• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
F1D8F1BB-600E-4D97-9207-D386337C4B30.jpeg

Today I learned about something called an external fixator, which is the thing you see here. It is screwed into my leg bones. I managed to impress quite a few people with the x-rays of my tibial plateau fracture.

I’m so grateful for the wonderful Snowbird Ski Patrol who plucked me off a very difficult spot on the mountain and brought me down safely, as well as the EMTs who transported me and all the amazing people here at Intermountain Hospital.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ouch! My wife keeps chirping about my knee.... I grumble and say, "I'm still walking...." Yours is an injury. Hope you heal up well and soon Chris. Best wishes.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, nasty looking. Best wishes for a fast and full recovery.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Chris Walker if you're willing to share, what were the circumstances of the injury? Any wisdom to share with an advancing skier that might be on the verge of something similar?

TS
Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
@Chris Walker if you're willing to share, what were the circumstances of the injury? Any wisdom to share with an advancing skier that might be on the verge of something similar?

Good thought, @Plai, avoid this if you can :) It’s a bit embarrassing because it was such a rookie mistake. I dropped a cornice into what looked like a pristine field of powder, only to land on a rock outcropping barely covered by snow.

I should know better by than that, but I was lulled int a false sense of security by 2 straight day of great powder, and everything was so fluffy— until it wasn’t. Be sure about your landing zones.

Last edited:
TS
Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
It's getting to be a rough Spring for injuries. Any idea how the ligaments fared ?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thanks!

They did a CT scan which revealed I tore the MCL I’m not sure if they will order more imaging or if that’s the extent of the damage.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel for ya man. Heal quickly and get back on the horse. I was at the Bird last week and them rocks were lurking just below the fresh, could have happened to any of us.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 42117

Today I learned about something called an external fixator, which is the thing you see here. It is screwed into my leg bones. I managed to impress quite a few people with the x-rays of my tibial plateau fracture.

I’m so grateful for the wonderful Snowbird Ski Patrol who plucked me off a very difficult spot on the mountain and brought me down safely, as well as the EMTs who transported me and all the amazing people here at Intermountain Hospital.

Dang!
If I were you, I wouldn't have done that. :duck:

Seriously, Tibial Plateau Fractures can be tough. Heal well and do your PT

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry to see this. While it pales in comparison, I have a lateral malleolus fracture of my fibula that has put me on the shelf since the end of January. Doctor says my healing is a few weeks ahead of schedule, which I'd like to attribute to my PT and exercise. The web says our healing times are similar (3 months), but I suspect your PT will be a bit more involved! Stay positive...

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Good thought, @Plai................... It’s a bit embarrassing because it was such a rookie mistake. I dropped a cornice into what looked like a pristine field of powder, only to land on a rock outcropping barely covered by snow.

I should know better by than that, but I was lulled int a false sense of security by 2 straight day of great powder, and everything was so fluffy— until it wasn’t. Be sure about your landing zones.

This has got to be a Utah thing. At least you dropped a cornice. I tried to get to the "easiest way down" road. :nono:

That type of break usually gets the MCL. I guess if you had to damage any of the ligaments you managed to get the right one.

Hang in there Chris.

Sponsor