• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New 30 m ski - an edge to?

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pintu, Hirscher, Kristofersson ... Is there anyone who will benefit more then others initially? Speculation please.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
On first ball I would say noone, but then again, there will be some, who will adapt their technique better/faster then others. And those will benefit quite a bit, at least on start. Thing is, skis do ski differently and they will need to change the way they ski. Personally I don't think it's physical thing, so few cm or few kg more or less won't really play the role here, but ability to adapt to new technique, and ability to find new/fast technique will be the key. Especially on beginning when there won't be anyone to copy this from. In year it's going to be easy, as you can check how fastest guys are skiing, and you sort of copy that, but on beginning each of the guys and their coaches will have to figure this out themself. So I somehow think we can expect another good year for Ligety ;)

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ligety seems to be a meticolous guy. Perhaps he will be the first one to figure it out [again]. One would think these skis wouldn't have to be muscled as viciously into radie as the previous ones. In theory at least. Haven't seen anyone ski them yet.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is interested that the speed at which the technology (equipment) chasing technique and technique chasing technology is still increasing in skiing at this point. I would have thought it has run its course (no pun intended) in the last while considering how many changes have been made.

It is not that there are major changes technique wise, but more so adaptation to rapid refinement of technique as the technology is refine in response to the improvements.

IMHO some technique changes are stop gap improvements in the sense that they work but aren't really the best, this is confirmed by no real technology changes to play catch up. The technology changes only occur when a real improvement is made. Same applies in reverse. Best example of eveolution theory.

I'll be watching to see what those (respected) in the loop have to say in regards to the changes.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@ScotsSkier I can't tell in general or average, as I have been only on Rossi 30m skis but at least for Rossi, there's no comparison to women skis. Dimensions might be similar, but that's pretty much it as far as comparison goes. Last few years (first year and especially preproduction skis were simply horrible to ski) I had no problems with 35m skis, especially for free skiing, but I have to say, I actually like new 30m skis better. But I'm not a factor so let's wait and see how real guys will do on them. But with whoever I have been talking,they like them better, so we might actually see some cool (better looking) racing next season. :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Will the "old" 35M skis not be legal now? If so, was there any consideration given to the racers who actaully have to pay for their gear out of their pockets, like the junior or college skiers that are required to be on a FIS ski?

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I think the FIS equipment rules only specify minimum lengths and radii... I could be wrong, though.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Old 35m skis might be illegal. Next to length and radius there's also minimum (or is it max?) width under feet and on tip of ski. So these things might not be inside of the rule for old 35m skis. If they are, they will be legal, as FIS dictates only minimum radius and length and not max. Before change to 35m, when rule was 27m, most of WC was on 29 to 31m skis. But I doubt you will be competitive now on 30m set course with 35m skis.
As far as women skis goes, I think they fit inside of the rule on all demands, so you can use them. But again, I doubt you will be competitive with them ;)
PS: One edit... women skis are legal on lower ranked races... for WC, EC, Noram, you need to have 193cm not 193cm -5cm.

Last edited:

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
So for rules, the 35m skis are still viable if the racer so chooses. The rule is that it has to be greater than 30m. Although, the setting style will change to accomodate for the change in radii. It isn't clearly determined but the offset might be greater and tighter as well. This would severely hinder the 35m viability but I imagine there are some that would still ski on it because of financial reasons outside the top circuits.

Pretty sure the WC level requires 193cm or more but for general FIS races, 188 is accepted. As you get higher in level the restriction gets tighter. This is good for regional racers... woohoo! Finally something that is a step forward!

As for how they feel, I did some testing in course on 193 Blizzard, 193 Hart, and 193 Atomic. They all have their own characteristics as makers do, but they largely take a lot of tech from the womens counterpart and put a bit more beef inside. I found the Blizzard to be a bit lighter and easier at the top of the turns whereas the Atomics were just so solid under foot at the apex. Harts were neutral and very similar to their womens counterpart in stiffness.

I'm just happy for the future. Hopefully this keeps more younger athletes staying in the sport and filling out a longer career (however far you want to go).

PS - These are all views on the rules that Japan will adopt and testing by an amateur.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@ScotsSkier I can't tell in general or average, as I have been only on Rossi 30m skis but at least for Rossi, there's no comparison to women skis. Dimensions might be similar, but that's pretty much it as far as comparison goes. Last few years (first year and especially preproduction skis were simply horrible to ski) I had no problems with 35m skis, especially for free skiing, but I have to say, I actually like new 30m skis better. But I'm not a factor so let's wait and see how real guys will do on them. But with whoever I have been talking,they like them better, so we might actually see some cool (better looking) racing next season. :)

Thanks primoz. I haven't been on the new men's 30m yet but your early impressions are pretty much what I expected. I have been freeskiing on the 35m quite a bit lately and actually they are surprisingly useable. But in gates I have been on the 30 m ski for 3 seasons now and it seems to be pretty close to an optimal radius for a real GS course so will be interesting to try the new men's version ( although as an old guy I'm sticking with the women's version! )

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Will the "old" 35M skis not be legal now? If so, was there any consideration given to the racers who actaully have to pay for their gear out of their pockets, like the junior or college skiers that are required to be on a FIS ski?

They should still be legal Phil but anyone using them is putting themselves at a disadvantage because at that level sets will reflect the new equipment. And yes, there are going to be a LOT of 35m skis being dumped which are basically worthless now. Those worst impacted are those who were first year U19 Fis this year and had to be on the 35 m ski.

I have actually been playing about a lot on the 35 m Rossi and head recently and beeed to get some short tests posted...... since there will be some bargains in 35 m skis

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Old 35m skis might be illegal. Next to length and radius there's also minimum (or is it max?) width under feet and on tip of ski. So these things might not be inside of the rule for old 35m skis. If they are, they will be legal, as FIS dictates only minimum radius and length and not max. Before change to 35m, when rule was 27m, most of WC was on 29 to 31m skis. But I doubt you will be competitive now on 30m set course with 35m skis.
As far as women skis goes, I think they fit inside of the rule on all demands, so you can use them. But again, I doubt you will be competitive with them ;)
PS: One edit... women skis are legal on lower ranked races... for WC, EC, Noram, you need to have 193cm not 193cm -5cm.

Thanks, I doubt I would be competitive on them either!

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yep, I've seen a few 35 m skis on our sales forum. No one wants them as they won't be competitive next season (still legal though if the length requirements doesn't change with the 30m r). And for free skiing, very limited use as you seldom (at least here) have the opportunity to ski them safely. You pretty much need an empty piste.

Moses

Booting up
Skier
They're selling as U16 SG skis. And they're becoming skateboards

BT4kJQPDpTL

Sponsor