• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Needless to say, I've found that cleanliness of the drive train is paramount to good shifting performance. I'm a bit obsessive, but my riding benefits significantly from it.

No doubt. And I agree. It hasn't been an issue yet with the new bike (and hence new drive train), but especially when I was on a small frame with multiple rings up front - getting it tuned to shift all the way through was a bear, and then almost any ride would knock it out or grunge it up enough to cause trouble.

It would be better yet if I would stop the bad habit of shifting under load ... mostly I'm well behaved, but when I'm not, it's so loud. I can just feel the system straining.

Apparently, mud got into my brake calipers and was causing drag on my disk -> wheel. Not sure if that was during the ride or got knocked in when I started hosing. I think I got it all out.

Hey, how is your bike after fall? Is everything in working order?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm doing well. I'm weaning myself off the Percocet. I'm down to half a tab every 4 to 6 hours. 1 to 2 every 4 hours are permitted. Pain is present, but not at all unexpected. My neck is a bit stiff but I plan to walk some today and hopefully fully body movement will help that. I'm sleeping fine. Even coughing is not the trip to hell that it used to be. The most persistent discomfort is now on the clavicle not the ribs. There isn't any significant bruising; I've been taking Arnica Montana orally to help with that. I've only been working partial days so as not to stress the noggin.

I ordered a new helmet, just like the other one except for color. I was a little surprised Giro didn't want the old one back. It looked pristine after the fall so I'm still a bit stymied by the process that led to the concussion. I have time now to overhaul my rear shock with the parts that just arrived.

I just realized after detailing my personal recovery that you inquired about the bike's condition, not mine. :huh: The rear tire went flat after the wreck, but was definitely not flat when K walked it home. Everything else looks intact. I'll know better when I can put a leg over the saddle and give it a realistic test ride. The shock was due for an overhaul; I was experiencing sticktion. It may have contributed to the crash, but is not likely.

:beercheer:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I use a particular bottle with a useless (for drinking) opening. It is super small thus fires off a thin stream under extra pressure. Sometimes you have to manually remove the bulk before the water can help.

There was a race in Maine one summer a long time ago where each lap had a section that went through an unmowed field that was muddy to walk through, much less try to ride. It was like adobe if you didn't get it out before it dried. Some carried, others rode then cleaned. The people that didn't finish rode then didn't clean. It was that bad.

Needless to say, I've found that cleanliness of the drive train is paramount to good shifting performance. I'm a bit obsessive, but my riding benefits significantly from it.
Oh boy, SO true!

Found out the race is maybe not really a "race", and the course really isn't even ready yet. Oh well. Might go up there and enjoy the music festival anyway.

Heading to Grand Targhee in two weeks. I've heard the trails there are amazing. Super excited!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm doing well. I'm weaning myself off the Percocet. I'm down to half a tab every 4 to 6 hours. 1 to 2 every 4 hours are permitted. Pain is present, but not at all unexpected. My neck is a bit stiff but I plan to walk some today and hopefully fully body movement will help that. I'm sleeping fine. Even coughing is not the trip to hell that it used to be. The most persistent discomfort is now on the clavicle not the ribs. There isn't any significant bruising; I've been taking Arnica Montana orally to help with that. I've only been working partial days so as not to stress the noggin.

I ordered a new helmet, just like the other one except for color. I was a little surprised Giro didn't want the old one back. It looked pristine after the fall so I'm still a bit stymied by the process that led to the concussion. I have time now to overhaul my rear shock with the parts that just arrived.

I just realized after detailing my personal recovery that you inquired about the bike's condition, not mine. :huh: The rear tire went flat after the wreck, but was definitely not flat when K walked it home. Everything else looks intact. I'll know better when I can put a leg over the saddle and give it a realistic test ride. The shock was due for an overhaul; I was experiencing sticktion. It may have contributed to the crash, but is not likely.

Well, I'm interested in both :)

I have had (very minor) concussions in which the helmet showed no wear. That was skiing, though.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While riding the Brim Trail at Powder Mountain yesterday, I could not help taking this shot of Snowbasin in the distance. Can't wait to see it covered in snow in about 3 months!
image2.JPG

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Lost Dog Ride!
The name comes from a few years back when my friends dog went missing. It was a long day but all turned out well.
The ride climbs up to Scott Lake from the top of Luther Pass. Then descends
IMG_3925.JPG

to Big Meadow before a steep climb to Round Lake
IMG_3928.JPG

Finishing with a couple thousand foot decent through lots of semi-techie rock gardens to Christmas Valley.
IMG_3933.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 3

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Oh boy, SO true!

Found out the race is maybe not really a "race", and the course really isn't even ready yet. Oh well. Might go up there and enjoy the music festival anyway.

Heading to Grand Targhee in two weeks. I've heard the trails there are amazing. Super excited!

We were at Grand Targhee hiking a few weeks ago, and the bike trails look amazeballs. And the views! So awesome! I posted pictures on ski diva if you want to take a look!

If you can take the time, do some hiking to, because the views from the hiking trails on the other side of the resort are incredible!

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh boy, SO true!

I rode Targhee area last summer and going back for the eclipse viewing and biking next week. Favorite rides are Mill creek to Coulters run climb to Targhee then Action Jackson. Rick's Basin has great views. Favorites near Targhee are Phillips ridge, arrow and sno-tel on Teton Pass. The Horseshoe trail area nears Driggs is fun with great views. Have fun!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Took a Lee likes bikes class with my girls yesterday. What a revelation and we spent most of our time in the parking lot and on the pump track. I'm going to get rid of my clipless pedals for a while as a result of the class. I also crashed in what seemed like an easy crash but seem to have cracked a rib. Last night was painful.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like the class, not the cracked rib! I too have gone to flat pedals for now and other than more pedal strikes due to a larger pedals I'm liking them. Occasionally I lose contact with them when I try to pull up on a technical uphill.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Took a Lee likes bikes class with my girls yesterday. What a revelation and we spent most of our time in the parking lot and on the pump track. I'm going to get rid of my clipless pedals for a while as a result of the class. I also crashed in what seemed like an easy crash but seem to have cracked a rib. Last night was painful.

<3 my flats. Dislike the cracked ribs!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

You have my commiseration. I feel your pain. Really, I do.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Does girls mean "daughters" or "daughter(s) plus wife(wives?)"? Just curious, and curious what the ladies thought (and for the kids, their ages). Were you all in the same lesson group, or separated? Did they separate by skill level or interest at all?

And hey - what did you learn??

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, the heat really wiped me out today so my ride was a rough one but I got it done. Due to trips to Chile, England, and France and my mom's double bypass in between over the next 3 weeks I'm out until after Labor Day. What a weird feeling.

View attachment 27871

Beautiful bike, beautiful view.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Hey, quick question - this is where the O ring ended up after my clinic - ie, after a bunch of jumps, drops, etc. Is this too much sag , or just right? I have been perfectly happy with the behavior, but I wonder if it's too close to bottoming out.

20170726_082807.jpg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did they recommend riding flats? I just started mountain biking again, was having a lot of trouble today engaging one of my cleats with the pedal. Had to ride lots of loose, sandy downhills with one foot loose (not by choice). Kind of scary. Was thinking flat might be easier to deal with, but I'm also a roadie and am so used to clipless.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I rode Targhee area last summer and going back for the eclipse viewing and biking next week. Favorite rides are Mill creek to Coulters run climb to Targhee then Action Jackson. Rick's Basin has great views. Favorites near Targhee are Phillips ridge, arrow and sno-tel on Teton Pass. The Horseshoe trail area nears Driggs is fun with great views. Have fun!
Thanks for the trail tips!