• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
soulskier

soulskier

Putting on skis
Skier
You should do it. Suck the soul back in :huh:

Funny you mention that.

I briefly considered a Bernie Sanders type of run at it until I learned that they are finding a President through a selection committee. There is no way the establishment would ever welcome me into their inner circle, much less lead it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well,......that was fast.
Some thoughts go through my mind about it, including(but not exclusive to)
  • How much will it take to breathe the soul back into it?
  • What kind if leader will they need to move forward?

TS
soulskier

soulskier

Putting on skis
Skier
Well,......that was fast.
Some thoughts go through my mind about it, including(but not exclusive to)
  • How much will it take to breathe the soul back into it?
  • What kind if leader will they need to move forward?

Those are great questions Tricia.

First off, it is important to point out that NSAA's membership fees are based on ski resort revenue. That means that the bigger resorts pay more in membership fees and thus NSAA focuses on their needs and wants the most. In fact, many smaller "soulful" ski areas are not NSAA members because they can't afford the fees, nor see any value in being a member.

At the annual NSAA convention a few years ago in Palm Springs, I was sitting in a session that recaps the end-of-season Kottke Study. The presenter said that the average daily window lift ticket was $97 (it was $114 this year). After the presentation, he asked if there were any questions from the audience. I raised my hand and asked if anyone else in the room who was concerned with such a high lift ticket price. No one said a word and a few people actually gave me stink eye for having the nerve to ask that question.

So in response to point #1, I think the model is broken because the NSAA "represents ski area owners and operators while working to stimulate growth in the industry". That isn't exactly in line with making skiing soulful. That said, I believe there are numerous community ski areas that would benefit from a membership type of ownership. If more ski areas were owned by their user group, instead of private equity firms, publicly traded companies and wealthy individuals whose main priority is turning a profit, that would greatly help breathe some soul back into our spot.

I would love to see a female and/or minority lead the NSAA. Also it would be ideal if the new leader made inclusivity and mitigating Climate Change top priorities. With all due respect to Michael Berry (who according to last year's 990 form was compensated a whopping $369,000), he is a 60 something year old white guy who has been at the helm more than 20 years.

Last edited:

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
"If more ski areas were owned by their user group, instead of private equity firms, publicly traded companies and wealthy individuals whose main priority is turning a profit, that would greatly help breathe some soul back into our spot."

There are over 400 ski areas in the US today. That means there are plenty of resorts - the vast majority - that can have "a membership type of ownership" as you propose. As to why that is not the case, I am not sure, but it seems to have little to do with private equity firms.

There are sayings like charge what the market will bare, or that supply and demand dictates pricing, or the market will tell you the price. Everyone has a right to make a profit on their investments, be it a PE firm, a publicly listed company or a private individual.

Ski resorts are selling for millions and millions requiring very deep pockets. In many cases the capital expenditures and maintenance (including real estate taxes) are astronomical and make owning a ski resort even more challenging. That is before dealing with increasingly unpredictable weather conditions. Skiers across just about every demographic, ability level, price point...want bigger and better and more abundant amenities / comforts / features.

So it comes as no surprise that publicly traded companies like Vail Resorts and Peak Resorts or wealthy families like the Crown family or investment firms like private equity company Och-Ziff and real estate investments trust KSL Capital are some of the more common players in the recent consolidation taking place around the industry. They have the financial means and operational leverage to acquire the resorts, invest in them and make a profit.

I appreciate your comments around the 'soul' of a resort and I guess the lack of personality/character that often comes with a resort being owned by "large owner". I too tend to prefer resorts with "personality".

Ski resorts remind me of the situation we are facing with colleges/universities. Everyone seems to want D-1 sports teams, campus-wide wifi, organic food offerings, dual-climate zones in dorm rooms, renowned professors, spin and yoga studios, Segways to get around campus...so tuition fees are now regularly surpassing $50,000 and in many cases well over $60,000.

Last edited:
TS
soulskier

soulskier

Putting on skis
Skier
"If more ski areas were owned by their user group, instead of private equity firms, publicly traded companies and wealthy individuals whose main priority is turning a profit, that would greatly help breathe some soul back into our spot."

There are over 400 ski areas in the US today. That means there are plenty of resorts - the vast majority - that can have "a membership type of ownership" as you propose. As to why that is not the case, I am not sure, but it seems to have little to do with private equity firms.

Adding to the intrigue, the type of ski areas that would benefit from a membership type of ownership are the kind of ski resorts that a private equity firm would be interested in owning. My organization has developed a scalable membership ownership model that is ready to be tested. It has been vetted by several ski industry veterans, we just need to find a willing owner ready to be the guinea pig.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
:popcorn: Interesting window into the business side. Thank you. A little out of my paradigm but I can only hope that there is an attempt to reach out to local ski clubs and incorporate their ideas to address #2 (Grow Participation). Also possibly reaching out to the NBS ( http://www.nbs.org/clubs/ ) and their strong national presence to include multi-racial ideas in determining a future format for growth in that relatively untapped market. They are a relatively small, but enthusiastic group of dedicated skiers and people dedicated to the pursuit of sports........ okay maybe not so small.......... I remember we invaded Park City w/ a group of around 6000, and that was in the early 90's! I'm not sure of the current numbers but their Summit's are Huge.

Sponsor