• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
http://www.grubstreet.com/2017/10/california-wineries-may-have-helped-contain-wildfires.html

California’s wildfires in Napa and Sonoma have now claimed 31 lives and scorched an area equivalent to four Disney Worlds, but there’s at least a little good news thanks to the two valleys’ wineries. According to the L.A. Times, which checked to see how they’d held up, many vineyards in the burn areas emerged “largely unscathed,” miraculously. The story says their “lush rows of green vines stand in stark contrast” to the surrounding forestland that’s charred and nearby residential neighborhoods that are all but completely torched.

The economic toll is expected to be massive, but despite initial reports of heavy losses (oenophiles briefly reckoned with the fear that they’d maybe lost Robert Mondavi Winery and Stag’s Leap), the paper suggests that vineyards’ buildings suffered barely any damage. The night-and-day difference between their green vines and the burned-out suburbs near Santa Rosa is “remarkable,” it says. One winemaker in Napa says his property’s wildland “all burned … except the vineyard.” Another winery, Signorello Estate, lost its tasting room, but somehow its 40 acres of vines, some decades-old, are still intact. “The fire just came up to the edge of the vineyard and stopped,” the owner tells the Times.

The head of Napa Valley Grapegrowers says it’s become clear that wineries actually “saved property and lives in Napa County,” and that in some cases fires stopped so abruptly, it was “as if you drew a line in the grass.” Experts believe that the patches of verdant, well-irrigated land served as firebreaks, helping contain the flames.

Another plus: About 85 percent of grapes had already been harvested, so the risk of so-called “smoke taint” is actually quite low. There’s still plenty for winery owners to be bummed about — many of them have had to shutter their tasting rooms, heat damage to vines remains a big unknown, and they’ll have to find ways to protect grapes from adjacent burn areas’ runoff. But at least one winemaker tells the Times that he was ab

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Fifteen dollar sleeper from Penedès. It's like Côte de Beaune meets Chianti. With five years on it. Yummy. Spanish rice dish, here we come.

20171019_182828.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_9176-02.jpeg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At the very end ofthe bottle there was this intense blueberry / boysenberry thing going on. Bizarre and wonderful.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This goes into the "Foote Notes" section of the journal. Big, highly extracted, in-your-face glass of wine. Photo does not do justice to the depth of color nor the sheen of the thing. Smells like a Côte Rôtie did it with a Chateauneuf. Lots of dark, briary, meaty aromas, plus that acrid medicinal whiff I associate with good syrah. (No idea whether there's actually syrah in this.) Like iodine and ankle tape in the next room. The fruit flies are staying away; they can't hack it.

On the palate dense, tannic, bitter, but loads of fruit as well. The The structural elements focus that fruit into a laser rather than an aimless bomb. Just gorgeous. Not cheap at $25; nevertheless a stunning value. 92/100. @mdf!

20171108_190032-01.jpeg 20171108_185303-01.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL. Didn't pull that thing out with dinner in mind. Just wanted to try it. Made a perfectly okay little pasta dish with roasted peppers and delicata squash and chicken stock and pine nuts and some pecorino. Honestly it was probably a pinot grigio dish. What a dope. The wine paved it over. The only thing that worked was the few niçoise olives I tossed in. Otherwise ... should have made venison or something.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Cleaning house. Recycle time. Artifacts of the analog age.

20171111_140819.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And now for something completely different ... and disgusting, imho. Looked so promising.

20171116_184130-01.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Something a little different from our usual that we really enjoyed last night. There is only 4 percent viogner but it adds a nice note.
20171123_122135.jpg

Next up, a trip to the cellar to pick something for tonight.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Cool.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
GetWineImage.ashx
Just washed down the turkey with this! Hand carried from South Africa. Delicious. Any wine aficionado owes it to yourself to go to Cape Town South Africa and then head up to SA wine county, only short car ride away. Some of the oldest vineyards in the world: many from the 17th century-- this one est. 1685. At the current exchange rate, you can purchase the same quality wines that would cost over $100 if from California, or French, for ~$20 USD -- amazing. I just spent the last 10 days there and the wines from Stellenbosch, Constantia, and Durbanville area are just off the charts good. Too many to great wines to even think about. Great food and wine are cheap there for USD. Wine tours abound, big old estate wineries with opulent settings and grounds, awesome views of mountains--it's sick.

Sponsor

Staff online