• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New skis and bindings...what do I need to tell the shop guys to do when I get them tuned?

NoScoped

Booting up
Skier
Hey guys,

Just got a new set of skis (bindings already installed) and was going to take them in to my local shop to get the bindings tuned and skis waxed but was wondering if there was anything I should specifically ask them to do. Know that I need the forward pressure and DIN set but was wondering if there was anything else I should be sure to bring up.

Thanks.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just took my (new last season) skis in to my local shop and asked them what they thought needed to be done. They looked them over and the good news was, the skis are in great shape. They going to give them a nice hot wax and de-burr the edges, that's all. They're a reputable shop and I figure they know more about skis than I do.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Hey guys,

Just got a new set of skis (bindings already installed) and was going to take them in to my local shop to get the bindings tuned and skis waxed but was wondering if there was anything I should specifically ask them to do. Know that I need the forward pressure and DIN set but was wondering if there was anything else I should be sure to bring up.

Thanks.

We-e-ll, I'd make sure of your shop first. A good shop is a goldmine; a bad one, not so great. If they tune a lot of race skis, you can probably trust them.

A binding check would be in order (I assume bindings were mounted to your BSL, or that they're demo bindings). The shop can adjust forward pressure at that point.

You could have them check for base flatness. Flat is good. Not flat = not good. If not flat, you may need a base grind, which you really hope not to have.

You don't say where you're skiing, what you're skiing on, and what your skis are. If you're on hard snow a lot, you'll want to consider your edge tune. If you're on soft snow, it doesn't matter so much. For the East, where there be ice, you may want to consider 3º side edges; most skis don't come that way. Base edges are another matter. If you're not a highly technical skier, you probably won't want to change the base angle — at least not yet.

Hope that's helpful.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
If they are new skis they may not need sharpening, depending on the skis. I have a shop I trust and I've been fairly lucky with skis in that when I got them they only needed wax so it was a chance to save a few bucks. However, I've been told I've been lucky on that front and that many skis often need sharpening right out of the box so you might need sharpening as well. I usually buy end of season demo skis so I'll usually have my guys look them over and aside from setting my DIN and doing a binding release check, they'll tune up as needed. I've never needed anything beyond that done aside from when I come down off a bump and landed on a rock and needed some base repair work. My guy bought a pair of demo skis that have a shoddy repair job done to them so they'll likely need a base grind but I'll have the pros at the shop take a look and advise accordingly. If you don't have a shop you trust perhaps someone who lives in your area can recommend someone.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Some skis might come with edges higher than the base in some areas (railed) or the opposite. So I guess at minimum check that the bases are flat and the edges sharp amd detuned where needed.

TS
NoScoped

NoScoped

Booting up
Skier
Sorry I didn't clarify in my OP. I'll be skiing in Tahoe and have Blizzard Brahma SP's with TP IQ bindings. BSL is 305.

Would asking for a binding tune be specific enough for the shop to know what needs to be done? I'm located in the Monterey, CA area and unfortunately don't have a lot of ski shops around here to take them in to. I was going to either take them to REI or a local shop (Helm of Sun Valley).

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Just so you know, you adjust or check bindings. A ski technician will check the release (DIN setting) and forward pressure according to the information you fill out ont the form he gives you. Remember to take your boots with you. They are needed to check the release settings.

Skis are tuned. Ask them to check the skis to see if a full tune is needed or just a waxing. Check out what @Read Blinn told you up there.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I would ask for a basic tune and tell them these are new skis and you need your DIN set and a binding bring a boot so they can set your DIN and do a binding release check. In a pinch I've gotten tunes from REI and they did a good job. I've never had REI do anything for me other than a basic tune/binding release check. I've always had my shop(s) do any base work. Another option would be to bring the skis to a local shop and have them look over the bases and do the tune up/binding check there.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry I didn't clarify in my OP. I'll be skiing in Tahoe and have Blizzard Brahma SP's with TP IQ bindings. BSL is 305.

Would asking for a binding tune be specific enough for the shop to know what needs to be done? I'm located in the Monterey, CA area and unfortunately don't have a lot of ski shops around here to take them in to. I was going to either take them to REI or a local shop (Helm of Sun Valley).
The ONLY shop I would trust between you and Tahoe is @Greg Whitehouse 's crew at California Ski Co in Berkeley. Now, if you come up past them, great. if not, @smoothrides in Truckee will give you the fastest turnaround and best work up here. With the tune, Cooper will tell you if you need anything to be changed on the tune and at least start you off with a good waxing.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
A great shop should pull out a true bar and check the base flatness and the base bevel. A non flat base will cause the ski to do very strange things. The base bevel determines how quickly the ski will engage. Changing either of those parameters requires a stone grind and an experienced hand to fix. Brand new skis don’t necessarily have perfect bases either.

Any shop can setup bindings to match your boots. They’ll know about setting forward pressure, DIN, etc.

Changing side edge angles... unless you’re skiing firm snow, you might never notice.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

So, these are adjustable (demo type), which is great. Take your boots anyways as suggested by @T-Square .

I couldn't agree more with the importance of a good shop. Cal Ski Co is great, as suggested by @Philpug, but for you it is half way to Tahoe. Unless you come this way for some other reason, you are better off picking a good place in Tahoe, and doing this before you first ski day of the season. It is THAT important. If you arrive on your ski day, make an early morning appointment in advance, have a basic binding check, and come back after skiing for the rest of the work if any. Best luck. You are doing so well in asking as opposed to second guessing!

TS
NoScoped

NoScoped

Booting up
Skier
The ONLY shop I would trust between you and Tahoe is @Greg Whitehouse 's crew at California Ski Co in Berkeley. Now, if you come up past them, great. if not, @smoothrides in Truckee will give you the fastest turnaround and best work up here. With the tune, Cooper will tell you if you need anything to be changed on the tune and at least start you off with a good waxing.

Are there any shops with a quick turnaround that you would recommend in or around Heavenly? I will be there next week but won't have a car so will be fairly limited with where I'll be able to go.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are there any shops with a quick turnaround that you would recommend in or around Heavenly? I will be there next week but won't have a car so will be fairly limited with where I'll be able to go.
As mentioned above, most any shop can do the binding test, and Helm would be my first choice over REI. I would also say that they can do a hot wax just to get your out skiing. I do not know those shops or any on the South Shore enough to reccommend them do a tune.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Don't ask for a basic tune. What does that mean in each individual shop? Ask for your skis to be evaluated for base flatness and for edge sharpness. Get the problems fixed. Don't have material removed from the ski if that's not needed, and maybe miss what is needed. You don't really need wax (protests from purists not withstanding), but you'll like the result of a good hot wax job. Ironed-in wax is great. Hot box wax is greater. Roller hot wax gives a mediocre job.

As said above, get the binding length adjustment and release setting checked with your boot in the binding (which is the only way they'll do it).

A small REI shop did a shoddy job for me. It all depends on who is working that day and how well they are trained. This REI shop was flummoxed when I only brought in one boot. They want both boots and put R & L stickers on the skis like was done 35 years ago before the DIN/ISO 5355 standards were promulgated. Sheesh. R & L stickers are only needed if the right & left skis are differently tuned at the request of the skier, or if the skier has greatly different sized feet and needs different sized boots (queue a Dale boots ad--and who else makes custom or semi-custom boots?...Dodge, Strolz, and...).

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
R & L stickers are only needed if the right & left skis are differently tuned at the request of the skier, or if the skier has greatly different sized feet and needs different sized boots
Or if the skis are Elan Amphibio IIRC.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I was going to say essentially what Phil said: Drop them off for an overnight quickie in the Tahoe area.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you don't mind spending money do the bindings, full tune, and hot box.

Otherwise, just get the bindings done. When the skis slow down or start to lose their edge (usually 3 to 5 days on hard snow), get the tune done.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

You can go with any of the shops around the gondola since until we get more snow; that's where you will be loading up; and they will do overnight tune.

Tahoe Powderhouse is the big chain in SLT, has multiple shops right at the gondola: gondola shop, their demo shop; as well as their main shop across the street, depending on if walking across the street is a hassle.

You mean you want a binding check. That is something they can do while you wait and they should have the tester machine at all their locations, but they will need your boot. A lot of that depends if the tech is out to lunch or available. Since they have 3 stores right at the gondola, likely there will be someone at one of those stores that can do the binding test for you.

For real tuning, you can of course talk it over with them and they can help look over your skis and tell you what you need. You will need to know what angle you want to put on if you really want to redo the angles with a full tune, or if you want to restructure your base or anything like that.

I don't think they do the actual tuning at the gondola stores they van them over and van them back; so if you really want to talk it over with the techs doing the actual tune work, versus the tech working at the store; ask them who's open and I believe the real tune centers are over Rainbow Mountain (on ski run) or the Shop on pioneer. (I typically patronize the Rainbow Mountain store). The guys writing the tickets still are good enough to advise you on normal tune work; But if you have a super specific question like do you have the jig to mount an salomon sth2, or i need 4 helicoils and a redrill or something; the gondola guys might not know as well as the tech who's right at the tune shop. I think they have a $5 or $10 off coupon on their site off services if you print it out.

You can also go over to the tahoe sports ltd, which has a full service ski repair just at the end of the village at the Raleys strip mall, but they sometimes are a bit more expensive and gruff.

There's another ski/board shop also at the gondola but I haven't checked them out.

Finally you can also go with whatever the Vail Resorts owned official heavenly sports shop. Assuming you have a epicpass, potentailly you get a discount on the tuning, or a cheapo wax is good enough to get you started.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Depending on how many days is your trip I would say
you get bindings checked and slap on a quick (and cheap) wax for day1.

Then before your last day you bring it in for whatever tuning you think you may need after trying out your skis. This also helps clean up whatever you dinged up in your 2 or 3 days of skiing.