• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
You mean like in drowning Chardonnay in Oak? :D
Its actually a great example. Lots of burgundy uses as much oak and always has. Chablis in particular. Whah? That's right. But the big difference is that they have very high acid chardonnay that has ripened at a very low brix (compared to CA for example) AND is picked at a lower ripeness level. That wine consumes oak like a 6 year old consumes halloween candy. Sucks it right up and wraps it into a tight little package that gives the wine weight, reductive strength, and enhances and supports the minerality. Its also a very different kind of oak. Lightly toasted, with untoasted heads, or vice versa sometimes.

But here we think, if a little ripeness is good (and it is) a lot must be better. If a little toasted oak is good (and it can be) then burnt toast must be better! Fortunately we are on the downside of this trend. But there is still a ways to go.

We are MUCH further from getting Viogner right and the market isn't driving learning here like it is with chard.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love the Malbecs, Chiantis and Petit Sirah's of the world but in recent years I've had to scale back from red wine because the tannins kill me and I'll have the deadliest headache the next day just from one glass of wine. I've not been able to pinpoint it to a specific wine or brand other than the deadly headaches happen after I drink a glass of red. I have been drinking white wine as of late to be safe but I miss my reds. Can someone recommend a red that has lower tannins? I don't know a ton about wine so not sure if I'm wishing for something unattainable.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I love the Malbecs, Chiantis and Petit Sirah's of the world but in recent years I've had to scale back from red wine because the tannins kill me and I'll have the deadliest headache the next day just from one glass of wine. I've not been able to pinpoint it to a specific wine or brand other than the deadly headaches happen after I drink a glass of red. I have been drinking white wine as of late to be safe but I miss my reds. Can someone recommend a red that has lower tannins? I don't know a ton about wine so not sure if I'm wishing for something unattainable.

Beaujolais (and particular Noveau) comes to mind, among lighter in tannin wines that I actually like (some of the new world Pinot as well, but I can't stomach new world pinot, I simply stay away). Try to stay away from wines aged in oak. HTH. Oh, and I _love_ your motto! :)

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The most common cause of wine headaches (other than drinking too much of it) is histamines. When yeast struggle, they secret amines. Things that cause yeast to struggle are insufficient nutrients, high alcohols, and high volatile acidity (vinegar). The first is pretty much impossible to anticipate. The next two correlate very strongly with red over white, high alcohol (14+) over low, very ripe over less ripe, darker red over lighter red.

So, although its unlikely that its the tannins, @Mendieta recommendation is a good one. Otago Pinot Noir could be another. Lower alcohols, more traditionally made, old school/old world, are all filters that ought to help. Or white. Cheap cava is the "house wine" around here :).

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The most common cause of wine headaches (other than drinking too much of it) is histamines. When yeast struggle, they secret amines. Things that cause yeast to struggle are insufficient nutrients, high alcohols, and high volatile acidity (vinegar). The first is pretty much impossible to anticipate. The next two correlate very strongly with red over white, high alcohol (14+) over low, very ripe over less ripe, darker red over lighter red.

So, although its unlikely that its the tannins, @Mendieta recommendation is a good one. Otago Pinot Noir could be another. Lower alcohols, more traditionally made, old school/old world, are all filters that ought to help. Or white. Cheap cava is the "house wine" around here :).

Thanks. All I know is that the deadly headaches ensue only after I drink red and that's it's random. It's not every time I drink red but I'm not wanting to take the chance because that headache is so awful. I'm not a big drinker usually only having a glass or maybe 2. I've found success in avoiding reds but I sometimes feel like red but have been avoiding them. People had told me the tannins were the problem so it's interesting to learn it it's more involved than that. I wonder if there are any malbecs or chiantis out there that would fit the other criteria you mentioned.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks. All I know is that the deadly headaches ensue only after I drink red and that's it's random. It's not every time I drink red but I'm not wanting to take the chance because that headache is so awful. I'm not a big drinker usually only having a glass or maybe 2. I've found success in avoiding reds but I sometimes feel like red but have been avoiding them. People had told me the tannins were the problem so it's interesting to learn it it's more involved than that. I wonder if there are any malbecs or chiantis out there that would fit the other criteria you mentioned.
Chianti for sure. Problem is, most of the "rustic" old school chiantis don't get imported as often. The more primitive the label looks and lower the alcohol, the better the bet. This one I just came across is the antithesis of what you should be looking for:
P53589.jpg

""A simple Chianti that shows lots of richness and intensity with ripe fruit, light raisin and walnut shell character. Full body round and velvety tannins and a flavorful finish. Drink now." James Suckling, 91 Points"

I bolded the warning signs, including the fact that it was reviewed positively by James Suckling (Wine Spectator). I am not saying he's wrong. Just, if he likes it, its not a traditional style Chianti.

As for Malbec, it almost all comes from the new world and almost all is made in a concentrated, ripe manner.

Another thought is: Grenache, Tempranillo (Rioja), and Carignane--all old world.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
As for Malbec, it almost all comes from the new world and almost all is made in a concentrated, ripe manner.

And that explains now why that single glass but very tall pour of Malbec at the restaurant in Killington almost killed me. One of the worst headaches ever, couldn't even ski that day and it takes a lot to keep me off the slopes.

Thanks for the other information, putting it in my :wine:list.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
And that explains now why that single glass but very tall pour of Malbec at the restaurant in Killington almost killed me. One of the worst headaches ever, couldn't even ski that day and it takes a lot to keep me off the slopes.

Thanks for the other information, putting it in my :wine:list.

Here is one more suggestion: drink water before and after wine. See if it helps. Even if I drink little, sometimes I go through the day drinking little water 'cause I'm too busy, then I have a glass of wine or two with no water, and it will dehydrate me and give me a headache next morning. I am not saying that this is the case for you, but there is so little downside in trying, if you haven't ...

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Here is one more suggestion: drink water before and after wine. See if it helps. Even if I drink little, sometimes I go through the day drinking little water 'cause I'm too busy, then I have a glass of wine or two with no water, and it will dehydrate me and give me a headache next morning. I am not saying that this is the case for you, but there is so little downside in trying, if you haven't ...
X3 at elevation!

There is the dehydration and then there is also diluting any histamine content. True of fermented foods too.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Thanks guys. Headaches are only when red wine is involved. That said I'm a pretty good water drinker but it's definitely something to be cognizant of when I know a little vino is in my future. :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I had their Cab/Merlot tonight at dinner. Like the Sumac Ridge better.

Pyramid winery?

I had never had Ehrenfelser before and I was somewhat skeeved out by the vintage dates in the wine shop. The only other Ehrenfelser was from 2009 - and an 8 year sit of an unknown white varietal was not a risk I was ready to take. (I might have risked the 2011 sauvignon blanc-gewurtztraminer blend but it was listed as 'organic' which is another danger sign).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A little too extracted for my taste ; there's probably berries and chocolate in it but it's almost gritty on the teeth. Pleasant enough with the lamb.

IMG_20170308_190527.jpg

Sponsor