• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
20170809_121449.jpg
20170809_141351.jpg
I did hole in the ground off donner pass today. Really challenged me but the scenery and variety of the terrain was worth the efforts
20170809_144128.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Speaking of holes in the ground. I believe it was in this thread that we discussed test pits and their hazards to mountain biking.

Here is one that is purposely part of the trail and can be ridden for full laps around the top.

20170802_121554.jpg

Other pits can be less hospitable. I'll try to get a picture of one or two of those when I'm out riding (again.)

20170720_115039.jpg

The Jessie Mill at the north end of Gold Run Gulch.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Reno really does have some amazing riding right from town if you're into flowy xc trails. ...which I am all about. View attachment 27737 View attachment 27738

I like that kind of trail too. How hot is it? Doesn't look like much shade!
Its been terrible hot lately but we just had some storms run through that cooled if off a lot! Yesterday when Brian was riding it was in the high 80's, but there's usually a breeze up there, so that helps.

View attachment 27759 View attachment 27760 I did hole in the ground off donner pass today. Really challenged me but the scenery and variety of the terrain was worth the efforts View attachment 27761
I just like it when you do this routine because you come to our house and cook.
It was great having you for dinner.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It's super wet down here. Good for forcing me to study. Bad for letting me get some stress relief by riding. I may test one of the trails tomorrow morning ... before the next thunderstorm ...

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's super wet down here. Good for forcing me to study. Bad for letting me get some stress relief by riding. I may test one of the trails tomorrow morning ... before the next thunderstorm ...

Marshall Mesa was dry on Sunday except a few spots. It's pretty exposed so should dry relatively quickly.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Marshall Mesa was dry on Sunday except a few spots. It's pretty exposed so should dry relatively quickly.

Yeah - I've been thinking about that. But driving to Marshall Mesa when I'm not already in Boulder is a pretty long haul. Rabbit is also pretty sun exposed, so I'll likely try that tomorrow morning if it's not already raining cats and dogs ... but I've had some pretty crazy experiences with the mud on the Little Thompson Overlook part of Rabbit in the past. So much sticky mud my wheels would stop turning. I guess I'll find out one way or the other.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Big storms blew through here this afternoon. I bet the soil is going to be tacky tomorrow.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Its been showery up here all week so the dirts been better than normal. I'm reduced to after work night rides for the next several days but something about a meteor shower coming up I'm gonna have to get on that.

I dropped down to Reno to take the Carson Valley route back to kwood as I wanted to avoid traffic and needed groceries/home depot. You're right that was some big showers that blew across Reno and man was the air pleasant on the drive back. Really looking forward to September when it cools a bit and the masses slack off a little (assumption?)

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Big storms blew through here this afternoon. I bet the soil is going to be tacky tomorrow.
Wild that it stormed in Reno this afternoon, I was hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail off Luther Pass and it was beautiful! Saw lots of mountain bikes between Big Meadow and Round Lake. Went down to Lake Tahoe after the hike and had a nice refreshing swim. Beautiful afternoon.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@4ster did everyone clean that wood thingie?

That would be a definite "nope" for me - unless it's much easier than it looks.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I rode the full Rabbit this morning - up the initial climb, left up to Little Thompson Overlook, then right and across the dirt road to the Eagle Wind Loop. About 6 miles total.

I remember this area as having a few tough rocky sections, but overall being a trail where I could ride all but a few very specific spots. And I complained earlier about how they'd sanitized the initial climb, so I guess I'd expected the rest of the ride to have been cleaned up, too. But wow, there's a lot of rock. I had forgotten how "fun" it is to slam my pelvic bone into the headset. I also tipped over a few times, and just plain walked some sections. I even had one of those tips where you end up with the handlebars trapping your body against the bike ... good times. But despite all of this, or maybe because of it, I enjoyed the ride. Had to wash chunks of mud off my legs when I got back home, which I haven't done in a long time and which made me smile.

Views from the Little Thompson Overlook:

20170810_094051.jpg
20170810_094056.jpg

Here's a view down part of the segment I rode with the Pivot Firebird a week or two ago. Interesting - I thought the SB5 handled it better, or at least just as well. I suppose slow, small, continuous rocks may not be the ideal test case for the Firebird.
20170810_100243.jpg

In retrospect - Rabbit's trails were never well designed to mitigate erosion. I suspect a lot of rock was exposed with the floods several years ago. Obviously, it's not possible that I've become a more timid rider since I last visited Rabbit ... (Oh, yes, it's possible. But I don't think that's the whole story.)

I was conscious of not wanting to damage the trail, and I think I did pretty well, aside from some extremely slick puddles that made my bike fishtail. I left a very light tire print on the dirt in a few places, and there's enough rock that in many places there was no chance of a tire print at all. Still, the clay mud stuck to absolutely everything - my bike, me ...

There was a controlled burn a couple of days ago, which made some of the sections sort of spooky and gave the whole area a mild, oddly pleasant campfire smell.
20170810_101043.jpg

My poor bike after all the fun:
20170810_112438.jpg

I even somehow got dirt chunks stuck to the seat.

Yes, @AmyPJ , I did actually hose it down immediately when I got back!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
@4ster did everyone clean that wood thingie?

That would be a definite "nope" for me - unless it's much easier than it looks.

Just 2 of us today. Patrick made it first try. I hit my pedal right at the top & dabbed on first attempt. Cleaned it second try :) .

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yaay for clean bikes!
I am considering entering a race next weekend at Beaver Mountain. I have NO idea what the course is like, as it was just cut a year ago, with more opened recently. Thinking I'll go scope it out tomorrow. I am enticed by the age divisions for this race. I have no interest in trying to compete with 20- and 30-somethings. But, at least according to Strava, I'm not exactly a slowpoke when I ride, particularly amongst my age peers.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
*eyeroll* Just say you're fast! You are!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Monique , I like to carry an extra water bottle for days when the trails will be muddy. I quick squirt of water on the chain and derailleurs to remove built up mud can help them run smoothly and reduce wear on the components.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Monique , I like to carry an extra water bottle for days when the trails will be muddy. I quick squirt of water on the chain and derailleurs to remove built up mud can help them run smoothly and reduce wear on the components.

Oh, good idea! I didn't have anything with me that would squirt effectively. Although this "dirt" was so heavy with clay that even the strongest hose setting took quite a while.

My eyes got super red last night and itchy/dry, and they're still itchy today and a little red. Can you have a delayed reaction to smoke particles, I wonder?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I use a particular bottle with a useless (for drinking) opening. It is super small thus fires off a thin stream under extra pressure. Sometimes you have to manually remove the bulk before the water can help.

There was a race in Maine one summer a long time ago where each lap had a section that went through an unmowed field that was muddy to walk through, much less try to ride. It was like adobe if you didn't get it out before it dried. Some carried, others rode then cleaned. The people that didn't finish rode then didn't clean. It was that bad.

Needless to say, I've found that cleanliness of the drive train is paramount to good shifting performance. I'm a bit obsessive, but my riding benefits significantly from it.