• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
When you are the number one women ski racer, you get your own training lane at Copper

Mod Edit: Photo Posted without Permission. It has been deleted.

Or, the USST allocates their lane space to team MS for that three hour block of time. Either way being the WC winner does have it's perks! Same deal for Hirscher, Gut, and a lot of others. Own Program.

Last edited by a moderator:

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Or, the USST allocates their lane space to team MS for that three hour block of time. Either way being the WC winner does have it's perks! Same deal for Hirscher, Gut, and a lot of others. Own Program.

Often times young guys on Tour would complain about tee times etc....

The typical response was, “If you are unhappy, play better!”

Want your own training area, just ski faster!

EZPZ

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier

As you can see the GS course next to her has outside panels, so must have been one of the Nor-Am GS races. Since this is over on the speed center, the surface is firm from injection. My buddy said her training that day was about a 20 sec course that you can see. And then another shorter course lower down.

On a side note, he said he saw Mancuso walking in town. More like limping as it looked like her hip was not good.

James

Out There
Instructor
Some one asked in one of these threads "I wonder if her mom is still that involved". Well, (and I post this as a bemused data point, not a complaint!) my daughter has been out training in Copper for a little while. The other day she and her friend found themselves in close proximity to Schiffy. Her friend somehow finds the courage to ask if they can ride with her. She says yes. The girls are super excited! Right up until when Mom pushes (their words not mine and I wasn't there) them out of the way and says "she has to focus". I'm smiling as I type this, I guess she is still pretty involved.
At Abasin in May mom allowed random dude to ride with them. I suspect he had no idea who they were. I tried to get @coskigirl to jump over into the singles lane so she could be the one.

Random dude on Soul 7's with M&m:

IMG_2235.JPG

Lenawee lift to top.

Now, mom might not want this guy cursing up a storm on a chair:
IMG_2231.JPG

@Drahtguy Kevin bottom of Abasin Mom is in purple, Mikaela in blue.

Just another reason to hit up Abay in May...

James

Out There
Instructor
If you guys didn't treat the aristocracy like royalty then it wouldn't exist....
I'd say she's treated more like celebs in nyc. Which is, "oh, okay" with not much fuss. Never even saw anyone ask for a photo. Everyone just wants to ski and she's just another racer in the crowd on skinny skis. She certainly didn't have stalkers following her on trail. I tried... Actually they're very good at working a trail. They wait for a clear moment then go. They'll stop and wait for space again and talk briefly, but they cover ground quickly.

I don't know, I think it's something to have a chance to watch the best slalom skier in the world go down the same trail you're about to go down. To me it's worth it to give up free skiing and see how the best does it. I think I had one person hang for half a run. Everyone wanted to go ski.

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't know, but it's not that far from Burke.
Would they let her in there??ogsmile

Plus there's that hotel/conference center from the Quiros debacle that probably no one is in...

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Would they let her in there??ogsmile

Plus there's that hotel/conference center from the Quiros debacle that probably no one is in...

I saw a report today that he settled with the Government but no details given

Muleski

Inactive
Pretty sure that "They'd let her in there"
at BMA. Amazing "gym" there. Wonder where she is staying?
It's also sort of mind blowing to see how much stuff a group like Team Shiffrin often travels with. Enough recovery gear so that they don't need a gym. Couple of spin bikes, etc.
isn't BMA going to own a big chunk of the hotel when the whole mess settles out.
Jay's a good choice. Probably very quiet, relatively speaking right now. Good place for that focus thing.
Is Main St. at Stowe open yet? What about any terrain at Burke. The entire school has been away, so perhaps the push is to get it ready now? Dunno.

Was also thinking that the world of private jet travel is pretty darn nice for MS. Makes things SO MUCH easier. Quite a benefit.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Not a lick of snow on Main St. Comp and Slalom Hill should be functional by next week. Too bad they couldn't have had Main St in time for some training. They could do it if they wanted, but just looking at Killington today, you can see how they have sacrificed everything to have the World Cup hill ready. The rest of the mountain does not look so good.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe , but I would be surprised she is at Jay right now. The picture I posted of her training on her private lane at Copper was taken yesterday. Eileen asked a very good mutual friend if he can get Mt Snow contact info to ask about hill space there and I provided the contact info. Since they are having Thanksgiving in Mass, they possibly wanted something close by for yesterday or today if they left Copper early. They decided to stay later and never asked Mt Snow. I would assume she trains at Killington on Friday.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
True I remember when WC racers would visit Sugarloaf when I was a pup and I would "discretely" try to match turns 50-100' behind.

I'm sure it never bothered them at all hahaha

Come to think of it, charge $1000 to good Master's racers for following privileges and chair lift rides... perhaps it is not realistic but it would probably be money well spent.

James

Out There
Instructor
Come to think of it, charge $1000 to good Master's racers for following privileges and chair lift rides... perhaps it is not realistic but it would probably be money well spent.
I think most Ncaa coaches don't want Masters racers anywhere near their courses. I suspect for wcup they want even more distance. Watch from the side. Even if her mom was into Masters I doubt that's changed.

I did ski with someone who years ago as a kid skied with Stenmark. It was after the Olympics in Lake Placid. Stenmark skied with a bunch of the local ski team kids.

Moses

Booting up
Skier
LV got onto a t-bar in NZ this summer with one of the first year FIS girls from my club and chatted away to her. She could have taken one alone but instead she chose to travel up with a 17 year old racer and was really nice and genuine. I've a lot of respect for the time she puts into meeting and talking to younger racers and fans, it's such a nice quality for someone who attracts so much attention and for such a long time too.

DaveM

Putting on skis
Skier
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/11/27/mikaela-shiffrin-the-best-slalom-skier-in-the-world

Very solid article/profile on Mikaela here. Well-written and insightful. Not bad for a magazine that rarely, if ever, writes about skiing and/or skiers. Some insight as well on the coaching issues and the Dyksterhouse split.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/11/27/mikaela-shiffrin-the-best-slalom-skier-in-the-world
Thank you for posting the web-link - yes, that's an interesting article. I watched Mikaela's Olympic runs and was "blown away". What struck me was her "Economy of Motion", especially during her gold medal run. 'Talk about precision movement! Yeow. I started skiing relatively late in life, so watching the video was a good lesson for me. She seems to be a very nice spokeswoman for the sport, too. I wish her all the best of success! It's funny - I met Donna Weinbrecht at the recent Boston Ski & Snowsports Expo, and she suggested I return early from a Thanksgiving family visit so that I could watch the World Cup competitions at Killington, this coming weekend. 'Just can't do it, but I wish Mikaela & all the USA's skiers the best of success. (I thank @KevinF for mentioning this thread to me.)

Sponsor

Staff online