• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My new toy: Mazdaspeed turbo Miata

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Just cruising the "Cars for sale" websites a few weeks ago. Saw a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata (the limited-edition turbo that only existed two years). Hmm. At a dealer near me. 80,000 miles. Not bad for a 2004. Previous owner lived in Texas (nice dry state). Clean Carfax. What the heck. Can't hurt to look.

Arrived and saw this beautiful Titanium Grey, immaculate car. Not a scratch, high-end leather interior. Couldn't find anything wrong! Took it for a drive. Solid in all respects. Took it to my mechanic who gave it a clean bill of health. Bought it that day. $9,700.

Now the fun begins! Am currently installing a lighter flywheel (13.5 lbs.) and Level 1 clutch from Flyin' Miata. Next comes their "Little Enchilada" (new intake, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler) to get about 70 more horsepower. After that...

Phil, you'd love it! Here's a pic of a similar one:

https://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/cars-sale-trade-6/80205d1371852914-2004-mazda-mx-5-mazdaspeed-miata-$$13-000-dsc_075011.jpg

Best!
Mike

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Mike, perfect summer car for Summit County. THAT is where pressurized engines thrive.
We'll expect a full report on 'Pass' performance when she's all back together and making you smile way too often.
Best hurry though, snow is not that far off and the days grow shorter rapidly... :D

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The '79 RX-7 out under the car park is a kick in the butt....every time!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, the Little Enchalada kit is indeed the way to go on the Mazdaspeeds. Does it still have the Racing Hart wheels? Many have swapped them off for lighter alternatives with some going back to 16's too.

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Hi, Phil!

The Racing Hart 17s are gone. Previous owner switched to 205/45/16s, which I like better anyway. They look a lot like the ones in the photo, which I'd guess are also 16s. I like less weight! After the Little Enchilada, the Big Enchilada beckons. Want to see how the first mods go before committing. Fun car! The factory beefed up all the softer areas the Miata had when it put out the Mazdaspeed version. Good stuff.

By the way, trips to New Zealand really screw up your biorhythms! It took me a week to get over the 13-hour time difference. Worth it, though. Great training out there!

Best!
Mike

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, what have you done to the car so far?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Just cruising the "Cars for sale" websites a few weeks ago. Saw a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata (the limited-edition turbo that only existed two years). Hmm. At a dealer near me. 80,000 miles. Not bad for a 2004. Previous owner lived in Texas (nice dry state). Clean Carfax. What the heck. Can't hurt to look.

Arrived and saw this beautiful Titanium Grey, immaculate car. Not a scratch, high-end leather interior. Couldn't find anything wrong! Took it for a drive. Solid in all respects. Took it to my mechanic who gave it a clean bill of health. Bought it that day. $9,700.

Now the fun begins! Am currently installing a lighter flywheel (13.5 lbs.) and Level 1 clutch from Flyin' Miata. Next comes their "Little Enchilada" (new intake, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler) to get about 70 more horsepower. After that...

Phil, you'd love it! Here's a pic of a similar one:

https://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/cars-sale-trade-6/80205d1371852914-2004-mazda-mx-5-mazdaspeed-miata-$$13-000-dsc_075011.jpg

Best!
Mike
The difference between a man and a boy is the price of their toys. But we all need our toys.

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
With 12 inches of snow in Summit County, I figure I'll wait for next spring for the major upgrades, but did add a Flyin' Miata Level 1 clutch and 13.5 lb. flywheel. Love the way light flywheels let a car zip up to speed and drop the revs quickly for heel-and-toe downshifting. Not too light that its noisy or difficult in traffic, and just right for added responsiveness. The problem is, it's real hard to adhere to the instructions to "drive like you're bringing your grandmother to church for the first 500 miles," but did I take it on the back roads around Morrison last week. Picked up Jeff Bergeron and let him drive it. He's another car guy. Definite fun! That car is made for switchbacks!

To be continued...

Loveland and A-Basin open soon! Think snow!

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I don't know much about the Mazdaspeed, but one of my Miata geek friends is unimpressed. He thinks the turbo is too small and the boost is too low. That adds low end torque but not much at the high end. Is that true? Would it be better with more top end HP at the expense of a flat torque curve? Has anyone ever tried swapping for a bigger turbo? Do the Flying Miata kits have a bigger turbo?

I have been thinking about a supercharger for my 2000, but it's got over 100K on the clock and I'm afraid boost wold blow it up.
dm

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't know much about the Mazdaspeed, but one of my Miata geek friends is unimpressed. He thinks the turbo is too small and the boost is too low. That adds low end torque but not much at the high end. Is that true? Would it be better with more top end HP at the expense of a flat torque curve? Has anyone ever tried swapping for a bigger turbo? Do the Flying Miata kits have a bigger turbo?

I have been thinking about a supercharger for my 2000, but it's got over 100K on the clock and I'm afraid boost wold blow it up.
dm
Flying Miata makes a Little Enchalada kit that does the trick.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

dm

If you go back and read the original post, he plans to upgrade with some nice pieces from Flyin' Miata that will yield him another 75ish HP.
Turbos have come a long way in design so it's important to match the right turbo to get the desired results. For the Miata application I would want a 'building' power curve with some surge above say 4k. In a heavier car or one used for more day to day type work, you can build torque very early (say just past 2k) and maintain a dead flat torque curve to at least 6k. It's the twin scroll units that allow this and for all practical purposes, completely eliminate any 'turbo' lag. (which is simply spool up time)

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Flying Miata makes a Little Enchalada kit that does the trick.
That doesn't use a larger turbo, which my friend thinks is the essential issue. Does the Little Enchilada include a tune that allows higher boost?

I wasn't too impressed with the low boost Volvo turbo I had, although it could have been a good thing at high altitude. OTOH the Mazdaspeed3 was a hoot, as was my son's Starion turbo, although it was way too unrefined to compete in today's market.

dm

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
... it's important to match the right turbo to get the desired results. For the Miata application I would want a 'building' power curve with some surge above say 4k.
That was what I was thinking. So the question is whether the Maxdaspeed turbo flows enough volume for the high end. If it doesn't, what about swapping out for a bigger turbo and living with the turbo lag and other unpleasantness that comes from cobbled together solutions? You might be able to do that for less cash than a Flying Miata kit, although the results might be a little more sketchy.

This is kind of vicarious for me. I want to experiment but I don't have the nerve to do it to my own car. OTOH it's always hilarious when someone else blows something up.

dm

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
So, for you Miata guys, please explain why anybody sticks a 350 V-8 into one of these cars? Unless it's the usual, "because they can, and it will fit", and somebody had to try.
A month or so, an old series car guy friend of mine {and I mean serious} made the comment, when I brought up a Miata as really great option for the money that he would only want one with a V-8.....to which I just laughed.

Believe me, I've had a lot of cars, tweaked a lot of them, tracked a lot of them. I also have had many a blast in my life driving some pretty slow cars pretty fast, or at least feeling like we were flying. I think it made me a much better driver. My bugeye when I was a teen, my dad's Datsun 510, an original mini that came close to Cooper S specs after a lot of trips to various junkyards {back when they existed....that's how I built my first 3-4 cars!}. A lot of them. I guess I look at a Miata, having never owned one, and still think "man, that could just be a whole lot of fun to get out and drive!" And to tweak a bit.

So what is the appeal of a V-8 powered Miata? Am I missing something?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, for you Miata guys, please explain why anybody sticks a 350 V-8 into one of these cars? Unless it's the usual, "because they can, and it will fit", and somebody had to try.
A month or so, an old series car guy friend of mine {and I mean serious} made the comment, when I brought up a Miata as really great option for the money that he would only want one with a V-8.....to which I just laughed.

Believe me, I've had a lot of cars, tweaked a lot of them, tracked a lot of them. I also have had many a blast in my life driving some pretty slow cars pretty fast, or at least feeling like we were flying. I think it made me a much better driver. My bugeye when I was a teen, my dad's Datsun 510, an original mini that came close to Cooper S specs after a lot of trips to various junkyards {back when they existed....that's how I built my first 3-4 cars!}. A lot of them. I guess I look at a Miata, having never owned one, and still think "man, that could just be a whole lot of fun to get out and drive!" And to tweak a bit.

So what is the appeal of a V-8 powered Miata? Am I missing something?

Ask Carroll Shelby...oh, never mind. I guess because you can. I forget who made the first "Monster Miata" but since the bigger most fits, why not do it. Me? I have had no intererst. Personally I prefer the Colin Chapman philosophy, add lightness or Bob Hall, the illegitimate step father of the Miata who said "If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP isn't going to help you. And the famous unknown author quote "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow" .

To me, the Miata is about balance, that 50/50 weight balance fore and aft. Driving the car at 9/10ths and still being responsible. But I will say and have always said, the Miata is a blank canvas and an artist can make it whatever he/she wants it to be.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
So, for you Miata guys, please explain why anybody sticks a 350 V-8 into one of these cars?
It makes no sense to me. It's just a nose heavy Miata shaped object for the price of a Corvette or 3 series. You really can't even race it anywhere. (It would be pretty humiliating to get smoked in autocross by a stock NA.) The crazy thing is that mods usually reduce the value of the car. It's easy to make a car faster, but hard to make it better.

dm

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That doesn't use a larger turbo, which my friend thinks is the essential issue. Does the Little Enchilada include a tune that allows higher boost?

I wasn't too impressed with the low boost Volvo turbo I had, although it could have been a good thing at high altitude. OTOH the Mazdaspeed3 was a hoot, as was my son's Starion turbo, although it was way too unrefined to compete in today's market.

dm

Not a car guy, but love driving fast. I owned an 08 Mazdaspeed3 for a few years before trading it in for an SUV:( The Speed3 railed corners and had plenty of gonads and no/very little lag. I bought it used and the owner gave me the keys for a solo test ride. I came back with a huge grin and bought it on the spot. So much fun.

I've heard Miatas are great handling cars, but didn't think they had the HP to really haul. Is the Mazdaspeed Miata a beefed up version and what type of HP does it get, stock and with the mods you guys are talking about? Sounds like a super fun car.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've heard Miatas are great handling cars, but didn't think they had the HP to really haul. Is the Mazdaspeed Miata a beefed up version and what type of HP does it get, stock and with the mods you guys are talking about? Sounds like a super fun car.

Yeah, they weren't fast at all, thats why they had their own race series, Spec Miatas and from Road & Track. ;) And none of these have turbo's either.