• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Tom K. - verified. I own those knee pads. But I don't like knee pads when there's much pedaling. I own all sorts of armor, but there's a tradeoff in comfort and sometimes skin irritation.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've learned a lot at mountain biking clinics. Please let us know how it goes and if you found it worthwhile!
Will do! People mentioning clinics on this forum is what got me thinking about doing one. That and being in over my head on many rides I've done. I can't find any easy trails that aren't boring....

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you wear knee pads on XC rides you've ridden for years? I know some people do wear them all the time. For me, ugh.

I hate them too, so I will admit, that no, I usually don't. Moab-style rock riding only, typically.

What I actually DO might seem kind of funny, but whenever it isn't overly hot, I typically ride in -- gasp -- knickers. They provide just enough protection for rugged xc-style technical riding, and "disappear" within 5 minutes of starting to ride.

I've got some from Performance that are as thin as summer lycra shorts (so this ends up being cooler than regular shorts and Troy Lee Speed Sleeves) and some 3-season thermals from Performance and Specialized.

If you combine old, thick ski socks that none of us wear anymore with thermal knickers, you can close the shin gap and have poor man's tights!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I hate them too, so I will admit, that no, I usually don't. Moab-style rock riding only, typically.

What I actually DO might seem kind of funny, but whenever it isn't overly hot, I typically ride in -- gasp -- knickers. They provide just enough protection for rugged xc-style technical riding, and "disappear" within 5 minutes of starting to ride.

I've got some from Performance that are as thin as summer lycra shorts (so this ends up being cooler than regular shorts and Troy Lee Speed Sleeves) and some 3-season thermals from Performance and Specialized.

If you combine old, thick ski socks that none of us wear anymore with thermal knickers, you can close the shin gap and have poor man's tights!

I actually do have a pair of old ratty running tights, and it's cool enough that I could deal with the extra warmth. Probably be good for the knees anyway, falls aside. Maybe when it's 50 out. It was over 70 yesterday!

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
I own knee pads and full knee/shin combo armor!

I don't generally wear it on green trails that have a couple of more noteworthy sections. Or anywhere requiring climbing. It's *annoying* having something at the crease of my knee. Sometimes downright painful if there's enough pedaling. I couldn't say if that's because I'm overweight, have delicate skin, or what.

Do you wear knee pads on XC rides you've ridden for years? I know some people do wear them all the time. For me, ugh.

I haven't followed your links, but my knee guards are Troy Lee. Shin/knee armor is Kali, but I only use that for lift serviced.

So, first post in the mtb forum, but as on old XC guy, I'm a big fan of knee pads. Been wearing 'em for 20yrs, xc rides and all. I created my own back in the day, when all pads were DH oriented. Justed McDavid volleyball hex pads sleeves. some I sew into pearl izumi knee pads, some just too big a pad, XL pads on my M knee don't rub and offer protection for xc style riding.

In techy trail-sy type stuff, I've hit my knees on top tubs and stems enough even when I don't crash, that I feel a bit naked without my knee sleeves...
At almost 50, I still want to be riding and skiing for 20plus years, and knees are key!

Cheers!
Wade

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish knee pads were an option for me. Even tights put enough tug on my patellas that I don't care to ride in them, but I will when it's cold enough (because cold knees and arthritis hurt!)

I am such a cautious rider, though, knock on wood...

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I have a pair of Danes trail knee pads that feel like they are barely there. I don't wear them much, but I wore them all day when we went to Vallee Bras du Nord and never noticed them. Also never fell, so I guess I didn't need them.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Have you guys seen this video of the Whole Enchilada? Looks pretty fun. I didn't realize how big that ride is. Or that they serve enchiladas at the bottom.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I nearly ran over a squirrel with a death wish. It ran out across the trail, stopped when it saw me, and ran back across as my wheel approached it. I'm pretty sure I ran over its tail, or at least tail fur, as it crossed the trail. But at least I didn't run over the dang thing's body. I choose to believe he's perfectly fine and that he just has a few pulled hairs off his tail.
I call them "Suicide Squirrels" :eek:

I own knee pads and full knee/shin combo armor!
I just got some light weight G-force shin & forearm guards about a month ago after having a day of many scrapes & bruises. The funny thing was that I cleaned all of the techy stuff but was so tired later in the day that I went down a few times while in cruise mode.
The cool thing is that I haven't fallen since I got them & I've worn them at least on the DH for every ride. They have saved me some scratches from bushes, branches & thorns. I think they were a good investment, very comfortable & not too hot.

Have you guys seen this video of the Whole Enchilada? Looks pretty fun. I didn't realize how big that ride is. Or that they serve enchiladas at the bottom.

I just watched this earlier today. I've ridden from the Kokapelli section down a couple of years ago & Porcupine a few. I was scheduled to do the whole thing last year but broke my seat-post & had to cancel.
Porcupine Rim ride 021.JPG

I must've missed the Mariachis with the enchilada. They could have at least served me a taco?

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
Yesterday afternoon I got to go hit the Powder Mountain trails again. I got one ride up there about a month ago but they have been closed due to snow & mud since then. It has been pretty dry, sunny & almost warm for the past week so things dried out enough to reopen, at least for the day.

I parked at the entrance for Woody's World & rode up to the top of Hidden Lake. From there around the back on Doctor's Dozen which connects to a slightly shortened version of the Brim loop. Then back out on Paper Airplane & down on Woody's World to the car.
PM bike map.jpg

The Paper Airplane isn't really made of paper. James Peak in the background
Paper Airplane.JPG

High above the valley
IMG_4241.JPG

Ended up being a 15 mile loop with 2000' of climbing.

Glad I got it, because a storm was approaching this morning & it's raining now, so the trails will probably get closed again.
IMG_4253.JPG

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I just got some light weight G-force shin & forearm guards about a month ago after having a day of many scrapes & bruises. The funny thing was that I cleaned all of the techy stuff but was so tired later in the day that I went down a few times while in cruise mode.
The cool thing is that I haven't fallen since I got them & I've worn them at least on the DH for every ride. They have saved me some scratches from bushes, branches & thorns. I think they were a good investment, very comfortable & not too hot.

I love G Form. I use their forearm guards a lot. Unfortunately, their largest shin guards are too small for me. I actually ended up using their knee guards for shin guards. So of course the knee guards are too tight for my knees. (They've stretched out a bit, so maybe now, but I think they would feel constrictive).

Generally at my size, a lot of brands aren't an option. When I find something that fits and is comfortable, it's a big deal.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday afternoon I got to go hit the Powder Mountain trails again. I got one ride up there about a month ago but they have been closed due to snow & mud since then. It has been pretty dry, sunny & almost warm for the past week so things dried out enough to reopen, at least for the day.

I parked at the entrance for Woody's World & rode up to the top of Hidden Lake. From there around the back on Doctor's Dozen which connects to a slightly shortened version of the Brim loop. Then back out on Paper Airplane & down on Woody's World to the car.
View attachment 31775

The Paper Airplane isn't really made of paper. James Peak in the background
View attachment 31774

High above the valley
View attachment 31776
Ended up being a 15 mile loop with 2000' of climbing.

Glad I got it, because a storm was approaching this morning & it's raining now, so the trails will probably get closed again.
View attachment 31777
This rain :(
It was supposed to be "showery" today.
Dammit!
How'd you like the climb up Woody's at PowMow? I do NOT like that climb, and I don't mind climbing!

4ster

Instructor
This rain :(
It was supposed to be "showery" today.
Dammit!
How'd you like the climb up Woody's at PowMow? I do NOT like that climb, and I don't mind climbing!
Haha you know me, why would I ride up it when there's a perfectly good road right next to it ;) took about 12 minutes.
Riding down Woody's was a dream!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Haha you know me, why would I ride up it when there's a perfectly good road right next to it ;) took about 12 minutes.
Riding down Woody's was a dream!
Oh that's right! There's also a place to park right next to the trail where it merges with Paper Airplane.
Bummed that I don't think I'll be riding up there again this year. Was planning to go on Sunday.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you guys seen this video of the Whole Enchilada? Looks pretty fun. I didn't realize how big that ride is.

That is a big ride, indeed. You can get shuttled around to the back side of Burro Pass, then climb up to it (~11k feet), then hoo-hah!

I did it with an "I'm tougher than you" group, so -- of course -- we got dropped at Warner Lake (start of Dukes) and RODE around CC to the back of Burro Pass on some obscure trails and roads. Then we rode over Burro in light snow, and things commenced getting better and better the whole way down. A huge, memorable day, esp since there were six of us, all of similar speed and ability, and we did not experience a single flat or mechanical.

Also, the beer was still ice cold when we arrived at the Sprinter, half an hour before sunset!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I attended a mountain bike clinic yesterday. It was held by a local company called Total Body Fitness. They run cycling, running, open water swimming and triathlon clinics and events in the Sacramento Valley. A friend has coached for them in open water swimming, and she's helped with their mountain bike clinic, so they came recommended.

There were two levels: Mountain Biking 101 and Mountain Bike Trail Riding. I signed up for Mountain Biking 101. I have been riding a bike for a long time (lots of road riding), but just recently started mountain biking again after a more than 20 year break. My first mountain bike was a fully rigid Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo from 1990. This year I bought my first full-suspension bike: a Marin Hawk Hill. Prior to purchasing, I rented a full-suspension bike in Tahoe, and also borrowed a friend's bike a few times. But really, I don't have much idea of how a full-suspension bike is supposed to ride or handle, and mine feels hard to handle. I have been feeling in over my head on many rides, so I thought I should get a lesson on the basics and hopefully gain some confidence and be safer that way.

There were only four people in my class: a teen-aged boy and two men who were probably early 30s. I was the old woman of the class, haha. The teen-ager had his dad there watching. I was worried at first that that would distract the coach; but there were actually two coaches for our small group, and they did a good job of distributing their attention.

After going over the basics of fueling and hydration, body position, gear selection and cadence, we did some braking drills. The coaches kept talking about people not using their front brakes. I don't have that problem, but it is Mountain Biking 101. We did a drill where we hit only the rear brake really hard and felt the rear tires kid. Then we practiced emergency stops. It was a challenge for me to actually do this! The first few tries I kept rolling through after braking. I ride clipped in, and one of the issues I've had with my bike is keeping it controlled after a sudden stop and dismount. When I finally did stop completely, I didn't have my weight back far enough and felt like I would go into the bars as I dismounted. Finally, after much encouragement and multiple tries, I got my weight way back, stopped completely and dismounted over the back wheel. That felt really good, balanced and even graceful. I will have to practice that again soon.

Next we worked on cornering and body position. Everyone seemed to have trouble getting themselves into the proper position. We were on a loop with a slight incline. I felt like maybe we weren't being extreme in our positioning because their wasn't a need on that terrain, but I don't know. There was lots of one-on-one coaching. I didn't quite get the feeling that my bike was taking the corner itself (described by the coach as being really fun), but I think I got the idea of not turning the bars. But I know this from road riding, especially on descents, you never want to "turn your wheel" much.

Then we went to a loop with a steeper ascent and descent, and practiced descending and cornering there. That was all fine, and I was getting really confident, until boom! I went down hard on the top of the ridge. Not sure what happened, but I'm sure it had to do with my front wheel. I was cornering right, getting ready for the descent and another right corner, when I got thrown off the bike to the left. I landed on my left side. I hit my left thigh and my head (helmet).

Nobody really saw me fall, but there was a deep hole, probably less than a foot wide, at the top of the ridge, just before the right turn to descend there. I had seen it when we were doing the loop in the opposite direction. When we switched to descending the steeper side, I lost track of the hole because we started the descent in stages (starting below the hole). The time I fell was the first time I was going around in the new direction without stopping at the top. Nobody really saw me fall (although the coach behind me heard my helmet hit). But I think I must have hit the hole and not had my front wheel straight when I hit it. Ouch.

I didn't lose consciousness, but I really hate the sound of my helmet hitting. And although I didn't think I had any broken bones, I could tell from the way my leg felt that I was going to have lots of swelling and bruising. The coach wanted me to ride the corner and descend one more time, to end on a good note,so I did. I put ice on my leg for a bit, and then we worked on wheel lifts. I was happy to learn the technique for these, because I had been trying on my own but really wasn't getting it. I couldn't lift very far, but at least I know the technique now. I tried rear wheel lifts a little, but my pedal settings are too loose, and I was also feeling a little shaky. I also discovered that in the crash, the attachment point for the tightening mechanism had ripped off the body of my helmet, so I actually couldn't tighten my helmet anymore. I called it a day.

I drove the 50 minutes home, but ended up going to urgent care,because when I got home I could barely walk with all the swelling on my quad. Xray confirmed no fracture. The young doctor scoldingly told me that this was "why you have to be more careful when you get older!" I AM more careful!

So today, I have the typical post-crash feeling of all-over soreness, but my quad actually feels much better, and I can almost limp without pain. I'll be staying off my bike for the next week or so, and I'll be replacing my helmet, but I hope to be out there again soon.

Sorry this is such a long post, but I don't have much else to do while elevating and icing :).

Sponsor

Staff online