• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The cook can't go thirsty :)
View attachment 13645

Darn, I wish I could go. Palisade is just a bit too far given 15 hours of travel tomorrow.
agreed, nice to be able to as wine is one fine thing ... hope the day is excellent with a wee more than just pouring, perhaps a taste or two.

best thing is meeting fine folks with similar interests ... I wish I aged as well as a good cab but at least can say I recognize the appreciation of friends.

cheers!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
agreed, nice to be able to as wine is one fine thing ... hope the day is excellent with a wee more than just pouring, perhaps a taste or two.

best thing is meeting fine folks with similar interests ... I wish I aged as well as a good cab but at least can say I recognize the appreciation of friends.
Those are good wishes, @pete :golfclap: . I love the comment to your avatar, btw :roflmao:I would pay to see someone use your line in a press conference. "Mr President, are your wishes of peace a reference to the current situation in XX?" "No, I was just asking the guy at the bar to get me two beers!"

One of the many things I love about wine, is now much "input" I have, just as a consumer. Do I age this bottle a bit more, should I let it breathe some more, did it get too warm? (the answer it typically, yes, in these days of rooms at 24C when your red needs to be had at 17C or 18C), But, fundamentally wine produces a cadence that is perfect to be shared with close friends. You don't just put down a glass, quickly.

Cheers!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Grenache, carignan, syrah. God acid and body, medium tannin and fruit.
20160918_171408.jpg
141102_37BE_DEC15th_2898.r1.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The little things that bring joy to my inner (ok, maybe not so inner) geek.
The classic double pivot corkscrew let's you grab the lip of the bottle, extract part way, and grab again.
20160918_211203.jpg

I just found a new solution -- at least new to me-- at one of the wineries we visited in California. I didn't buy any wine, but I did buy a corkscrew. Although I should say "wine key" to sound I know what I am talking about. Anyway, it just has a small spring-loaded hook for the initial grab. 20160918_211247.jpg

It worked pretty well, but seemed to require more attention. ... we'll see.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

cheers!

Well, we had to check all the bottles we opened, you know ... :wine:I will say that the first thing I wanted at day's end was BEER, though.

It was fun, and very very very busy. Three of us poured almost five cases of wine in 6.5 hr, which I calculated at about 600 pours per person.

Palisade is kind of out there, but the winery itself is closer to Vail; check it out when you're in the neighborhood! http://www.vinesatvailwinery.com/

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
90% Merlot? Unusual for a saint emillion. But not a bad thing. IMHO, the single best place on earth to grow Merlot.
Yup. I would think Pauilliac is also a good place for Merlot? Though I never get wines from there, really expensive juice! This is in fact Lussac Saint Emilion, around proper Saint Emilion (I looked it up the other day, I didn't know this appellation)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lussac-Saint-Émilion

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yup. I would think Pauilliac is also a good place for Merlot? Though I never get wines from there, really expensive juice! This is in fact Lussac Saint Emilion, around proper Saint Emilion (I looked it up the other day, I didn't know this appellation)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lussac-Saint-Émilion
I am sure it is. St E is special to me for personal as well as wine reasons. I have a friend who is a Master of Wine who can tell you every village and the location of some vineyards. But then that is his job. Just had dinner with him last night that included a 2006 Pacherenc du Vic Bilh, a 1990 Super Tuscan that even he had never heard of, and a 76 Burgundy from an obscure village I've already forgotten the name of.

Sadly, he's a snowboarder.

EDIT: By the way, there were 6 adults total for those wines, not just him and I!

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
am sure it is. St E is special to me for personal as well as wine reasons. I have a friend who is a Master of Wine who can tell you every village and the location of some vineyards. But then that is his job. Just had dinner with him last night that included a 2006 Pacherenc du Vic Bilh, a 1990 Super Tuscan that even he had never heard of, and a 76 Burgundy from an obscure village I've already forgotten the name of.

Awesome! One of my goals in life is not to become a wine snob, and stay at the happy wino level. Luckily, I despise white wine, which immediately keeps me safe: a lot of the wine out there I just don't care about. So, I'll happily have salmon with a red wine, f*** the pairing :D Sparkling is fine (the house bubbles are Gloria Ferrer blanc de noirs) . But anyways, I probably would have respectfully taken a little sip of the Pacherenc and waited for the reds. :wine:

Supertuscans: I don't know what's wrong with me, maybe bad luck, I have never had one that I really liked. Being out of 'specs' should let the winemaker do better, one would think (why would less constrains not be helpful?). Anyways, hope it was tasty. How about that burgundy, was it still alive? I love older wine, I really do. I just, very rarely get to have one. Good for you.

Cheers!

Sponsor