• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New XC MTB for me!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess it depends on how limited your budget is, and how committed you are to riding. When I bought my old road bike, I wasn't sure how much I would ride. I was a former mountain biker who'd moved to the flatlands, and wasn't sure about becoming a "roadie." I also had a low budget. So I bought a basic bike and upgraded when I could afford it and knew what I wanted. Now that I've gotten the itch to mountain bike again, I'm still in the flatlands :(, so I've bought an inexpensive mountain bike and a better road bike. Different situation for @Doug Briggs. I vote for the best bike your budget will allow.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You're recovering much faster than me. After walking dogs, I rode a little over an hour today, my first time on a bike in two months. (Tomorrow makes 9 weeks since my crash.) My ride was mostly on easy dirt and paved paths and residential streets, with a little on busier streets. It was about 90 when I got home a little after noon. I will probably ride in Santa Cruz tomorrow where it's a lot cooler, but I'm not ready to take advantage of the $20 factory demos they offer.

I have, for better or worse, a high tolerance for pain and a low tolerance for inactivity. I was told by my doctor that except for falling again, I couldn't hurt or slow the healing by being as active as I could stand, so here I am. My pain level yesterday after the ride was no more than if I had sat at my desk working all day, which frankly surprised me. I figured I'd get on one, maybe two bikes and feel like crap.

Today I am going to Silverthorne to try some more bikes. I saw an ad in the paper for Wilderness Sports as having Santa Cruz, which I want to try, not realizing they carried them. They aren't listed as a dealer on the SC web site. Boo.

I'm aiming at a $4000 MSRP build for about $3000 as a goal. Good enough that I know it'll run well, not so expensive that I'm left in the poor house. I ride less than 500 miles a year and am not nearly as demanding of my bike as I am of my skis. It'll all work out in the end.

Thanks to all the folks who have participated in this thread for the comments and suggestions.
:beercheer:

I'll continue to report until the deal is done.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The hunt has narrowed down to a Santa Cruz 5010C. I also demoed my neighbor's Branson which I feel would make a good second choice. A little more slack than the 5010 but eminently rideable. I rode real trails today. Serious climbing and descending albeit short. My body withstood realistic riding with aplomb.
:golfclap:

It is a demo being offered for at least $1000 off MSRP. I've looked at so many bikes I don't know if it is the R or S build, but it'll be saweet! The trick is that the shop's Labor Day Sale is 'first come first served' . I'll be camping in the lot to insure I'm first in line for the bike. Wish me luck.
:crossfingers:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The hunt has narrowed down to a Santa Cruz 5010C. I also demoed my neighbor's Branson which I feel would make a good second choice. A little more slack than the 5010 but eminently rideable. I rode real trails today. Serious climbing and descending albeit short. My body withstood realistic riding with aplomb.
:golfclap:

It is a demo being offered for at least $1000 off MSRP. I've looked at so many bikes I don't know if it is the R or S build, but it'll be saweet! The trick is that the shop's Labor Day Sale is 'first come first served' . I'll be camping in the lot to insure I'm first in line for the bike. Wish me luck.
:crossfingers:

So are you in lurv?

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Right now, just in lust. Lurv will come later when we consummate our relationship. :eek:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Right now, just in lust. Lurv will come later when we consummate our relationship. :eek:

That's an interesting order of operations ... (no judgment!)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So, I take it you judged the carbon a safe enough bet ...

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Pretty everyone is on CF now. The Branson they have at the same shop is Alu and I'd consider it although I think its build is of lesser quality than the 5010's

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My neighbor got the Branson after SC warranted his 5010c frame for paint flaking off. He rebuilt the new frame with the old components, sold it and bought the Branson. Again CF. Santa Cruz is apparently quite generous with their warranty.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My neighbor got the Branson after SC warranted his 5010c frame for paint flaking off. He rebuilt the new frame with the old components, sold it and bought the Branson. Again CF. Santa Cruz is apparently quite generous with their warranty.
They're offering lifetime on their CF frames..that's generous! :) That 5010 is a helluva nice bike.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
They're offering lifetime on their CF frames..that's generous! :) That 5010 is a helluva nice bike.

I need to verify that. While it would be nice, it isn't crucial to my decision. Certainly his bike was only a year old but they were very generous.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This was on the way...
20170901_230302.jpg

To being....
20170901_230319.jpg

First in line.
20170901_235417.jpg

I met the owner on his way out. He said at least 3 others were hoping to get the 5010C. More to follow.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I demoed a 2015 5010X summer before last. Asking price was $6500. It was a really great ride. Did not feel like it was 5K more of a ride than my $1,500 aluminum Kona Hei Hei though.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I arrived a bit before midnight. The owner left the store and was surprised and pleased to see someone already waiting.

20170901 - At Wilderness Sports - 21231976_1138916429542370_8353228639242256023_n.jpg

He posted this on his FB page soon after.

A little later another guy showed up. We eyed each other up and down. I said: I'm getting a mt bike. He relaxed and said: I'm getting a Roubaix. About 3pm a neighbor and friend showed up to get a bike for his daughter. Around 4 another. By 7 we were up to about 15 people with only one person that got shut out. I bought new pedals to go with the new bike. And a new jersey. They cut mine off when I wrecked 4 weeks ago.
1f641.png
:-(

This was the 5010C S build, MSRP $4799. Purchased for $2799. Happy happy.

I'm going to sleep and eat before I go for a ride. I have adjusted everything so it is ready to go, though.

20170902_095856_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

Thanks again for all the advice, information and comments everyone. Hopefully this ride will stay rubber side down better than my last bike.

;)

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
After a nap, food and fluids, I'm going for a gentle ride with a friend to keep an eye on me. Baby steps.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The first ride is in the books! The is a serious 'trail whip' as they say in the promotional materials. Everything seemed easier. Up, down, shifting. The only thing that will take getting used to is the bar width.

20170902_154831_French Gulch Road.jpg

One of my favorite vistas. And the leaves they are a changin'.

upload_2017-9-2_16-38-16.png

Nothing spectacular other than a successful ride and shakedown of the new gear. I feel really good. Bumps and such were not an issue at all for my injury.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Well, here are three good reasons to go Santa Cruz:

Lifetime Frame Warranty
Santa Cruz Bicycles will repair or replace at its option any frame it determines to be defective. The warranty will be in effect for lifetime of the original, registered owner. In order to confirm that you are the original owner, please register using our Warranty Registration Form at the time of purchase. Frames purchased prior to May 1, 2015 will be covered under the previously existing 5 year warranty. Warranties do not cover custom finishes.

Lifetime Bearing Warranty
Santa Cruz Bicycles pivot bearings are warranted for life to the original owner of the bike. The return process is simple: fill out the Warranty Bearing Replacement Form, upload a copy of your purchase receipt, and we'll get a new set of bearings out to you within 48 hours!

No-Fault Replacement
Santa Cruz Bicycles will make replacement frame parts available to the original owner at a minimal charge in the event of a crash or other non-warranty situation for the life of the bike.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 5010 (aka "SOLO") has a wide range of capabilities.

For a one bike quiver, you chose well, over the Bronson.

Sponsor

Staff online