• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Don't recognize much, so going by grapes and regions. First up, a Lodi cab. Pretty good. Then a Chilean carmenere-- actually a bit TOO fruity.
Who's carmenere was it? I like carmenere but I have not found one that is fruity.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
My wife likes the "Argie Malbec" and I have had my share of them but give me a Cab any day.:wine::)

Yeah, nothing wrong in the abstract. The issue is that it became really famous, and synonymous of Argentina as much as beef. A cliche. So, in the last few years, it has been a real challenge to find a good Argie Malbec at a reasonable price. It was great while it lasted, particularly until 2010 or so. The 2006 vintage was phenomenal, and 2005 was very good. There were a couple glorious years where you could get really nice juice for about $10 in the States.

Rutini makes a nice 50/50 Malbec/Cab, at a price that isn't crazy, but not a bargain, anymore :( Actually, I have a bottle here. No, wait, I had it this summer. It was a 2010.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Got this on a recent Vermont trip. ( Beverage Warehouse, Winooski. ) If you sometimes like a rich, nutty grigio, but not Jabba fat, try this. Luscious. Serving with a roasted squash and Gorgonzola risotto.

20170314_191337-01.jpeg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
So not only did I hurt my knee (posted in another thread) and cancel my heli skiing trip (ditto ), but the Northeast blizzard canceled my connecting flight and has me stuck in Dallas, burning vacation, for two and a half days.

So I did as @Tony S suggested and googled for a wine bar. They have an argon dispensing system, so sell tastes as well as glasses.
View attachment 20967
View attachment 20968
When life gives you lemons, make . . . Chablis?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
View attachment 20970 I'm trying not to let the price, or the fact that his Abstract Red is one of my favorite wines, bias me. But how can you? Orin Swift Papillion. 2013.
View attachment 20969

Deep, opaque purple, legs for days. Flavor profile is between a tradional Bordeaux (which the tout sheet claims) and Abstract. Medium tannin levels, well integrated.
Orrin Swift. Yet another in a long line of wineries snapped up by large conglomerates. But your 2013 was made before the takeover. Have no idea how they have fared. Constellation has a good track record as large wineries taking over little ones go.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Umm ... I lost count of the bottles. Do you need us to call 911 or a taxi? :D Happy that you are making the best of it. Hope the knee is already feeling better. You are definitely doing your part and getting lots of antioxidants :D

:roflmao:
They are 2 ounce tastes, so only 10 ounces so far. Or was it 12? But I have been here two and a half hours already.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Got this on a recent Vermont trip. ( Beverage Warehouse, Winooski. ) If you sometimes like a rich, nutty grigio, but not Jabba fat, try this. Luscious. Serving with a roasted squash and Gorgonzola risotto.

View attachment 20973

FullSizeRender.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Orrin Swift. Yet another in a long line of wineries snapped up by large conglomerates. But your 2013 was made before the takeover. Have no idea how they have fared. Constellation has a good track record as large wineries taking over little ones go.

Hmmm. Missed that. I only suscribe to Wine spectator when I have airline miles about to expire.
http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/Gallo-Purchases-Orin-Swift-Cellars
Is that a current photo of Dave Phinney? Just how young is that guy?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hmmm. Missed that. I only suscribe to Wine spectator when I have airline miles about to expire.
http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/Gallo-Purchases-Orin-Swift-Cellars
Is that a current photo of Dave Phinney? Just how young is that guy?
Ah yes, now I have to explain. Constellation bought some of the portfolio (specifically The Prisoner). Gallo bought the rest. Papillon may have actually gone with Gallo instead of Constellation.

And no, that isn't a terribly current photo of Dave Phinney. Still, pretty young.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
So not only did I hurt my knee (posted in another thread) and cancel my heli skiing trip (ditto ), but the Northeast blizzard canceled my connecting flight and has me stuck in Dallas, burning vacation, for two and a half days.

Classic Nor'easter. . Did you get out of Dallas before imbibing too much wine ? Pain management of course !

Finished my drive home yesterday from Gathering. Rained all thru WA and most of OR.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
hummm, had a Savant earlier and first thinking this a Port, read Cab Sav on back and overlooked "Port Style". Very tasty but spouse a bit less a fan due to sweetness.

tx'ed to 375ml and corked to save for my and my brother, so off to find a more cab'ish or lighter with to keep spouse happy!

Attachments

• 20170326_200321.pdf
    458.9 KB · Views: 3

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
wine.png

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
hummm, had a Savant earlier and first thinking this a Port, read Cab Sav on back and overlooked "Port Style". Very tasty but spouse a bit less a fan due to sweetness.

tx'ed to 375ml and corked to save for my and my brother, so off to find a more cab'ish or lighter with to keep spouse happy!

That's a lot of age on the bottle, too. Nice. I am not sure the climate of Paso Robles is ideal for Cab. Perhpas too warm? I have been luckier with Rhone blends from there.

This one is intriguing, though. Perphaps a late harvest production?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid