• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, this weekend I finally got the bike off of its hook for the first time this season (yes, I know it's August, :P). I didn't go far, I sure didn't go fast, and I didn't even go anywhere interesting, but it still felt good to finally get a ride in. :D

That's great!

My knee was pretty trashed after my trip to Utah, so I've only had about a 45 minute ride - if that - to demo the Firebird in the last 2-3 weeks; otherwise pretty inactive =/ And now that my knee seems up to it (?), we seem to have monsoon season.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
That's great!

My knee was pretty trashed after my trip to Utah, so I've only had about a 45 minute ride - if that - to demo the Firebird in the last 2-3 weeks; otherwise pretty inactive =/ And now that my knee seems up to it (?), we seem to have monsoon season.

Seem??? It's basically rained (scratch that... poured) every day since July 7th.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Seem??? It's basically rained (scratch that... poured) every day since July 7th.

I remember it being really hot and dry through mid-July.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Not in the mountains...started raining 2/3 days after the Breck/Frisco fire started and basically hasn't quit.

Ah!

Yes, very different scenario down here. It's just started in the last week.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not in the mountains...started raining 2/3 days after the Breck/Frisco fire started and basically hasn't quit.

Do you think that will make for a bad trail experience during the upcoming Breck Epic Stage Race, or just the frosting on the cake?

I've got four friends participating, with most driving a LONG ways, so I'm hoping it works out for them.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
The trails hold up really well so I'd say no. They will probably get wet but I'd think with a few exceptions the trails will hold up pretty well but I'm not familiar with all the the parts of the whole race.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Riding just outside of Breck and accessing some manmade "terrain" with my son while his brother was running at Altitude Camp.

View attachment 27543

View attachment 27544

Riding on rails of wood freaked me out. I felt much more at home coming back down Jack's Cruel Trick with some tasty rock gardens and narrow root and rocky ledge trail.

View attachment 27545

Jack's Cruel Joke is aptly named. I once went down B-line on an exploratory. Never again. I like my tires on the dirt.

The beginning of my ride on Friday:
20170804_134038.jpg

And the end. I am standing where my bike was. The crushed and disturbed grass is where I landed and 'slept' for about 8 minutes. I guess that was about a 10 - 12 foot flight.
20170806_181304_Forest Hills Drive.jpg

My helmet has no apparent damage, but is going back to Giro for review.

The beginning of my recovery involved walking the Leadville disc golf course on Sunday morning.
20170806_111210.jpg

Percocet during the day with Valium added at night has been keeping me feeling less than miserable. Coughing is part of the 'treatement' to encourage my partially collapsed lung to recover. Deep breathing with a Inspirometer measures my progress. I was at over 3000 ml in the hospital, but the less effective pain meds have me waivering aroung 2570 and 3000 now.

I'm happy to be up and about, such as it is. Gravity is good. The sudden, unexpected application of earth, not so much.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well, if it makes you feel any better, after 25 years of crashless riding, I finally tipped one over..on the road bike no less. I was running my mouth about helmets and never wearing one blahblah and I fortunately had a very low speed tumble. But that got me thinking..you know, I'm getting old..my skills might be sliding..maybe I'm THAT guy..who didn't recognize it's time to slow down. So I got a new helmet and am actually using it. Funny how kids change you perspective! ogsmile

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Jack's Cruel Joke is aptly named. I once went down B-line on an exploratory. Never again. I like my tires on the dirt.

The beginning of my ride on Friday:
View attachment 27727

And the end. I am standing where my bike was. The crushed and disturbed grass is where I landed and 'slept' for about 8 minutes. I guess that was about a 10 - 12 foot flight.
View attachment 27728

My helmet has not apparent damage, but is going back to Giro for review.

The beginning of my recovery involved walking the Leadville disc golf course on Sunday morning.
View attachment 27729

Percocet during the day with Valium added at night has been keeping me feeling less than miserable. Coughing is part of the 'treatement' to encourage my partially collapsed lung to recover. Deep breathing with a Inspirometer measures my progress. I was at over 3000 ml in the hospital, but the less effective pain meds have me waivering aroung 2570 and 3000 now.

I'm happy to be up and about, such as it is. Gravity is good. The sudden, unexpected application of earth, not so much.

Wow! Glad you are recovering...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Wow! Glad you are recovering...

Thanks. Never quickly enough, though. I was hoping to camp and ski on Rollins Pass this month. Time will tell...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Doug Briggs, any idea what caused your crash?
I'm grateful for being a cautious chicken. And yet, sometimes shit just happens, right?!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was having a good run down this section of the Upper Flume. It is single track all the way and there are a few twists and turns above where I fell, but nothing that felt off. There is usually some loose gravel just before the bridge. I suspect I just had a little more drift in the front wheel and went down to the inside. My natural instinct, honed over decades of falling, is to get small, bring in the extremeties; tuck and roll. I must expect that's what I did. The 4x4 on the side of the bridge and a rock or two hiding in the grass are likely culprits for what ever it was that I hit. No marks on my helmet, so I don't know what concussed me. My teeth feel fine so I'm guessing my lower jaw didn't bash my upper jaw. The only pain in my head is a VERY slight bump above and slightly forward of the left temple. I'm writing it up to operator error in not properly assessing the traction or failing to push my inside bar down hard enough. I'll never know.

This was a very familiar section of trail and if I'd had any errors above, I'd have slowed down to be on the safe side, but it was was smooth running...

...until it wasn't.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We have a few bridges near where I ride that always seem to have some loose dirt/gravel on the approach. I am always overly cautious when approaching them, and your crash is a perfect example why. I've had some near misses in the past two weeks due to the trails just being chewed up and dry this late in the season.

I'm really sorry you got hurt so badly. Ribs in particular-ack! So painful.

Sponsor