• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
This thread needs a bump.

Quite atypical for a Seyval Blanc - but in a touristy way. Normally Seyval Blanc is lemonade acid with a mineral, slightly fizzy finish. This one has acid and fizziness up front - green apple acid without appley aroma, then a very brief minerality followed by - pineapple soup if that makes sense. If someone made chicken broth with a few pineapple chunks that would be the flavour here.

Oh and whatever amine gives headaches - I am informed that this wine has it in spades. (She has already gone for the meds.)

View attachment 22380

I totally agree, about Sav Blanc and the acidity/minerality. One of the few white I'll agree to drink (I am way too partial to reds; even with fish, I'll look for a light red). Very interesting to have one made in Vermont!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This one has acid and fizziness up front - green apple acid without appley aroma, then a very brief minerality followed by - pineapple soup if that makes sense. If someone made chicken broth with a few pineapple chunks that would be the flavour here.

Oh and whatever amine gives headaches - I am informed that this wine has it in spades. (She has already gone for the meds.)

Interesting.

Used to live in the next town. Cambridge is right next to Smuggs. You probably know that.

Wine in Vermont. I was going to ask, "Why bother?" But with global warming, maybe Vermont is positioned to take over Riesling from the Mosel. Or maybe not.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On the special side for a Côtes du Rhone. Maybe that's condescending. Just plain good, then. It's a 2013 from Raymond Usseglio, who is a highly regarded Chateauneuf producer. There is something very Burgundian about this wine. Top notch acid balance, which is very rare for a southern Rhone (according to me). But LOADS of fruit nonetheless. Intense framboise with some hazelnut, tobacco, and underbrush notes. Still very young. The ultimate burger wine? When I think of what $20.00 buys in California, thus seems like a steal.

20170416_174003-01.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Wine in Vermont. I was going to ask, "Why bother?" But with global warming, maybe Vermont is positioned to take over Riesling from the Mosel. Or maybe not.

Well they are definitely not taking over seyval blanc from Quebec and Ontario - I don't know if you've gone tasting off Rte 202 through Dunham but that is really the flavour profile I was expecting.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When I think of what $20.00 buys in California
A few years ago we were at a small winery on the edges of Napa valley. During the tour, the guy showing us around mentioned a lesser known varietal (I forget which one) that they could buy for only X dollars per ton, and as a result they were able sell for only $18 per bottle. "Who makes wine for $18 a bottle?" As he walked on, I said to Pam, "Spain. Italy. Large parts of France."

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
women+after+50+wine+per+gallon.png

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ah, nothing like coming home on a Friday and finding a present waiting!

but, must wait for special occasions, tonight a std $10-$12 bottle of El Chaparral Navarra, still however a nice wine.:wine:

Friday Wine.jpeg

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Simple solution... we will have to visit and "encourage" a tour of the cellar.

It's a very good friend of mine who's the member. I'm merely a humble guest. He's an internationally acclaimed photographer and a wine buff so he's done work for a few of the producers in Bourgogne and has a quite impressive collection w/o being a wealthy guy ($-wise).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Alright. I have a thought experiment for you.

Let's suppose a hypothetical right coaster with next-to-zero western US wine knowledge is driving from Reno to Mammoth Lakes.
What shops should he/she stop at?

*extra bonus points if said shop is likely to stock sardinian wine for Giro start :D

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Alright. I have a thought experiment for you.

Let's suppose a hypothetical right coaster with next-to-zero western US wine knowledge is driving from Reno to Mammoth Lakes.
What shops should he/she stop at?

*extra bonus points if said shop is likely to stock sardinian wine for Giro start :D
If you are really serious about finding the unique and special, a detour to sacramento?
https://cortibrothers.com/pages/about-us
A legendary, yes, legendary, wine shop.

But I usually bring my wine up with me. I have no idea where to buy good wine in the Tahoe region!

Sponsor

Staff online