• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Those were pork ribs, yeah, and the little guys are sliced portabella mushrooms with olive oil salt and pepper. Yummy!

The crianza was good and will last for about a week if I behave. I am using a heavy inert gas wine preserver so it's a simple spray of gas and recork, and in to the fridge :thumb:

A week! Holy cow, you have self restraint.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Recovering from a cold. Can almost smell now. So in my happy place with this everyday blend that's new to me. I would have sworn it was mostly dolcetto - it's that's easy and sweet-fruited, without the slightest hint of cloy. (Be gone, new world purple syrups!) Turns out it's half barbera and only 11% dolcetto. Possibly the best sausage wine ever?

20180125_192703-01.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
upload_2018-2-5_21-3-53.png
I had some of this tonight, don't know much about it but it was very good. A gift from a friend that is like a family member.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
In my defense, it does say winery on it. On its own it is pure honeyed syrup with a barely detectable fizz. But as a mix tool it is quite useful. IMG_20180206_095052.jpg

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had a couple merlots (Paradigm-CA, and Pedestal-WA) at the 10th at mid-Vail the other day. Both winners.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IMG_20180306_145042.jpg because happy hour prosecco is now cliché...

Refreshing to put sour beers to shame, superfine bubbles are really cleansing the salsa verde from the palate

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Post Gathering wines in my souvenirs:
1C1E049B-5D28-493B-9DBC-6998742C5ABD.jpeg 62E9D0E6-0165-438D-BC02-F8DDACF7B288.jpeg
Forgot to get a glass at Snowbasin.

If you like “funky” natural wines, I’d recommend the above red. One of my faves.

Uncle-A

Skier
upload_2018-3-24_20-10-56.png
When my daughter went to Italy a while ago she purchased this and we opened it tonight. Very Good, I do not drink a lot of Brunello so I can not compare it to others. All I can say is that it is good and I liked it.

Uncle-A

Skier
View attachment 42605
When my daughter went to Italy a while ago she purchased this and we opened it tonight. Very Good, I do not drink a lot of Brunello so I can not compare it to others. All I can say is that it is good and I liked it.
The Brunello was so good that it did not last long so we opened this next and it was even better.
upload_2018-3-24_20-43-11.png

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Brunello was so good that it did not last long so we opened this next and it was even better.
View attachment 42606

co worker of mine loves Amarones .. understand they're made a wee differently, more dried grape. thought I read some very dry grapes.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This was recommended by one of my local retail mavens. It may surprise @mdf, but I actually like Priorats and - especially, because they're cheaper - Montsants.

This wine had a lot going for it, but misses the mark, glowing reviews notwithstanding. Very pretty to the eye. Changeable nose with a lot of black cherry, pipe tobacco, and a cheesy note that I can't decide if I like. Long finish with moderate but pleasing and fine tannins. I just can't get past the slightly sweet liqueur-like palate. Were they worried that fermenting out all the sugar would make it too alcoholic? (It surely would have.) If so, maybe they picked too late? I'd love to see a wine from this terroir made buy a more traditionalist winemaker with a higher tolerance for austerity. Not that I think this should be an austere bottle! Just that, structurally, this needs just a bit more edge to keep me wanting that next sip ... and to cut through the richness of the short ribs now braising in the oven!

For context, I needed a half bottle for the stew, so I grabbed a bottle of mass market Chilean swill merlot. It was not really bad, but, you know, jameric . Opened the Priorat so I could drink some "real" wine. Stunning, really, how similar they turned out to be. Yes, the Porerra has a whole lot more going on, with some nice shape-shifting in the nose and finish. But at the core,.they're both ... well, juice.

http://www.europeancellars.com/wine/black-slate-porrera/

20180408_172053-01.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online