it, was definitely worth it for me. Although if I had realized that the original injury and the repair went into 2 insurance years and cost me 2 high deductibles I might have thought longer about it..:( But still would do it again.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a chronic case of being older than I used to be.

I notice that it impacts me more in the early season, once there is enough coverage to "go for it" on a powder day on the backside when I try to get some fresh snow and untracked lines before it gets all cut up. I'm simply not able to do that without taking a warm up run or two, but I found myself doing it anyway, and paid for it with some lower back pain and tired out legs. Once I'm warmed up, and in skiing shape, I'm good, give me the steeps, the bumps and the trees.

Other than limited range with my arms and shoulders (adhesive capsulitis) and the checking my insulin meter and pump throughout the day, I really can't complain. Except for cold hands.

Not really a bad condition to have. The alternative to that condition is not too attractive.
At least to me.

:) I am now at the stage where I dont mind how i feel when i wake up - just waking up is a bonus!! :beercheer:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The book "Younger Next Year" sounds interesting, I'll have to pickup a copy.

Yes, avoid crap food, white stuff (bread, pasta, cake, rice, etc) and sugar and you'll probably live an extra ten years and be healthier. It's really easy to do.

amen, though I can't kick the bad habit myself. I do try and offset it with the glass or two of wine daily! of course, in health questionnaires I do recall it's maybe a glass per night ...

Back in youth one thing I did was low carb, which effectively meant eating fresh non processed foods. I ate tons of veggies, salads etc, skipped the breads, rice and potatoes which for eastern euro ethnicity is pretty tough, and was pretty darn lean without horribly trying. Most the "healthy" diets promote in essence fresh non processed foods even if in the starch index.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
oh man ... just looking to pick up Crowley's book and sadly read:

men 50 or older can become functionally younger every year for the next five to ten years, and continue to live like fifty-year-olds

I wanna be 30! guess I'll read it twice, thrice, etc

ISBN 9780761147732, deal at Abe's books ...

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This guy celebrated his 106th birthday skiing.
February 13th, at Crystal Mountain Michigan

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Buy the book "Younger Next Year" by Chris Crowley. The book is not just a game changer, it is a life changer.
Younger Next Year for Women, YNY Journal, and Thinner This Year arrived last week. After the Gathering, I will start reading and integrating.

I can almost see a YNY thread in our future.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Obviously, we bought in!
So did I. I bought the 3rd book focusing on exercise, glossed over the women's book just in case, and started last summer. I cleaned up my diet too. Am a stronger skier this year as a result, have improved my vitals & bloodwork numbers, and overall feel pretty good. So much information is so readily available, It really helps to find that one thing in diet/exercise to glom onto and stick to, otherwise there are so many options that it's counter-productive.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Lower back pain kicked into overdrive as I got out of bed this morning. Wife questioned way I would ever consider skiing. Told her that I was fine once I got on the snow and we logged a dozen runs with 17K vert. Pain in my back stated with the storm last Tuesday were my snow removal guy dragged his tired ass home after skiing all day then had to shovel and snow blow for a few hours. After three days of doing the same thing my back was crying foul. With Stowe on tap for Friday, Killington lift and Bar challenge on Saturday and my 100th Killington day on Sunday I had no time for a bad back. Made it thru Monday with only 20 days to go before get a three day break. May have to give up shoveling snow if it affects my skiing this much as I age.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So did I. I bought the 3rd book focusing on exercise, glossed over the women's book just in case, and started last summer. I cleaned up my diet too. Am a stronger skier this year as a result, have improved my vitals & bloodwork numbers, and overall feel pretty good. So much information is so readily available, It really helps to find that one thing in diet/exercise to glom onto and stick to, otherwise there are so many options that it's counter-productive.
Glad to here you're getting some good out of this. I've really enjoyed it and will continue to listen when I'm on the road to inspire me.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I almost called this Growing Pains, but thats not really what this is about.

So, here it is, I haven't had any major crashes that have injured my body,(other than the bike crash with broken ribs 6 years ago) but I've had a few tweaky things happen, like a double eject in a powder pile with a little extra streaaaaaach of my calf muscle. I've also extended my arm a bit too much during a "save" and feel an extra pain in my elbow.
I'm finding a twinge in my knee from time to time and my hip aches, (which I relate to the LLD and lack of lift in many of my shoes)

Is this all a compilation of aging and stuff you just have to deal with, or is there a way to eliminate these aging pains? :huh:

I can only imagine how much the young guns who've had serious injuries are going to be feeling it when they're my age, considering that I haven't really beaten my body up like they have.

Pretty much, IME. It gets so that you don't notice as much.

ogwink

The daily pains (arthritis in a foot, both knees that have been damaged, the shoulder surgery, etc., etc......) get like eye floaters. Your brain learns to accept/ignore them.

Sponsor

Staff online