• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Nagano & Niigata, Japan

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Never done a TR. Will give it a try. Arrived in Hakuba today. Shinkansen and bus were on schedule (it's Japan) Will ski here, Myoko-kogen and Shiga-kogen before getting back to meetings in Tokyo next week.

Valley snow pack is lower than I expected given how early the snowfall started this season. Apparently, there were some warm days and even rain.

The plan is some off-piste tomorrow, BC Friday, then BC and on-piste at Myoko this weekend, then meeting up with a friend at Shiga. I'm going to try my hand at snow forecasting using what I learned from @Jellybeans1000's snow forecast threads. Info source,

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cg...area=gfs_wpac&prod=prp&dtg=2018013100&set=All

Boot bag arrived via Fedex. Last year, it got held up at customs. This year, I declared no value, giving up extra insurance over and above Fedex's default; no customs delay.

Checked in with my guide, who advised that 540 hPa, on the weather map is about 32F here. Anyway, all good to go. Picked up my skis and brought them to the shop for waxing.

For those that are wondering what it's like to dine in Japan, I'll keep track of that. There's a new Thai restaurant in Happo Village, where I am staying. Dinner was coconut chicken soup and chicken green curry with rice. It's was ok. I usually stick with Japanese food when in Japan. I will henceforth.

Couldn't stay awake and fell asleep at about (7?). And here I am at 1:20 AM. Anyway, gotta try to sleep, gotta be up at 6:15 latest.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
here is the weather map zoomed in

wp_ss_20180201_0002 (2).png

Pressure will be about 528, so below freezing (540). Prevailing weather is westerly, so we'll see what happens to that moisture to our Southwest

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Day 2, first day of skiing.

Hasn't snowed here in 3 days. Still some softies on the northern aspect in the trees. Plenty of untracked closer to the trees or between tighter trees. And, on account of our guide's knowledge, untracked powder at Hakuba Cortina, if one is willing to do a hike on a cat track, then boot pack back up. All in all, a great warm up day.

Breakfast at the ryokan, choice of two.

WP_20180201_06_43_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20180201_06_48_03_Pro.jpg

The choice of fish, the Western part of the breakfast hasn't been served yet. Where I stay, they can't decide whether to serve their guests a Western or Japanese breakfast. To be safe, one gets both. My favorite part is the rice, on which I can sprinkle a seaweed, sesame seed, dried wasabi condiment,

WP_20180201_06_49_47_Pro.jpg

Lunch at the resort's hotel:
Pork curry over rice, and green tea.

Cost of Lift Ticket:
3200 yen, about $29, since I get the senior rate for being, wait for it, over 50 years old.

WP_20180201_08_44_33_Pro.jpg

Not there yet? It's 4000 yen, about $36.

Weather:
Per the hPa and precip map-forecast, no precipitation until Sunday 06:00 (I noticed this is GMT, so 15:00 Japan.). At that time, a system comes in. hPa below 528, so cold, so it will be snow.

wp_ss_20180201_0001.png

It lasts until Tuesday 15:00

wp_ss_20180201_0002.png

On Wednesday, it has broken up, and a piece travels up the northern coast,

wp_ss_20180201_0003.png

And, here, for me, is the ah-ha moment. Click, light! I can see where snow events are moving! I don't have to go to weather reports for 5, 10 different resorts along the coast to see who is forecasted to have snow! I see the snow forecast, then I plan on the possibility of going to those areas. Wow! So, that's how powderhounds do it, right?

Last edited:
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Day 3

Prologue:
Dinner last night, a Thursday, three restaurants that locals like were all closed. One is a restaurant that serves yakitori, another serves various fare, including soups, made from mountain vegetables and mushrooms, and the third serves unajyu (eel), horse, and carp dishes. Thursdays is their day off I guess. So, it was to be a restaurant that caters to tourists and foreigners, Tex Mex! Mexican Steak. The good news is that Japanese take foreign fare seriously. So, the guacamole and chips were quite good, and the rib eye steak was exactly medium rare as I requested.

SKIING:
Skiing today was simply amazing. Went to a little resort south of Happo-one named Kashimayari.. Took lifts to the top. Did a couple laps skiing and skinning west and north facing slopes being the resort. Returning to the ridge, went along that and finished the day with an incredible 600 m ride down to the road where our guide left a van earlier in the morning.

Kashimayari is a little resort that locals frequent. No English signs anywhere, not at the ticket booth, not at the lodge, not at the lifts. Cost was 1000 yen per ride up a lift. We took two lifts, 2000 yen. From there, we skinned up to the top of the resort, as that last lift is open only on weekends. Then up to the ridge. Back there we skied untouched powder on western and northern aspects below tree line. Light powder, beautifully spaced trees. The one other client lost a ski at the top of the first run, first turn, and I mean lost it! The powder was so light, the brakes didn't stop the ski. It went ALL the way to the bottom, passing our guide, who chased it to the gulley. OMG, all that powder, and one has to pick one's way down on one ski. He did a commendable job.

sidebar: A word about ski patrol. We saw this enormous rabbit. I mean, think Alice in Wonderland. Ok, not that big, but BIG. And it doesn't sink in the powder; it hops along the surface. Yesterday, doing off piste in Hakuba Cortina, we see two kamushka's, big and fast. That's three wildlife sightings in two days. In the five years I've been coming to Hakuba, I saw a ski patroller, on-snow, for the first time this morning. He skied towards the lodge, then disappeared. A VERY rare sighting; I was thrilled. In fact, when I saw the red jacket, I wondered in anticipation, then saw white on the back of his jacket, then I waited to discern what that was, then I saw a small white +. Woah, a ski patroller! Didn't get a photo.

Ok, back to the backcountry. So, we did a couple shorter skiing laps and return to the ridge and along it for a 600 m ride down a north aspect to the road. Before starting down, we snack and hydrate again. While we are doing that, our guide decides to dig a quick pit. Of course, I forget the refreshments and go to watch.

sidebar: On the drive to the resort, we had a lively discussion about avalanche conditions. Mid-Jan, there was rain, and it froze. Snow has fallen on it since. A weak layer has developed, and natural slides have been observed above tree line on south-east facing slopes at 1800-2000 m (that's the lee side), happening as the day warms up. A skier was killed on such a slope a couple weeks ago. We will be below tree line and we will be on western and northern aspects, good.

So, a pit is dug. 60 cm down, by finger test, a really weak layer, a thick layer. Very easy penetration; just crumbles; the rain crust.. About 90 down, a thin weak layer. Temperature gradient, 0.8C between snow above and below the rain crust. Under the loop, very angular facets. Column test, the layer shifts at 23 taps, nice. Sheared by shovel, irregular surface, nice. But, a storm is coming, it is weak, it will get loaded, something to think about. That thin weak layer, smooth planar shear when sheared by shovel. Another thing to think about. Anyway, nice exercise. At the end of day meeting, all guides will share their observations and it goes into their knowledgebase for this season.

That last ride down to the road? Another incredible run in untouched powder through the trees. As we get further down, gotta stay right of what becomes a relatively deep gulley. But, where we ought to cross, it looks so good on the left... On account of steepness, boot packing back up is easier than skinning. We're back on track to the road on, now mellower terrain.

At the road, we are confronted by a man. He and a partner are parked at the side of the road. We don't understand a word, including our guide. But it is quite clear that we should not have skied down that last meadow. He picks up a twig and snaps it, then points up. Apparently, we skied through an area in which they are trying to protect the growth. Oops. Much apologies are conveyed as best we can. We get off the land and ski down to our van on, luckily, a snow covered road.

Oh, at the top of the ridge, I have snapped my carbon pole, tapping my boot out of habit. Just got it this summer from LEKI, as a replacement for a pole that shattered longitudinally. Very annoying with one end flopping around. When I take a stupid fall, unrelated to the pole, our guide insists ok trading poles. He won't take no for an answer. He helps me get a guide's discount at a local shop, insisting I forgo the carbon option. Having suffered two failures in two years, of this pole, I can't argue. New ones are aluminum, still collapsible, still will fit inside the boot compartments of my boot bag.

BRIEFING for Tomorrow:
The objective is Myoko, about an hour and a half drive away, with a different guide. We go over the forecast. Woah! RESOURCE ALERT! A Japanese forecast map. ,

http://weather-gpv.info/

Unless you read Japanese, you won't be able to navigate to the correct link. At the top of the left-hand side menu, note the three rows with two characters separated from two other characters by a dot. Click the first one, and voila! A map that predicts precipitation the next two days.

No snow tonight at Myoko. No compelling reason to go; it's been getting less snow this season than Hakuba and Shiga Kogen. So, maybe Shiga tomorrow. We'll decide tomorrow. In the morning, on the drive, we'll check in with my friend at Shiga, who the guide knows.

So early rise tomorrow. Gotta pack up, as I will be staying in Myoko the next two nights; the guide will drop me off there at end of day. But, dinner first.

Those restaurants are open! Oh no! The first that I go to has a lonnng line outside. Foreigners. What the heck? I look at the menu. Sushi, tempura, chicken teriyaki, breaded pork cutlet, what the heck?! Turns out, I found out later from the ryokan proprietor, they now have a summer menu and winter menu. The winter menu caters to the foreign tourists, of which I agree there are more and more each year. And, the innkeeper is shocked at the price for that kind of food. So, tonight, it's unajyu (eel on rice), supplemented by a side of mushrooms, mountain vegetables, and a miso soup made with carp. Yummy!

Observation. These little Japanese restaurants, they're not fine tuned to make the most of the tourist trade. I enter; it's full; it's just me though The waitress asks a guest if he would share his table, no problem, great job by the waitress. But, one after another, tourists come in. "full, no table", tourist turns around. Another group comes in. "how long is the wait"? "30 minutes". They leave. Another group of 6, they leave. And, yet another group, same thing. But,,15 minutes after she said it was a 30 minute wait, four tables are empty, one which is occupied by two tourists quickly. 15 minutes later,, about, one local occupies another table. Then, I leave and there are three tables open again. Tourists have a certain time they go to dinner. There is no heavy stream after 7:30. The restaurant has lost perhaps 14 patrons and the night is winding down,,at least for the tourist crowd. What a shame; such good food, such lost opportunity for the tourists. As I walk out, two tourists peer in, Aussies. They are having a hard time reading the menu placed outside. It's dark, and the menu is not lit up! I tell them it's great; I love the eel. "Frankly, I'm not into eel". In tell them that another specialty here is horse meat. In they go. :) I am quite pleased.

Back to the ryokan. Order my breakfast box and lunch box to take in the morning. Check out, as Im leaving early, being picked up by the guide. Get some laundry started. Then, I book the room for next year, for me and my buddy, who had to cancel a few months ago for this year. Yup, when it got to the point that, in early September 2016, that dates were already fully booked, it was time to adjust to a book-upon-departure policy.

The ryokan, and Hakuba in general, is being frequented by more and more foreign tourists. Aussies of course. A few Americans. But, last couple years, a lot of Swedes and Canadians. In the off piste tour yesterday, Aussies, Brit, Dane, Singaporeans, Malaysian. I see more tourists from China, actually quite a lot. Slopeside condos that went on sale last January, two bedrooms for about $1MM, sold quickly. More and more foreign owned inns and hotels, restaurants, and bars. A well established Aussie owned ski shop, moved to larger digs.

I love Hakuba. That's why I'm here the fifth year in a row. But, I'm glad I am checking out Myoko and Shiga Kogen in the coming days.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Day 4

The choice is Myoko, specifically Akakura Kanko, and a skin up to Maeyama for a better view of the crater, then ski down a BC route back to the road. The guide is none other than Bill Glude, avalanche expert and consultant from Alaska. There was no point in going to Shiga, as neither had fresh snow overnight. Starting point is Hakuba, departing at 6:15 for an 1-1/2 hour drive. End point for me is an inn at Myoko; Bill returns to Hakuba. This is a private guided tour. This is my third season BC'ing, and I don't get a lot of days doing it, so much experience to be developed. I've done AST-2 two seasons ago and, aside from tours as part of -1 and -2, I only have four BC tours under my belt. Much was learned this day: Nourishment; Eye protection from the sun and reflected light; Skin track etiquette; Slippery snow (not ice); Proper process for transitioning to ski mode; safe harnessed descent; glide cracks; route selection as a function of avy hazard and as a function of the condition of members the group (Bill to me). It was all first-hand experience, not Bill instructing me. Then, finally, much was learned from Bill's stories and explanations.

THE PLAN:
The morning began with a 6:15 departure, with breakfast and lunch boxes provided by the Ryokan. I'm packed and checked out because Bill will drop me off at an inn in Myoko at the end of the day. First issue that would affect the day, the breakfast box wasn't that appetizing; I didn't feel that hungry; I ate only half of it, including only half of the rice. Don't even remember what was in the breakfast box. Hour and a half later, we are at Akakura and Bill goes over some topo maps with me. We discuss what has been happening with regard to weather and what the weather will be like, all very mild both recent days and this day. We will take the gondola and chair lift up to the tope of Akakura Kanko, skin to the top of Maeyama, have a look at the crater and the other views, ski a BC route back to the road descending a less steep route, scope out the steeper route as we exit, and may go up again and do the steeper route. So, since we might do another lap, we buy a day-pass. With a discount coupon, applied to the senior rate, the cost is 3600 yen, about $32.50, including a lunch ticket !! Up we go.

THE SKIN UP:
At the top, we transition and begin skinning. It hasn't snowed in, what, 5-6 days now. The slope going up to Maeyama is well travelled, well tracked by skiers, split boarders, snowshoers, and boot packers. The way up is tough on account of that. Strong boot packers have gone pretty much straight up; less strong boot packers have walked up the gentler skin tracks. So, we have three choices. Skin up more moderate-grade skin tracks that have boot pack tracks and, hence, have less traction, go up steeper skin tracks, make our own (ahem, Bill makes) our own track. Our way up is a mix of all three choices all frustrating. The moderate tracks have less traction on account of the boot pack tracks. The steeper tracks, I have trouble with turning at the switchbacks, which are steep, packed down and slick, particularly right turns as I am still suffering from soft-tissue injury at my left hip. I simply cannot coordinate my kick and rotation. As for making new tracks, they invariably take us into shrubs or a tree. So, we cross the bowl and try the other less-travelled ridge. The soft snow keeps slipping out from under us; we traverse back to the other side. Lesson learned. Do not boot pack on skinning tracks.

So, for me, the way up is a grind, and my consuming only half of the breakfast box takes a toll. I suffer from low energy and hunger and have to stop. I have some of my lunch. The lunch box looks much more appetizing than the breakfast box :). Upon resuming the ascent, the freshly consumed food is taking a toll as well. I am sluggish, I am slow, I am digesting. Then, on top of that, I start getting a headache from the bright light. When I close my eyes, it subsides. I am wearing sunglasses that are not wrap-around. I do not have a cap with a brim. Have to stop again. Bill jury rigs side-shields with duct tape. Yup he's got duct tape, a little roll wrapped around his pole, for use in whatever occasion. I think of Matt Damon and the movie Mars, in which, stranded on Mars, duct tape solves the knottiest problems. And, he hands me his cap, showing me that his sunglasses provide sufficient eye protection. That solves the headache problem. But, now I am feeling chilled, perhaps because I am still digesting; or because the headache has been taking a toll; or all of the above and more. I don my shell; I am good now. Lessons learned: 1. Consume proper nourishment, regardless of how unappetizing the food is, regardless of whether or not one feels hungry. 2. Use sun glasses with side-shield, or use wrap-arounds, and use a brimmed cap.

A group catches up to us. A husband and wife from Alaska, as Bill is. Pretty much up the rest of the way, it is a lively chat about Alaska, as they stop once and a while to wait for me to catch up before heading off again. Feels like skiing with my teenage daughter. Anyway, we get to the top. View? What view? The weather has changed. Every view, including down in the crater is now obscured by cloud and fog. :( No problem, it happens. The visibility is perfectly fine for skiing, our primary objective. Time to transition.

THE ADVENTURE:
As I am transitioning, I lose a ski. As mentioned above, I have little experience BC'ing. I have less experience with pin bindings; I have Kingpins here. When I did the AST classes, I rented skies with frame bindings and used my alpine boots. Back home, I have frame bindings and use my alpine boots. So, here I am taking my skins off at the edge of a crater, without having set the bindings to ski-mode. Consequence? The brakes are not down. Consequence, when I set my ski down and start folding my skins, "Runaway ski!" some one calls out. I look up. It's the husband from Alaska and he's pointing at the edge of the crater. Mikkel having lost a ski in Day 3, I am wondering, how can anyone lose a ski now. No one is skiing; there isn't any loose snow; a brake should work. I look at Bill and he says to me, in a very matter of fact way, "Gee, Karl, I don't think we will be able to retrieve that." I look down, and my ski is gone! OMG, it's my ski! Bill and I inch our way to the edge and look down. No ski. And, we aren't going to inch any closer to get a better look. I am resolved. I will have to ski down back to the top of the resort on one ski. No problem. Easy. The way down, the powder is not so deep, it's not very steep, sparse shrubs and trees. Easy compared to what Mikkel had to do the previous day, skiing down on one ski in mid-calf powder, on steeper terrain, through trees. Then, as the other group skis away along the ridge, the husband from Alaska calls out. The ski is just below the edge.

This is terrific news! A big loud Thank You! The day is saved! But is it? Bill and I can't see it. We walk up a bit and look in side-wise. There it is, lodged tip down amongst some trees and shrubs, trees and shrubs that are growing, not upwards, but sideways. Well, maybe at a 30 degree angle from horizontal. I.e., steep, with a nice convexity above, at the edge. Maybe I have to ski down on one ski after all. Then, Bill says he'll go down and get it. I tell him, no way. If anyone was going to do that, it would be me. He relents and says, if I am going to do it, he wants me harnessed. He has a harness? And, rope? Yup, he has a harness, a 20 meter rope, the whole set up. BTW, in November, I took an ice climbing course, I am all set and stoked. This will be so, so easy. It's not ice. It's not a cliff. I have shrubs and small trees to hold onto along the way. Piece of cake.

I am harnessed. The setup is just like we did in ice climbing, except that Bill is using some knot, whose name I don't recall, to do the belay. Will have to learn that one later. Down I go, feet first, facing the hill. Easy! We have chosen a descent that is not so steep, then I will traverse across to the ski, with shrubs and small trees to grab along the way. I descend to a level at which I am still above the ski, allowing for some descent as I traverse and I begin the traverse. Bill and the line have me and I am feeling pretty good, then, the snow under my left foot, as I make the step, falls out from under me. My right foot still has footing, but boy am I glad that line is there helping to hold me. I look down into a hole and I cannot see the bottom. From the terrain, I know it isn't some 50-foot (sorry, going back to British, no American, units) cliff. But, it is so dark down there, I don't see the bottom. I kick some snow in. I still don't see the bottom. I kick more in, thinking I'll fill the hole. No way. In the meantime, I've called up to Bill to let him know what happened, and he says, "It's a glide crack. Thought they'd be there" They? There are more? But, I'm not at the ski yet; I am now more apprehensive. With the assistance of the line, I make my way across the crack. Sure enough, there are more cracks. But, I make my way to the ski with 2 meters of line remaining.

Ski in hand, I now make my way back. Planting the ski above me and using it as a hand-hold makes it much easier. I figure out that planting it not so high, such that my upper arm is pointed down is way easier than if I plant it such that my arm is outstretched. Anyway, I gradually make my way back to Bill and the tree that I am tied off to. I hand Bill my end of the line. He disassembles the setup and packs it. We hike up to shallower slope to where our skis are (to where his skis are and to where my other ski is). I remove the harness; he packs that; I set my ski into ski-mode and place it on the snow. We complete our transition! Piece of cake :) Oh, and Bill, having called in the situation, calls in with an update. I ask him how this will go down. A training exercise, right? He helping me practice the skills I learned in ice climbing; and he is logging training time. :) Lesson learned: Put the skis in ski-mode before removing skins. And, I am going to that even when using frame bindings, to make a force of habit.

THE CHANGE OF PLANS:

In our skis, I am ready to continue. But, Bill has a change of plans. We're going to descend down the ridge, but then ski to the bowl to the right of it and end up at the top of the resort. We are not going to take the route down to the road. Why not? Bill's answer is that, his rule, if three things go wrong, he backs off from the plan. OK, but I'm thinking, only one thing went wrong, loss of my ski, and we now have it. I am good to go. I'm going through it like counting change. I get three, but I only count one. Then, I think again. My getting hungry, having consumed half my breakfast. My lunch partially consumed already. My headache. He doesn't know how I ski. It's adding up in his mind as being too risky to venture further. I'm good, and the descent is a learning experience anyway. Lesson learned: Be sensitive to the condition of all members of the group. Be conservative in decisions about length and difficulty of route. Be willing to back off from the plan if it is not very clear that the plan can be accomplished.

Bill isn't familiar with the route back to the resort. Folks don't skin and hike up to Maeyama to do that route. He shares with me that he is keeping an eye on a ridge to our right and a gulley to our left. Clearly, others have skied into the gulley. It is a terrain trap. Those educated know it. Yet, those educated can still make the more conservative decision or the less conservative decision. Bill is conservative. Yes, we can descend, but we need to keep sight of the ridgeline and clearly see a traverse to it. So, we do a few zig-zags, down towards the gulley, traverse towards the ridge line. At one point, he decides we go to the ridge and continue down that. It was all good. Mellow terrain, but lots of powder, since it is the less travelled route, fun. We end up in the woods at the top of the resort, at the resort boundary signs. We continue down the woods, avoiding the mogul run, and end up at the mid-mountain restaurant with 10 minutes to spare, before they close at 2:30, to use our lunch coupons. Lesson learned: Be conservative about terrain choices and route choices. Don't go just because others have. Make one's own decisions based on a conscious decision on what risk is acceptable; understand what the risks are. Keep close sight on what the exit routes are, to be sure they remain achievable. As we zig-zagged, Bill was watching the ridgeline like a hawk.

DEBRIEF AND REVIEW:
A warm lunch was most welcome. We spent time going over the topo map, reviewing what we did, what we did not do. We look at the gulley we were avoiding and the ridgeline we were keeping an eye on. We reviewed what the Alaskan couple likely did based on where they went with their group, a nice long ridgeline run to the road on a southern aspect. Bill wants to check that out on a powder day. He also points out another area whose bottom can be accessed by a road; looks like a big apron above which is a slope that gradually gets steeper, but no cliffs. He wants to check that out too. We also continue, as we did during our drive to Myoko and our ride up the lifts, talk about Bill's work and experiences.

THE BILL:
Bill is an industrial-scale avalanche consultant. His is engaged by utilities for power plants and transmission lines, by train companies, by mining companies. He helps to plan site locations and routes to minimize avalanche hazards and to plan and select avy mitigation systems. (look up exploders. they are not howitzers, nor hand-held explosive devices, nor line-dropped explosives.) He develops operational plans and trains teams to run them. He is in the business of protecting serious assets, not skiers and riders. Another little tidbit is that he prefers women on his teams. They make better decisions. They see and consider things men might not. That said, women can be tough to work with too. They can hard-headed and look down on men and not appreciate what they can contribute. Asked what that was, I didn't get a clear answer. Something about working as teams to get our of situations, helping each other. I got the feeling that he was thinking the situations shouldn't have been gotten into in the first place. Anyway, he very much appreciates having a woman on his teams.

THE IMPERFECT DAY:
It was a long day, but not by hours. We got to the Akakura Kanko parking lot at 8:45. We started our skinning at about 9:15. We made it up Maeyama, taking longer than expected, partly because of the poor up-conditions, but mostly on account of my being a slow climber. We had to retrieve a ski (ok, ok, I lost a ski). It was 2:30 by the time we got to a mid-resort restaurant, very early, not a dawn-to-dusk day. But, if a day is measured is learned, it was a long day, having learned far more than I would have on a perfect day. It was a perfect imperfect day.

DINNER:
Have to include this. I am staying at a Western owned and operated lodge. Not something I would ordinarily choose, but given the late-date decision to explore Myoko, and with so many online choices fully booked, I grabbed Bill's recommendation. A room first night, a dorm room second night, then departure. Normally, I would walk and explore the village and see what restaurants there are. Not today. Dinner is at the lodge. Roasted chicken. Roasted potatoes, and all sorts of Japanese yams. And, a vegetable that looked like bok-choy.

Thoughts for the next day, Sunday? Maybe a day off. I've got powder touring skis, no guide, resorts that are all packed powder (no powder) and bumped up. But, the real reason for a day off is, I am tired. And, it is forecasted to snow Sunday night.

SNOW FORECAST:

Speaking of snow forecasting, I like the aforementioned map at the Japanese weather-gpv.info, which Bill had referred me to the night before, far better than the map from the US Navy website. Selecting the right map, the resolution is far more detailed. One can clearly see the predicted precipitation by ski region - Hakuba, Myoko, Shiga...

Here is a screenshot of the Japanese map, for tonight, Sunday night, at 20:00,

GPV Weather Map of Nagano and Niigata.jpg

Here is the Google Map with Hakuba, Akakura Myoko, and Shiga Yokoteyama pointed out. One can very clearly see where the snow is predicted to be.

Map of Nagano and Niigata.jpg

I am going to assume that the Japanese weather model, for Japan, is going to be as good as that of the US Navy's. So, snowfall Sunday night around Myoko. Sunday is a good day to take some time off. Meeting up with a friend here on Monday. Should be a great day.

This entry is completed on Day 5, Sunday, at 11:45 AM. Good time to head into town, to explore and have lunch.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I'm enjoying this report! Hope you get snow on Sunday! (oh and it was probably a Munter hitch he used to belay you)

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Yes! It is the Munter hitch.

Day 5, AKAKURA

So, I take the day off. Breakfast is as expected at a Western owned and operated lodge. Eggs, sausage, yogurt, oatmeal, toast, juice and coffee. Wrote up Day 4, then walked into town for lunch and exploring. First order of business, as my friend, who is coming in from Shiga, and I will be skiing in-resort, is to find skis. There's only one street of significance at Akakura, so very easy. I need an all-mountain ski, rather than my touring ski. I need lunch, something interesting. And, I want to see what other lodging options there are, specifically Japanese owned and operated lodging.

Physical Condition
I struggled on the uphill yesterday and had wondered how sore I would feel today. Surprisingly, no sore muscles. That is satisfying. That means my workouts at home are working. What that also means is that not doing cardio is a problem. And/or, I need to improve my uphill technique and be more efficient. Despite feeling good, I decide to take the day off anyway.

In Search of Skis
My touring skis are 109, 186 with 26.5 radius, fully rockered. I am 5'10", 180. Skiing through the resort yesterday, groomed and moguls, it was certainly doable, carving turns, even short ones. It was even an excellent way on challenging and practicing one’s skiing skill. But, that’s not something I want to do skiing with my friend tomorrow. What I need is an all mountain ski, preferably cambered, preferably shorter, preferably narrower, with which to ski in-resort, on-piste and off-piste, groomers, bumps, and the anticipated powder. The challenge is to find such a ski that has bindings that can accommodate my AT boots, ISO 9523 to geeks. I find them.

First place I come across, a Japanese operated rental shop, I can see from the inventory, no way. Second place, I could have walked right past it because, from the street, all I see is a coffee shop. But, then, I notice a sign that says Coffee and Rentals. I go in. Turns out it is an Aussie operated tour operator that takes folks, who book one week or 10-day tours, to the various resorts, selecting resorts based on conditions and snowfalls. The coffee and rentals are mainly for their clients. The guy in there shows me a Nordica Enforcer with Marker frame binding. I look up the ski. Wow, almost perfect. 100 width, 10-20 wider than I felt I needed, but OK, like my Bonafide at home, but shorter. 177 length with 16.5 radius. They have the 186, but, considering the moguls, 177 seems like the better choice. Problem is, we can't tell by looking at the binding what model it is; and I don't know enough about binding design to figure out if it can be adjusted to accommodate an AT boot (I do now), and neither can the employee. I am encouraged to come back after lunch, when James will be there. I'll be back.

The third shop, also Japanese operated, again no way from a quick perusal. Then another Aussie owned tour and rental operator; no touring equipment at all. Then, an interesting looking ski shop that has a food shed in front of it (more on the food shed later). Again, the employee is unfamiliar, but pulls up a ski that has a Marker frame binding on it. It's a 108, fully rockered, twin tip. One look and I'm not so keen and tell him that I will continue looking. Up the street I go. Long story not so short, no other shops have skis with touring bindings.

Lodging Discovery:
As I mentioned before, I am also searching for lunch and other lodging options. As I am walking, looking for skis, I keep a look-out. I find a great lunch and I find what, for me, would be great place to stay if I were to return.

Many restaurants are closed, open only for dinner. Others are not very interesting, ramen, soba, tempura, a shed that serves kebobs. Seems like the closed restaurants are the most interesting. Along the main street, no interesting lodging choices. The street comes to an end at a T-intersection. The cross street has lodging in both directions. I choose to go uphill.

As I walk up the road, there are some restaurants, all closed. There are some good size hotels and inns, 4-5 stories high, none very interesting, except... I come across a small one-story building that looks homey. It has a Japanese foyer in which one removes shoes. Is it a restaurant? More intriguing, is it a ryokan? I enter. From the naturally lit foyer, I peer down a dark hallway that ends in a naturally lit space. I am intrigued. I call out "hello". No one answers, so I start unlacing my boots. Then, I hear a sound, look up, and a little old lady peeks out of a door along the hallway. I say "hello" again. She steps out and walks over to me. Turns out she doesn't speak a word of English; actually, I don't speak a word of Japanese. I say 'ryokan', and she nods her head and I am excited. I break out my Windows phone and pull up Google translate. What is the price for one room, one person? She reads the translation and understands. She walks away and returns with pen and paper, the writes 7000 yen, nice. I Google Translate, ' does that include breakfast'. She shakes her head and writes a single character; it is clear the character is 'no'. Because Japanese are so literal, I Google Translate, 'what is the price with breakfast?' She shakes her head; ok no breakfast available. I say OK, I bow, I lace up my boots, then, as I exit, I turn, bow, and say arigato. Such a disappointment.

Up the road, I pass what looks like an establishment hotel. Four stories high, looks like its been around for a while, looks like a premium choice for Japanese vacationers to go. Then, I come upon a small street that is not well plowed. Snow is packed down by traffic. There are a couple of signs pointing down that way, indicating, I think, names of establishments. But, I can’t see anything. I walk down the street. A building on the left, can’t figure out whether it is a lodge or a private residence. Down the hill, at a turn in the road, a dark-wood building that, at first glance, looks like a warehouse or barn. I peer through the windows of an old wooden sliding door and see a foyer for changing shoes. Promising and surprising. I enter. Woah! I have entered a lodge or ryokan where skiers and hikers stay. Old skis ornament the walls. An assortment of old backpacks hang from a long rack. I feel like I’ve entered a small ski and mountaineering lodge that one might find in old-Vermont. I call out. “Hello!”

No one answers. So, again, I start unlacing my boots, intending to walk further in. Then, a middle-aged woman appears. Again, I can’t speak Japanese. Out comes the phone and up comes Google Translate, when suddenly a door slides open. A couple of Japanese women have been putting their skis away in a little room. They speak English. After introducing myself and answering their questions – where are you from, why are you in Japan - they help me with my questions, pricing, types of rooms (tatami with futons), breakfasts, dinners, bathing facilities (onsen bathing). I ask if I can see a room and the proprietor is kind enough to show me one. As we walk in, we pass a common area with shelves and shelves of either DVD’s or CD’s or both. Upstairs, the room is clean and bright, not luxurious, with tatami mat and toilet room, accommodates up to 5 guests. I ask if I can see a smaller room for 2 guests. The ladies have followed us up and offer to show me their room, so gracious. Nice! I tell them I would like to stay there next time I am in Akakura. Then, one woman asks how I will make a reservation. I’ll book online of course. ‘No online booking’. Then, I’ll call or fax. ‘They (the proprietor) do not understand English.’ I consider this, then look up and tell her, ‘You will be my agent!’ She puts her hand over her open mouth, then the two helpful women chat away, after which she turns to me and says, ‘Yes, I can be your agent’, with a great big smile. She tells me I can email her, then she shares her name and email address. The other woman chimes in, ‘We’ll join you when you visit.’, or something like that. Woah, that is not what I meant. ‘Tell us when you will come and we will come too’. Both women giggle. We’ll see about that, time to make my exit. I thank the two women, and we say goodbye. I retreat downstairs with the proprietor as they continue to chatter and giggle. She is now much more animated and friendly. Back at the foyer, out comes Google Translate. ‘Do you have a pamphlet?’ She quickly gets me one. It is accompanied by a page that has photos of an assortment of mushrooms (more on mushrooms later). I must try this place if I return to Akakura, but I am not sure what to make of the two women and am wondering to myself how else I can make a reservation. I lace up my boots, then, as I exit, I turn, bow, and say arigato.

Finding the Goods. JapChow:
I previously mentioned that there was a food shed in front of a Japanese ski shop. Having completed my search for alternative lodging, I now direct my attention to lunch. This shed had caught my attention, so I return to it. I had passed other sheds; one serves kebobs, others serve popular Japanese foods – ramen, tempura, etc. This shed serves clam chowda. A poster shows a steamy bowl of chowder, surrounded by photos of all the fixin’s, clams, potatoes, cheese, parsley, and a bag of mystery ingredients. I generally avoid cream-based foods, but I do like clam chowder and I felt compelled to try it. Turns out, it may be the best clam chowder east of Eastport, Maine, though I have not had the opportunity to try any in between, west of Akakura. The broth has just the right consistency and is flavorful, and the clams are sweet. Looking for JapChow? Yukibancho SHED in Akakura is where you will find the goods.

The rental shop is one of two that had skis with touring bindings. I passed on those and ended up settling for the Nordica Enforcer’s at the Aussie shop. All good to go for the next day.

The Quest for Dinner:
This evening, I am disappointed, not being able to get into the restaurant I had selected. But, then, I had an incredible dining experience at another. After resting up and catching up on email and other work, it was time for dinner. The manager of the lodge had previously assured me that I would have no problem getting a table at 6 PM, when many restaurants open, since it was just me. Going over the list of restaurants, I chose a yakitori restaurant. In Japan, yakitori is not just chicken yakitori or beef yakitori. It can be all sorts of vegetables, mushrooms, various internal organs, which I avoid on account of the cholesterol.

I get to the yakitori restaurant and am told they are fully booked. They are just opening. Not one table is occupied; not one guest in sight. Besides the tables, I see a narrow wood counter along one wall, with four wooden stools. Really? One guest? I’m not going to be sitting around socializing. One person; that’s an in-and-out customer. Nope, fully booked. Taking the cue from the pro-active tourist at the eel/horsemeat restaurant in Hakuba, I ask when a table will be available. 8:30. OK, I will walk around; I promise to return.

I am resolved to return when I set out to view the evening scene. Down a side street, I see a couple of red lanterns. This signifies an open restaurant. I look in and discover it is an ekonomyaki (spelling?) restaurant, Japanese pancake made with eggs, vegetables, and possibly meat. One cooks it oneself on a grill at the table. This impossibly tiny restaurant has two tables. A woman, speaking impeccable English, tells me that a table won’t be available until later. I forget what time, but she volunteered a time! Since I had enjoyed ekonomyaki recently, in Tokyo, I thank her, decline the offer of a table, and explain. We graciously say good-bye to each other. Onwards.

I return from the side-street to the larger street. Nothing interests me. I stop by a ski and snowboard boot shop just to look. When I step out, there is one more restaurant further down, then darkness. This street hasn’t been very interesting, and I’m thinking that I should turn back and find another street to explore. But, just to be diligent, I check out this last restaurant. Menu pages are posted outside. Vegan, gluten-free, how very odd for a Japanese restaurant. Items are annotated with “I make this with (this)”, “I make this with (that)”. OK, an owner-chef restaurant, not unusual in Japan, and typically very good. What I see is so unusual, I take my phone out to take a photo of what has been posted. Snap, snap, then an older woman steps out and hands me the menu, pages in a three-ring binder.

Unless one is at a food street in a big city, with hawkers urging you to enter, restaurant-fronts are pretty quiet, even if there is a line out the door. Certainly, older women do not come out and hand you a menu, especially when menu pages are already posted outside. But, this menu has more than what is posted. It includes meat dishes, like a pork ramen. Ehh. I continue to page through the menu and come across gluten-free pasta with mushrooms. As with the clam chowder poster, the photo of the plate is accompanied by smaller photos of the fixin’s, three types of mushrooms. Gluten-free is not my thing, but the mushrooms? I love mushrooms! In fact, when I was a boy, my grandmother called me the mushroom-boy. I can’t pass this up; in I go!

The front of the room is partitioned off and there are racks of women’s clothes for sale, and accessories, like little purses made of woven material, all for the middle-aged or more mature set. This is a clothing store by day and a restaurant by night. There are three tables. One for four persons, squeezed into the clothing section. Two tables in the back, for up to 10. The smaller table is occupied by a young man. A younger woman, who speaks English, seats me at one of the larger tables. She takes the reserved placard off and places it on the other large table. I don’t understand why she didn’t simply place me at the non-reserved table. Recalling my experience at Hakuba, I offer to sit at the table of four if the young man agrees. After conferring with the proprietor (she’s the one who had handed me the menu), they decline and ask me to remain at that table. I mentally shake my head and accept the decision, then I order (I know what I want). I also order edamame and sake to tie me over until the pasta is served. It turns out that the young man works there. So, sharing the table was not at his discretion; it was the solely the proprietor’s and she did not want me sharing a table with staff.

The gluten-free pasta is delicious, served al dente, cooked in oil and garlic and mushrooms which themselves were alternatively soft, chewy, crunch, all tasty, topped off with a sprinkling of seaweed. As I dig in, I am asked if I mind sharing the table with a couple. I give the waitress and the guests a side-wise glance and say, no problem. As I enjoy the pasta dish, they are seated and begin conversing in American English. I look up and ask where they are from. As the words come out of my mouth, I realize I am speaking to someone I know. It's Dave, the man who sighted my skis the day before, planted on the steep side of a drop off into a crater.

Last edited:
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Skiing and Guns:
Dinner the night before turned into a blast, with conversation ranging from skiing to guns. An Aussie joined us, that made four at the table. As we were having our dinner, an Aussie couple, hearing us from the front side of the partition, plopped themselves down, after already had dinner, to join the lively conversation. We discussed skiing at Niseko, Nozawa Osen, Hakuba, and of course where we were, at Myoko Kogen. Then, we spoke of home. In Alaska, you are more likely to be injured or killed by a moose than a grizzly bear; and in Australia, by a snake? Since we are Americans, one of the Aussie’s wanted to know if we own guns. Dave's wife volunteers that she owns three, ….pregnant pause, a different gun for different types of hunting. I'm the boring one and own none. Then, while the ladies are talking, the Aussie husband asks what I think of Hakuba as a place to spend three months next season, and goes on about how, by doing so, he could have a place all set up for his wife to visit with her friends. Sounds good, but I know that it won't work with my wife. Anyway, we all want to hit the slopes in the morning, so the evening wraps up relatively early. We step out onto a quiet, dark street, into heavy snowfall. About 3 inches has already fallen. No wind to speak of. It's going to be a great day tomorrow.

Day 6, Akakura Kanko
After a day off from skiing, exploring the town of Akakura, I check out the goods with a friend, then head to Shiga Yokoteyama for my last day of skiing, stopping at Nagano Station to pick up another buddy. Good skiing is had, followed by a fine dinner, ending with a breathtaking arrival at Yokoteyama.

Powder Day at Akakura Kanko
10 cm was forecasted at Akakura for that night. Speaking to the manager before retiring to my room, Akakura typically gets three times what is forecasted. Sure enough, about 30 cm (12 inches) has fallen by the bluebird morning. My friend won't join me until 11:30, so I stay on-piste. I get two line-drops and amazing powder runs down mogul fields. One groomer has gates set up on one side and no one skis down the other, despite it not being roped off, so I also get a run down an untracked groomer alongside the race course. Fantastic morning.

Soon enough, Brad arrives. He and I met a couple years ago in Japan, at an AST-2 avy class. He knows Akakura Kanko well because, in years past, he took YMCA groups there for learn-to-ride tours. He assures me I do not need my beacon shovel and probe, so to my relief, I unburden myself of my backpack and leave it in his car. The resort has some very nice off-piste, out-of-bounds sidecountry tree skiing. But, by afternoon, it is pretty tracked up. But, Brad knows where to go, in-resort, through a narrow gate opening, to a ridge that, at its end, drops off steeply. Sure enough, there is still much to be had there, particularly amongst tighter trees. It’s a Monday. There are no lines. We do lap after lap and have a great afternoon of skiing and riding. At end of day, we return the rental skis, pick up my stuff, and begin heading to our next destination, Shiga Yokoteyama. But, not before taking Brad to the Shed, for the chowda.

Akakura Kanko Trail Map.jpg
Figure: Akakura Kanko Trail Map. Laps we made in Pink. Avalanche barriers in Orange. Most folks ski the trees on other side of A Course. The side we skied is shallow at the top and drops off more steeply at the end of ridge. The other side of A Course, the steepness is more consistent throughout, not as shallow as the shallows of what we skied, and not as steep as the steeper portion.

WP_20180204_14_05_00_Pro.jpg
Photo: Avalanche control at Akakura

Dinner at Nagano Station
Before heading to Yokoteyama, Brad and I head to Nagano Station to pick up another AST-2 compatriot, coming in from Shanghai, Daniel. The station is much, much smaller than Tokyo Station, but it does have amenities. There's a food hall downstairs at which Nagano specialties can be purchased, like seasoning for rice, oyaki (dumplings), preserved vegetables, smoked fish, local beers and sake. Upstairs is where the restaurants are, which is where we end up. Since the soba from Nagano is considered to be amongst the best in Japan, that’s what we do after Daniel arrives.

The Japanese menu has photos, that helps a lot, and there are items on a separate page that have no photos. Brad helps me with the translation. One is soba accompanied by an assortment of tempura mushrooms. Bingo and delicious! The next evening, I will return for dinner, on the way back to Tokyo to attend to business. I will be given the English menu, which, to my chagrin, does not have everything that is on the Japanese menu, not even all the items with photos. Certainly, it does not have the separate page offering the mushroom dish. I will be informed that this page contains seasonal specialties; mushrooms must be in season in Nagano.

After dinner, we head off to Shiga Yokoteyama, the highest ski resort in Japan. It's nighttime, so I don't see much on the drive up. But, we arrive to a clear night, bright stars, still crisp air, and a blanket of fresh powder on the ground.

The Right Place to Stay; The Right People to Know
A word about Brad. He is an American, married to a Japanese woman, who has made Tokyo his home and his place of business. He owns and operates a bicycle touring business, named Freewheeling Japan (a well-deserved plug) that caters to tourists and expats who want to explore Tokyo by bicycle. Having travelled for years to Tokyo on business, I really haven’t gotten to know it well. I must do one of these tours. In the winter, he brings groups of kids up to Yokoteyama to learn skiing and riding. So, he knows the resort and the people well. He is so well-established there that he has a private room in the basement of the inn we stay at, a karaoke room back in the day.

The inn is a mid-resort facility to which one is taken, from the parking lot, by snowmobile. It is located just at the base of the lift we will be doing laps on the next day. The owner, Akira-san (first name), is the captain of rescue services. Not the ski patrol, the BC rescue services. After checking in, we sit down, have a beer and Akira-san breaks out a 3D topo map. We go over the resort and the backcountry, dangerous terrain and aspects. Finally, he shares a recent near-tragedy in which a Chinese national, thinking he was still skiing in-resort, skied into a BC bowl and was stranded overnight. Akira says it would have been an 8 hour hike out if the guy knew the way. With and For great fortune, the guy survived the night and was found the next day by Akira-san’ team, then heli’d out. 600,000 yen, about $5,400, CASH ONLY. To be perfectly clear, https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/26/google-translate-now-provides-live-translation-of-japanese-text/. I know my ATM card has daily limits. This guy had the cash on-hand! Anyway, I come away wondering what it would cost if we offer Akira-san an opportunity for his team to engage in a training exercise, with a known time-of-day and pickup point.

Day 7, A Stellar Day at Yokoteyama
It does not snow overnight, but we are blessed by fresh powder that fell the previous day. The powder is incredibly light, something that Yokoteyama is apparently known for on account of its elevation, the highest resort in Japan. The morning sun is out, the air is still, and there is a light morning snowfall – no, it’s a stellar-fall! Imagine it, on a trail in untracked powder, trees on either side, with a view from the tallest mountain, snow so light that it falls into your tracks, AND, the air sparkles as the stellars fall. This video captures, if you look closely enough, a little of each of these elements, but cannot capture the immersive experience.

Video: One can only see a few sparkles in the air, one can see snow falling back into snowboard tracks, and only glimpses of trees and the distant view.

Yokoteyama’s on-piste terrain is at best advanced-intermediate and all groomed. What you see in the video is a closed trail, hence the powder. Ducking the rope and ignoring the closed sign gets us there. Of course, I am apprehensive of avy risk, but Brad, knowing the place well assures us there isn’t any. All morning, we get lap after lap on this trail, with no one else on it. On one of the rides up to the top, we come across an assembly of photographers, all seeking to capture this view, which I snapped quickly,

WP_20180206_10_18_31_Pro.jpg
Photo: View from the bottom of the topmost lift at Yokoteyama.

They have their cameras and telephoto lenses pointed. Some are ready. Others are still making adjustments. None are taking photos. What are they waiting for? A particular angle of the sun? Or, are they waiting for something even more special, the appearance of sparkling stellars to blanket the scene? If the latter, they have much patience for something that would be very rare indeed.

Trumpeting the Crumpets
One who has travelled to Japan and enjoyed its foreign cuisine know that the Japanese take it seriously. It’s like heated toilet seats, everything has to be perfect, the perfect baguette, the perfect coffee, the perfect medium-well hamburger. At the top of Yoketeyama, at the Crumpet Café, one can have the perfect lemon curd crumpet, the perfectly browned tuna-cheddar-melt crumpet, the perfect English Milk Tea, along with the perfect chocolate. The lemon curd is not a dollop from a batch made the night before, nor the morning of. Each dollop is hand-made. The tuna-melt is prepared with the similar attention. The English Milk Tea is individually brewed, looks just right, and tastes perfect. And, Marou chocolate, “The Best Chocolate You’ve Never Tasted”, https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/06/t-magazine/food/marou-vietnamese-chocolate.html. Be prepared to be patient for your crumpet to be prepared and for your tea to be brewed. Relax.

Tree Skiing at Yokoteyama
Two crumpets and an English Milk Tea have laid me down. I can’t keep my eyes open. So, Brad and Daniel take a couple laps without me. I meet them outside, timing it just right, and they have scoped out some tree runs. Again, amazing untracked powder runs, but through some pretty tight trees. One needs to know where to find the narrow openings. The runs do take us to a very narrow and shallow, steep-sloped gulley, too narrow and shallow to pose an avy risk, that one needs to hike through if one gets too low.

Yokoteyama Trail Map.jpg
Figure: Trail map of Yokoteyama. Lines we skied in Pink. Black trail was closed, but we skied it anyway. Untracked except by us in the morning. Tree skiing in the afternoon, accessed from closed trail.

Why Yokoteyama?
Everything we did, even the trees, was terrain that is appropriate for an advanced intermediate. And, there wasn’t that much vertical. Like the trees, the heart of it, 100 meters maybe, 150? So, if one is seeking longer and more challenging terrain, why would one go to Yokoteyama? First, being the elevation that it is, the powder was incredibly dry and light as compared to what we had at Akakura. Don’t get me wrong; the powder at Akakura was light. Second, on a weekday, it feels like one has the entire resort to oneself. There were a few ski school classes, all highly regimented and disciplined no one bombing down the uncrowded pistes. Coupled with the views, there is a feeling of serenity. And, finally, the Crumpet Café. If I were exploring the resorts and the BC of Shiga Kogen with my wife, who is not much into skiing, I think she would really enjoy our being stationed at one of the mid-resort inns at Yokoteyama. Easy, uncrowded groomers, at least on weekdays. Granted, no town, no shopping, no restaurant hopping. But, compared to Happo Village in Hakuba and Akakura in Myoko Kogen, a nice quiet getaway.

Japanese-ness
I think I learned something about the Japanese in these past days, something that could be of benefit when I conduct business in Japan. Denying someone something, something that the other may seem perfectly reasonable, is not necessarily a Japanese person being rude. They don’t want to convey wrong information. Doing so, in their view, is a great disservice. Hence, there is no table available at the restaurant; or it is a 30-minute wait, when it is actually more like 15 minutes; having a guest share a table with staff, or offering something, in their mind, that is inferior, is unconscionable, even if the other person may think it is perfectly acceptable and practical. So, when one is denied, it is not necessarily the Japanese being rude. It could very well be someone trying very hard not to be rude, someone being very earnest at providing the best service.

I hope you enjoyed this report. I hope you have a chance to visit Japan, if not ski in Japan.

Last edited: