• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wow, I love my flat pedals, but I didn't consider this additional benefit!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, I love my flat pedals, but I didn't consider this additional benefit!

I can do either on my pedals and often ride unclipped during technical sections but this particular area wasn't very technical so I had no reason to unclip until the oncoming traffic arrived.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I can do either on my pedals and often ride unclipped during technical sections but this particular area wasn't very technical so I had no reason to unclip until the oncoming traffic arrived.

*nod* While I'm all for a lively debate about the merits of clipless vs flats, I don't have the energy for it right now ;-) Anyway, I'm sorry that happened - sounds scary!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
*nod* While I'm all for a lively debate about the merits of clipless vs flats, I don't have the energy for it right now ;-) Anyway, I'm sorry that happened - sounds scary!

Didn't realize I was suggesting a debate? In fact, I think it's pretty clear that I can see the benefit of riding both ways.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Didn't realize I was suggesting a debate? In fact, I think it's pretty clear that I can see the benefit of riding both ways.

Yeah, just ignore that sentence. I've had a crap day and am not organizing thoughts successfully.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So..my shoes are done..am I crazy dropping $300 for new shoes???? Help me out here folks... Perfectly good price, right!?! :huh:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So..my shoes are done..am I crazy dropping $300 for new shoes???? Help me out here folks... Perfectly good price, right!?! :huh:

I spend a lot of dough, but what makes them worth $300?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I spend a lot of dough, but what makes them worth $300?

Quite possibly best shoes EVARRRRRRR... I had my last pair for 20 years and I'm only replacing them because the sole is worn out..and that's saying something in a cycling shoe!! :)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I was having a rough day today before I realized that the weather was nice enough to ride. I got out on my mountain bike for essentially the first time since 1.5 years ago when I superman'd, giving myself bursitis and a split chin (five stitches!). With that in mind and the knee untested, I rode the three first, easy miles of Picture Rock, out and back.

It was so good for me! I learned that I can trust my knee if I have to stop abruptly and put my foot down. I walked a lot of stuff, some of which I was surprised to find myself walking. I rode some stuff, some of which I was surprised to find myself riding. I decided not to push it with basically zero fitness and not being sure how my knee would feel on the descent. Good call. I can ride the whole thing later.

20170309_142605.jpg
20170309_145920.jpg
20170309_145930.jpg

Also, speaking of spending money, I am looking at demo'ing the Ellsworth Rogue 40 this summer, after I get my base back.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Quite possibly best shoes EVARRRRRRR... I had my last pair for 20 years and I'm only replacing them because the sole is worn out..and that's saying something in a cycling shoe!! :)

20 years? Go for it! $300 is nothing.

rj2

Still using the same poles from the 70s
Skier
Boots are double that, so yes. Sidi Drako closeouts at Performance Bike for $299 – 20%.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I want to know what the last pair were, lasting 20 yrs!

Sidi Dominators. Still wearing one of the road versions that I bought in 1999. And when they finally die, I'll replace with the same thing. @scott43 buy them again and don't think twice about it. $15 per year? You probably lose more change from your pockets than that on an annual basis just by sitting on sofas.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sweet new ride, @coskigirl! I'm hoping to upgrade my Trek Lush S to a new carbon Trek this season--new bikes are fun!

Sweet!

Work, business travel, running, and skiing has gotten in the way of riding the last couple of weeks but I'll be back at it after my trip to the U.K. Week after next. I'm the meantime I look at her longingly every time I pull in the garage. Using my REI dividend and member coupon to buy a hitch rack this week.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It's looking like I'm selling my motorcycle this spring, meaning I'll have the money to buy a new mountain bike sooner than expected!

A friend of mine loves her Pivot Switchblade. I'm definitely looking for carbon and I *think* 1x ... (although my friend says 1x didn't go low enough for her) .. something 27.5 or 27.5+ ... pretty big budget ...

I do love my Ellsworths, so I'm eyeing the new Rogue 40. No shops nearby, but there's a demo apparently available near Co Springs ...

So many options!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a maddening conversation about hitch racks at REI today. I had played with their floor sample of the Thule and the Yakima and ruled out the Yakima because the release handle took two hands. I asked the sales guy about the Kuat which something like this:

Me: What about the Kuat?
Him: A Kwat? (I'm thinking he's correcting my pronunciation here) Those sold out as soon as the member coupon came out but you can order it. It's just like that one (he points to the Thule) but holds 4.
Me: I don't need to hold 4.
Him: Oh, then we have those.
Me: But you don't have a floor sample?
Him: Points to the Thule again.
Me: I'm asking about the Kuat, you know, a different brand?
Him: Oh, I thought when you said Kuat you meant quad.

I hate it when sales people at sports stores assume I don't know anything about gear.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ugh.

FWIW, I've been nothing but happy with my two-bike Thule.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January