• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My toes are frozen I want heat

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
they own it so not really resellers

sidas bought thermic a few years back, they ran the two products side by side for a while, more recently they have gone down the route of sidas being the insole company and thermic being the heat company

I did not know that. Interesting, especially considering that I think the Sidas Pro Set was the better system: larger heating element, smaller more powerful batteries.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Just a quick heads-up on in boot heat installs- there are a few smart ways to do the install and the way the instructions tell you... which is the stupid way. I suggest you should NOT follow the instructions or let them be installed with the wiring running under the entire footbed and out the heel. That's just stupid, unless you think your boots would feel better with a few less millimeters of toe room.

Jim (Otto) from Start Haus has an excellent video. We run the wire out of the liner slightly differently, we go straight out through the bottom of the liner and then run it the same as Jim just outside the liner instead of inside, otherwise-

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
One more thing about Boot Heat, and this is really important to understand-

You won't necessarily FEEL heat when they are on and it is cold. They prevent you from getting overly cold but they don't turn your boots into a hot tub. Read that again, it's important to understand. You will experience an absence of cold more than you will feel heat. Read that again.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dry feet, dry socks and especially a dry boot go a long way to not getting cold feet.

QFT. I think a lot of people don't truly dry their boots. Inner liner feels great, so good to go, right?!

Remove liner and often discover moisture between it and the boot shell, esp in the toe region.

I had Hotronics installed in a race fit Head Raptor 140 this season, thus far I've skied them in 6*F (I thought that day was cold...), -14*F, -15*F, and -18*F air temps, along with more normal skiing weather. At no point on any of those days did my feet feel cold.

I've skied Raptors in the cold, and THIS is a testimonial.

Only thing I don’t have is a heated boot bag but strongly considering it, if for no other reason than because I’m too weak and feeble to wrestle my way into these boots half the time (combo of tiny size and stiff-for-my-size boot, I guess? I can flex them fine once they’re on :huh:)

If budget is a concern, buy (or sew) a pair of rice bags that fit in your boots. A couple minutes in the microwave, insert into boots, "cork" them with an old pair of rolled up gloves and you're good to go. I do this using a $15 boot bag and it works surprisingly well.

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
One more thing about Boot Heat, and this is really important to understand-

You won't necessarily FEEL heat when they are on and it is cold. They prevent you from getting overly cold but they don't turn your boots into a hot tub. Read that again, it's important to understand. You will experience an absence of cold more than you will feel heat. Read that again.
Perfect! I’ve resisted the idea of boot heaters because I hate feeling hot even if I’m always freezing. There’s a reason I moved back to New England.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Being sample size for ski boots, I was into the shop the other day. Rossi has a heated liner and I suspect others will too. I didn't even know it was out this year. But then the ski shop wasn't open for instore shopping last year...

So there is an option. Although it might only be the women's boot.....

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Being sample size for ski boots, I was into the shop the other day. Rossi has a heated liner and I suspect others will too. I didn't even know it was out this year. But then the ski shop wasn't open for instore shopping last year...

So there is an option. Although it might only be the women's boot.....
i would much rather fit an aftermarket heater than use a heated liner in our store, if the liner goes wrong then you have to replace the liner and do all the fitting work again, if the aftermarket heater system goes wrong its either the element (cheap and simple to replace) or the battery (not so cheap) past experience is these things go wrong a little too often to want to have to try and get warranty from the suppliers of expensive liners especially when they announce they no longer make the liner or they don't have any stock

keep it simple

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Just a quick heads-up on in boot heat installs- there are a few smart ways to do the install and the way the instructions tell you... which is the stupid way. I suggest you should NOT follow the instructions or let them be installed with the wiring running under the entire footbed and out the heel. That's just stupid, unless you think your boots would feel better with a few less millimeters of toe room.

Jim (Otto) from Start Haus has an excellent video. We run the wire out of the liner slightly differently, we go straight out through the bottom of the liner and then run it the same as Jim just outside the liner instead of inside, otherwise-

Curious what the problem is for going straight out the back if you are dremeling out a channel for the cord anyway. How does that reduce toe room?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Curious what the problem is for going straight out the back if you are dremeling out a channel for the cord anyway. How does that reduce toe room?

That presupposes that the footbed thickness can accommodate the cable thickness by using a channel on the underside of the footbed. This isn't always the case for very thin (think race) footbeds in a very tight shell. However, the impact can still be kept to a minimum with some creativity.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
i would much rather fit an aftermarket heater than use a heated liner in our store, if the liner goes wrong then you have to replace the liner and do all the fitting work again, if the aftermarket heater system goes wrong its either the element (cheap and simple to replace) or the battery (not so cheap) past experience is these things go wrong a little too often to want to have to try and get warranty from the suppliers of expensive liners especially when they announce they no longer make the liner or they don't have any stock

keep it simple
Yes, CEM has correctly stated logical facts!

The reason that there are durability complaints about the various boot heaters available comes down to poorly installed heaters. For example having the the cable come straight down the middle of the footbed from the heat pad at the toe, and exiting in the direct center of the liner heel and coming straight up the back of the boot. This type of install will expose the wiring to. multiple wear points that will inevitably wear through the cable.

So the purpose for getting the wiring away from your body weight and pressure through the footbed is the best way to get your heaters to last. It does not have to be done as in the video that Mike Thomas posted. The installer only has to be slightly smarter that a bundle of copper wires. You can come straight out of the toe and routed on the top of the liner avoiding the boney spots like 1st and 5th metatarsal heads, styloid process, navicular, and ankle bones. Like any other fitting objective in ski boots the key is to redistribute pressure to alleviate pain.

To CEM's point about built in heat within the liner... I would definitely be cautious to jump into that game. History has shown anytime a ski boot supplier has attempted to have any type of wiring running through an inner boot, it has been a failure. In common sense terms the companies that specialize in boot heaters and have been selling and improving them for over 30 years have yet to idiot proof the product or the process. What would be the indicator that Rossignol, K2, or any other boot supplier would hit it out of the park on their first attempt. Not saying it couldn't happen, just saying I would wait until the product has survived a season or 2 before throwing out good money on a liner that will either have to be replaced from the manufacturer as warranty or at either a cost to you for the product and or product plus shipping including down time where you have no boot to ski on waiting for a warranty from a company that post COVID can barely deliver ordered product, much less excess warranty parts... ( Just in case you have not seen the paradigm shift in product innovation and delivery during COVID ) I would either put my eggs into Hotronics, or Thermic basket, or look into some of the same companies that are making heat built into socks ( those seem to be passing the smell test of durability and performance ) Also includes independent brands like Lenz.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A year or two ago Thermic had a heated tongue at one of the shows. I haven't seen it on their site though. That seemed like a pretty good idea since lots of blood and nerves are on top of the foot.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier

Looks to be discontinued? Priced lower and only in one size on the sidas store

CautiouSkier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I did not know that. Interesting, especially considering that I think the Sidas Pro Set was the better system: larger heating element, smaller more powerful batteries.
Hi, I'm currently on market for some boot heaters and found this old thread. Do you think that the Sidas pro set is still a better option comparing to the thermic C 1700 or 1300. Thanks!

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
Venustas makes a fairly thin well made heated sock. Got great price on Amazon canada lightening deal

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lenz heated socks for the wins...get the heat right next to and around your toes.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Lenz heated socks for the wins...get the heat right next to and around your toes.
These only work if you have room for them. The 6.1's are their thinnest sock yet still thicker than any other ski sock I use. I'm still trying to make these work, but I may have to go back to a footbed type heating system.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These only work if you have room for them. The 6.1's are their thinnest sock yet still thicker than any other ski sock I use. I'm still trying to make these work, but I may have to go back to a footbed type heating system.
They definitely are a wee bit more snug than my regular socks and my boots don't have a lot of extra room in them. However, I can make them work and they just work way better than boot heaters IMHO. YMMV.

Sponsor

Staff online