• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Buy the book "Younger Next Year" by Chris Crowley. Google him. Check out the YNY website. Look at the book reviews. The book is not just a game changer, it is a life changer.
Phil and I are doing a lot of road trips this time of year. I just used an iTunes gift card my mom gave me to buy the audio book. I think it all be a good thing to listen to while driving. Thanks for the suggestion.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/younger-next-year/id364292418?mt=11

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Phil and I are doing a lot of road trips this time of year. I just used an iTunes gift card my mom gave me to buy the audio book. I think it all be a good thing to listen to while driving. Thanks for the suggestion.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/younger-next-year/id364292418?mt=11

Glad to offer up the suggestion. I had not even thought of it on audio. Will be interested to hear your thoughts. I keep a copy of the book handy and refer to it a fair amount. Have read it a number of times. This is not what I, at least ,think of as "another one of those self help
books", BTW. And I normally avoid them. My wife hates them. So, you might listen to it, and decide to buy a hard copy.

The basic question that CC had, and began to work on with his doc, was whether he could get healthier and more fit once he retired early, through his seventies, and eighties. Not maintain his fitness, but improve it. His goal was to avoid the long decline that many go through,

Imagine a graph, with a long step downhill slope from say age 50 to maybe 95, then consider Crowley's which is UPHILL, for a long time, say to at least 75, then level the rest of the way until it ends. Maybe a quick drop off.

He is in his 80's and he is a lot more active that guys I know, who are athletic and a generation younger. Skis alpine and nordic, hikes, cycles, and rows a lot. Spends some time in the gym. Stretches. Keeps his mind real active, largely through his world with YNY.

I would normally have been a HUGE skeptic, were it not for a common friend with him who mentioned it. So....it's not "one of those books."

Let us/me know what you think.

Last edited:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Interesting thread. The two of us have somehow accumulated 160 years of living, we have skied many of those years. We've also had injuries, illnesses, and worn out body parts with their accompanying aches and pains. We're lucky enough to spend winters in Crested Butte minutes from the slopes and are able to ski most days. In the summer we ride road bikes almost daily. It's just what we do. No secret to it, we just keep moving. Even if it's slowly.

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Interesting thread. The two of us have somehow accumulated 160 years of living, we have skied many of those years. We've also had injuries, illnesses, and worn out body parts with their accompanying aches and pains. We're lucky enough to spend winters in Crested Butte minutes from the slopes and are able to ski most days. In the summer we ride road bikes almost daily. It's just what we do. No secret to it, we just keep moving. Even if it's slowly.

Fantastic !!!!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
No secret to it, we just keep moving. Even if it's slowly. That's what Art said too Jack.
Art.jpg

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Last season I was plagued with what I thought was hip pain mostly on my right side. Saw the doc & he determined it was my sacroiliac (SI) joints. Did some PT & added the exercises to my workout schedule at home. Worked great. But now my left SI joint is becoming grumpy. Sigh. The exercises address both SI joints, so I guess my left SI is just late to the party. I'll just keep working at it.

Note that this SI joint thing doesn't bug me when I'm skiing, only after. I've just added it to the long list of aches/pains that greet me every morning. Once I get spun-up & moving, I'm good.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
This year is a sprained ankle that won't heal despite PT, etc., and consequent issues with calf,
I feel this one. I sprained my ankle almost exactly a month ago. Today I was able to get that ski boot on. Previously, I think my ankle would have fit, but I couldn't push hard enough to get my foot in. But, closing the joint creates a whole buncha pressure and some mild-ish pain. I thought I'd be skiing next weekend, but my better judgment has doubts.

I should also add ... lying on the snow after I fell, I thought my season was over. Fact is, I can still go to the Gathering and will get a few more days in at Bachelor. It could have been worse.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
One thing us older folks need to be more vigilant of is that "no serious injury" may turn out to be something pretty severe. A guy about ten years older than I am who we ski with about every year up in PA and WV got rear ended by a snowboarder at Snowshoe trying to carry speed across the flat runout. They guy got up, dusted himself off, and was able to rest a few minutes then carried his gear to the car and drove home to the DC area from Snowshoe. Pain got worse and he arrived at the hospital to discover FIVE broken ribs, and broke in multiple places. What seemed like just a usual ski mishap crushed his aged and more brittle ribs. Even regular or good shape, non osteo deprived folks my age and older can suffer damage far worse than what we used to sustain on a weekly basis out having fun.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
VickieH -- I'm 82, wife is 78. Just checked with the computer and it adds to 160. Ninety and anything would really be impressive.

I believe in you!

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Vickie the photo isn't me. Think maybe he skis at Bachelor. I am really impressed by his skiing into his 90's. Hope I can do it too. A gent from back East comes to Crested Butte every year for an extended stay, saw him on the hill a week or two ago and stopped to say hello. His parka has 70, 80, and now 90 year patches. He said this was his first year as a 90 year old skier. Quite a guy.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd suggest besides cardio/yoga/physical which keeps ya young, if aching and such, consider dietary changes. I suspect others can suggest experts such as Dr Joel Furman, others.

The idea on this is most the diets I've seen referenced besides being cancer fighters, But other bigger thing is the anti-inflammatory effect for stiff joints, etc.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Has anyone had positive experiences with arnica for aches and pains?

Application of "Arnicare" cream to my "knees on fire" works ....

For about 1/2 hour ;-)

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Has anyone had positive experiences with arnica for aches and pains?

Application of "Arnicare" cream to my "knees on fire" works ....

For about 1/2 hour ;-)

Yes. My family uses it, and have been for about 12 years. Great results. For more than a half hour.

I first heard of it from a USST doc. Then our son raced a full year with a torn shoulder labrum, and his doc {generally considered the top sports shoulder guy in the country} recommended both Arnica/Montana tablets and Arnicare gel.

My wife, adult kids and I use it whenever we have muscle, or ligament strain. For us, it works. I bet the kids have a few dozen friends who use it.....introduced years ago by them.

Just my strong $.02!

Last edited:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Yes. My family uses it, and have been for about 12 years. Great results. For more than a half hour.

I first heard of it from a USST doc. Then our son raced a full year with a torn shoulder labrum, and his doc {generally considered the top sports shoulder guy in the country} recommended both Arnica/Montana tablets and Arnicare gel.

My wife, adult kids and I use it whenever we have muscle, or ligament strain. For us, it works. I bet the kids have a few dozen friends who use it.....introduced years ago by them.

Just my string $.02!

Yup!

The Arnica Montana tabs are in the medicine chest.!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Pulled something in my back bending over to put boots on.. Skied that day but was sore for over a month afterwards. Landed a jump kind of hard near the end of the LZ and felt a POP! in my chest as I compressed.. felt like a bullet hit me, lost my breath for a moment. Ribs were very sore for a month again, so sore I had to sleep on the other side.

I hike, I coach soccer, I stretch, I skateboard sometimes. Still can blow something and wreck myself at ant time due to one sudden, jerky, unexpected move. Getting old sucks.

Still beats the alternative though

Sponsor