• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New XC MTB for me!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I need your help in finding the right bike for me.

My accident insurance will cover my deductible and out of pocket for my recent wreck so I'm going to take the windfall and get a new bike to replace my Sugar 2+. I have not been in the shops yet 1) because I can't ride a bike to test ride right now, 2) I'm waiting for the end of season sales to start and 3) I'm waiting to find out my actual budget. I don't know how much I'll have when all is said and done but it ought to be at least $4,000.

My first thoughts/questions/desired configuration are:
  • full suspension
  • needs to climb well - I loved the Sug because it had no pogo effect whatsoever
  • 27.5+ - I like my 2.35 tires so figure + is the way to go; I am not inclined to 29 unless a great argument can be made in favor of it
  • dropper seat post
  • 1x drive train - can you even get 2x or 3x anymore?
  • excellent components - I favor durability and reliability over weight
  • disc brakes - hydraulic vs cable? minimum rotor size? are these even options anymore?
  • Alu? Carbon? Do they make steel bikes anymore?
  • Pedals - I currently am SPD and find them quite tough and am happy with their performance; what else, if anything, should I consider?
  • ??? what am I missing/not considering?
I ride mostly single track with roots, rocks, sidehills, etc.; basically non-trivial terrain. Then I ride down similar terrain. I won't be doing lift access DH, no DH at all really, other than normal XC descents. I should slow down on descents but I don't think that is likely to happen. I'm certainly not the fastest guy going downhill. I'm pretty casual on climbs, effort-wise. I'm not racing and I don't need to be KOM. As mentioned, I want strong and durable over lightweight but weight does matter to some degree. I'm 190, 5'11".

I don't need to spend all my windfall on the bike but I want a bike that will last me a good long time (my Sug is 15 y.o.). I will consider used from a local shop or known individual but also will consider new on a good sale.

Feel free to point me to appropriate threads/posts rather than reiterate things, but I did a quick search and without poring through countless threads, I didn't find the info I wanted apart from my knowledge of the list of features above. I'm interested in hearing brand recommendations as well as particular models. What brand is awesome? What models suck?

A dichroic paint job would be bonus. My Sug is either green or brown depending on the light and viewing angle. ;-)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yay! (Buying bikes is fun! Helping other people spend their money on bikes is almost just as fun!) I was quietly wondering if you might start thinking about this ...

There are a few recent threads on choosing new bikes, but I think they tipped toward a different price point.

Comments from the peanut gallery:

Check out 27.5+ vs 27.5. I am running 2.5 and 2.6 on a non-plus bike, and those are not considered plus. We seem to be on the cusp of a tech change where 27.5+ implies wider rims, but I don't think that's universal.

Plenty of bikes come with 2x; I can't remember the last time I saw 3x. It's definitely a way to shave money and give yourself a wider range of gears. My 1x12 is crazy nice, but on the other hand in order to get a granny gear just like my old bike, I easily hit the max gear on descents. In fact I remember being unable to pedal hard enough to keep up with you coming back down the road to your house, and I'm almost certain I would have been faster with my old bike/drivetrain.

I haven't seen complex paint jobs in a while. Seems like one or two superhero colors and some stickers for the logo.

Have you looked at local company Guerilla Gravity? Seem like a nice price point, and it's always fun to have something not everybody has. (I don't know why their URL is ridegg.com) http://ridegg.com/shreddogg http://ridegg.com/trailpistol

Also there is a Front Range bike swap group on Facebook - there are a lot of nice bikes coming through there. Used, but some of these people may be trustworthy ;-) https://www.facebook.com/groups/frontrangebikeswap/

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
4k?
You could pick up a nicely equipped giant anthem and have enough money leftover for a nice long vacation somewhere cool with it.

I can't wait to till its time to shop for bikes...enjoy the journey!

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Brian Likes Pow , so budgeting $4K is pretty high? My Sug was $2K in '02 and a quick peek at a shop (would you believe I'm looking at their high end bikes and not a soul comes over to ask if they can help?) and $4 to $5 K did seem like the limit of the high end.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Monique , So 'standard' frames can take pretty big tires? My Sug was maxed out at 2.25 on the rear and the rim had to be true. Front could probably go a bit bigger. I've asked to join that group. Thanks.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I could possibly be happy with a 1x drive; I am supposed to be slowing down, right? I hear dropping the chain is a problem with 1x since the chain gets pretty slack in order to pedal even a bit when going fast. Should I care about being able to pedal on descents when gravity has already got me going pretty quick? I like to add a little pedal at the end of turns.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
4K gets you a pretty sweet xc bike especially as you're not a weight weenie. Obviously some brands run higher....if you're not brand specific then that will help a ton.

I bought my 29 trance on sale for 1500 in 2013 and have ridden the hell out of it. I've maybe dropped 1k over the years replacing/upgrading stuff. Its not the bike of my dreams but it suits me well and has held up beautifully.

That said if you got the dough....buy the bike of your dreams. You cab maybe get on a carbon fiber....some of the direct companies seem like a good way to go here imo. Canyon, YT, ect. ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Monique , So 'standard' frames can take pretty big tires? My Sug was maxed out at 2.25 on the rear and the rim had to be true. Front could probably go a bit bigger. I've asked to join that group. Thanks.

It will depend on the frame, and is further complicated by the actual measurements of various 2.4s, 2.5s, etc... but it's definitely worth investigating. I believe @Ron put wide rims and 2.8s on his "standard" frame. I was worried that wouldn't give me enough mud clearance, but that was just speculation on my part.

I could possibly be happy with a 1x drive; I am supposed to be slowing down, right? I hear dropping the chain is a problem with 1x since the chain gets pretty slack in order to pedal even a bit when going fast. Should I care about being able to pedal on descents when gravity has already got me going pretty quick? I like to add a little pedal at the end of turns.

I haven't noticed any slack or drop issues yet, but I do hear it can be a thing. You yourself might also consider putting a bigger single ring up front if you don't find yourself in granny great much. Or of course do a 2x. Most bikes still have the option, although I wonder if that will be the case in 5 years.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks guys. Keep it coming!

It will depend on the frame, and is further complicated by the actual measurements of various 2.4s, 2.5s, etc... but it's definitely worth investigating. I believe @Ron put wide rims and 2.8s on his "standard" frame. I was worried that wouldn't give me enough mud clearance, but that was just speculation on my part.

I haven't noticed any slack or drop issues yet, but I do hear it can be a thing. You yourself might also consider putting a bigger single ring up front if you don't find yourself in granny great much. Or of course do a 2x. Most bikes still have the option, although I wonder if that will be the case in 5 years.

I use a fair amount of granny but also like the cleaner solution of only one derailleur. And as I (and my docs) keep telling myself, I need to slow down. ;-)

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
http://mikesbikes.com/product/felt-bicycles-decree-1-18239.htm

• full suspension - check
  • needs to climb well - I loved the Sug because it had no pogo effect whatsoever - check
  • 27.5+ - I like my 2.35 tires so figure + is the way to go; I am not inclined to 29 unless a great argument can be made in favor of it - check
  • dropper seat post - check
  • 1x drive train - can you even get 2x or 3x anymore? - check
  • excellent components - I favor durability and reliability over weight - check
  • disc brakes - hydraulic vs cable? minimum rotor size? are these even options anymore? - check
  • Alu? Carbon? Do they make steel bikes anymore? - Carbon check
  • Pedals - I currently am SPD and find them quite tough and am happy with their performance; what else, if anything, should I consider? - Sorry, you're going to have to find your own pedals
  • $4k or under - check
I find myself wishing for push-button suspension lockouts/adjustments. I don't want to stop to make changes. Yeah, first world problems.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I use a fair amount of granny but also like the cleaner solution of only one derailleur. And as I (and my docs) keep telling myself, I need to slow down. ;-)

Mhhmm. If you think that not having a deep range of gears will slow you down enough to keep you from getting hurt ... I got a bridge to sell ya!

Seriously, though, do you think you really will be slowing it down - or are you being somewhat tongue in cheek about it?

I talked to my husband about how apprehensive I am about a lot of technical riding, and he said that I take far bigger risks when skiing. But they don't *feel* bigger to me ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
http://mikesbikes.com/product/felt-bicycles-decree-1-18239.htm

• full suspension - check
  • needs to climb well - I loved the Sug because it had no pogo effect whatsoever - check
  • 27.5+ - I like my 2.35 tires so figure + is the way to go; I am not inclined to 29 unless a great argument can be made in favor of it - check
  • dropper seat post - check
  • 1x drive train - can you even get 2x or 3x anymore? - check
  • excellent components - I favor durability and reliability over weight - check
  • disc brakes - hydraulic vs cable? minimum rotor size? are these even options anymore? - check
  • Alu? Carbon? Do they make steel bikes anymore? - Carbon check
  • Pedals - I currently am SPD and find them quite tough and am happy with their performance; what else, if anything, should I consider? - Sorry, you're going to have to find your own pedals
  • $4k or under - check
I find myself wishing for push-button suspension lockouts/adjustments. I don't want to stop to make changes. Yeah, first world problems.

Quibble - from your link -

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snakeskin, TL-ready, Folding, 27.5 x 2.25

That does not look like a plus size to me.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Mhhmm. If you think that not having a deep range of gears will slow you down enough to keep you from getting hurt ... I got a bridge to sell ya!

Seriously, though, do you think you really will be slowing it down - or are you being somewhat tongue in cheek about it?

I talked to my husband about how apprehensive I am about a lot of technical riding, and he said that I take far bigger risks when skiing. But they don't *feel* bigger to me ...

I hear you, but I do end up pedaling in a tall gear on some of the flow trails with big berms and minor descents entering turny trails. If I couldn't keep up with the gears, I'd slow a little and I think that less energy going into a fall would equate to less injury from the fall. Just a thought. Realistically, will I slow down? Not probably much.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I hear you, but I do end up pedaling in a tall gear on some of the flow trails with big berms and minor descents entering turny trails. If I couldn't keep up with the gears, I'd slow a little and I think that less energy going into a fall would equate to less injury from the fall. Just a thought. Realistically, will I slow down? Not probably much.

I don't miss it much. But occasionally, I do miss it. And you know I don't ride all that fast.

As you do use your granny, you want to check the specific 1x setup to compare feet per rotation (I can never remember the name for this measurement). I had to upgrade to the Eagle ($$$$), which is a 1x12, to get a granny that matched my old bike. And while you're at it, might as well compare the same for the high gear ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Plai , you are riding a Decree 1?

Yes, it's my first *real* MTB, so take my words w/ more than the usual amount of salt.

I've been riding road a number of years (weekend warrior) and I went through the stages aluminum, race carbon, to endurance carbon.

I got into MTB this summer with an old (~2000) Aluminum frame, but didn't realized the trails I was riding would be hard on the suspension, which blew in the first ride. I wanted something more durable, and let me grow into it. Given my ability to stick w/ a painful sport (skiing, road biking, other: recovery is a pain), I had confidence in my ability to stick with something vs just wanting nice things.

My MTB rides are in the Santa Cruz mountains around SF South Bay. Switch backs, steep grades, tree roots, tire ruts from wet periods. I'm just riding the easier ones:
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7000629/john-nicholas-trail
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3934035/emma-mccrary-trail

I knew that I would eventually want something in the Specialized Stumpjumper/Santa Cruz Tallboy class, but didn't want to pay their cost. I was all set of getting an aluminum Specialized Camber, but the Felt just was great find. Now I don't have to upgrade.

Skiing analogy: I got my Stockli laser ax / Renoun Z90 ... without going through the "intermediate" skis at the intermediate ski price.

Yes, there's some fine tuning of seat position, learning how to balance properly, how to do little jumps, maybe a bunny hop, but now I can focus on skills rather than gear. [Yeah, I don't believe that either. I'm a gear junkie and my name is Paul. ;-]

Quibble - from your link -

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snakeskin, TL-ready, Folding, 27.5 x 2.25

Hmmm... I could swear the 27.5 x 2.6 ... definitely not 27.5x 2.25

I'll take a picture later tonight to confirm/deny.

Sponsor