• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've had it before, so no surprises Normally my preference is Central Coast, Santa Barbara, Maria etc. but this one's very elegant for a 14.5%. I think De Loach is super great value for money. Can really reccomend it and you can drink it young!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Awesome! One of my goals in life is not to become a wine snob, and stay at the happy wino level. Luckily, I despise white wine, which immediately keeps me safe: a lot of the wine out there I just don't care about. So, I'll happily have salmon with a red wine, f*** the pairing :D Sparkling is fine (the house bubbles are Gloria Ferrer blanc de noirs) . But anyways, I probably would have respectfully taken a little sip of the Pacherenc and waited for the reds. :wine:

Supertuscans: I don't know what's wrong with me, maybe bad luck, I have never had one that I really liked. Being out of 'specs' should let the winemaker do better, one would think (why would less constrains not be helpful?). Anyways, hope it was tasty. How about that burgundy, was it still alive? I love older wine, I really do. I just, very rarely get to have one. Good for you.

Cheers!
Since you are in the area, you ought to consider Napa WIne Academy. I'm not affiliated in any way, but my buddy is an instructor there. I mean, if you can tolerate socializing with a snowboarder :). They do fun, unpretentious, hands on (palate on?) stuff and just knowing his personality, I bet he is a blast in the classroom.

Super Tuscans I've generally been unimpressed with. They need LOTS of age. And I'm just not sure that CS, etc really allow them to make better wine than Sangio, Corvina, Rondinella, etc. The one last night was 90% Sangio and 10% CS, which is rare restraint for a super tuscan. IMHO, that is how the rules ought to be broken, but now you see many tuscans with no Sangio at all. Dull. Overdone. And was a 1990, so, age. But in general, I agree 100%.

BTW, Pacherenc + Foie pate will convert you to white wine!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Super Tuscans aren't all big dull new world wanna-bes. Some are just tweaked classics. Case in point: Le Pergole Torte. Amazing stuff... now unfortunately far out of my price range. :(

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
13626637_10154463031613706_4628603445293153442_n.jpg

Holds a 750 ML bottle of wine and makes you look good too, find it on the web under wine bra.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Super Tuscans aren't all big dull new world wanna-bes. Some are just tweaked classics. Case in point: Le Pergole Torte. Amazing stuff... now unfortunately far out of my price range. :(
I don't doubt it. My criticism is a general one. There are bound to be exceptions!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Since you are in the area, you ought to consider Napa WIne Academy. I'm not affiliated in any way, but my buddy is an instructor there. I mean, if you can tolerate socializing with a snowboarder :). They do fun, unpretentious, hands on (palate on?) stuff and just knowing his personality, I bet he is a blast in the classroom.
!

No way, my friend. Next thing you know I'll be saying crap like "pencil lead", and "boysenberry" and such. That's exactly what will turn me into a snob. Now, if I ever fulfill my dream of making wines, I will need help from you and your buddies :D

Super Tuscans I've generally been unimpressed with. They need LOTS of age. And I'm just not sure that CS, etc really allow them to make better wine than Sangio, Corvina, Rondinella, etc. The one last night was 90% Sangio and 10% CS, which is rare restraint for a super tuscan. IMHO, that is how the rules ought to be broken, but now you see many tuscans with no Sangio at all. Dull. Overdone. And was a 1990, so, age. But in general, I agree 100%.

It's funny, or scary, or both. I was chatting with my buddy from NY and saying pretty much the same! Sangiovese is a beautiful grape, but rather subtle. And most of the time it shines when the winemaker hits the right acidity. That's what makes a nice Chianti, for instance. Of course, Brunellos are more like a monster Sangio. But, anyways, supertuscans seem to blend too much of other stuff, very frequently Cab, like you noted. The Cab doesn't seem great, anyways, and the Sangio is not allowed to shine.

Now, i'd love to try the blend mentioned by @Tony S !
:wine::wine:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Awesome! One of my goals in life is not to become a wine snob, and stay at the happy wino level.

Cheers!

It takes a high level of training and dedication to be a wine snob :P:thumb: Seriously, no one looking on bothers to discern the difference so you may as well. ;)

Awesome! One of my goals in life is not to become a wine snob, and stay at the happy wino level. Luckily, I despise white wine, which immediately keeps me safe: a lot of the wine out there I just don't care about. So, I'll happily have salmon with a red wine, f*** the pairing :D Sparkling is fine (the house bubbles are Gloria Ferrer blanc de noirs) .

From your wording here I'm guessing you have yet to have any of the Ozzy red sparklers, Black Chook &c.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
It takes a high level of training and dedication to be a wine snob :P:thumb: Seriously, no one looking on bothers to discern the difference so you may as well. ;)

From your wording here I'm guessing you have yet to have any of the Ozzy red sparklers, Black Chook &c.

My friend, who is a bona fide "wine expert" spent 6 years of higher education, many years of post grad, travel and internship, etc. By the way, the vast majority of winemakers are not "wine experts", not in the sense of the comprehensive knowledge that a Master of Wine has.

I've had a few Aussie red sparklers. Every time I visit Australia somebody wants to convince me that they are special. I remain unconvinced.