• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The scary thing here isn’t the Mikaela/parents story because it seems to be turning out so well.... but imagine the other dozens (or hundreds?) of families attempting to replicate this success without the talent, resources, and mental toughness to pull it off. I feel sorry for them.

Her story is a very unique one. It's been told so, so many times and I think that it's normally buffed up a bit. I think the article in the New Yorker is overall a good one, but not totally accurate.

Your observation is spot on. Mikaela's amazing success, which began at such a young age, has caused many. many issues in the ski racing world. Even with families and kids in "the best" programs, clubs and academies.

What I hear, very often, is that the "Mikaela Factor" has caused a lot of angst among those who have high aspirations for their daughters. Thing about it. Mikaela was racing a full NorAm schedule when she was old enough to have a FIS license. 15 in those days. Now it's 16. She was racing on the WC at 16, and winning at 17.

So you have parents who think that their daughters are not progressing fast enough, not hitting the same milestones, and who can be a complete handful for coaches. "But her age, Mikaela was........" Guess what, your child is killing it. There is one MS. She doesn't live in your house.

The way that she was trained has been chronicled a great deal, again with some editing. But the general headlines are a lot of drills, a lot of directed free skiing, solid intense training, very few {relatively speaking} race starts. Rest periods. Periodization. The proper nutrition, etc.

Once again, you have hands on parents who really don't want to let program directors and coaches do their job. They some in, loaded for bear, wanting to duplicate MS's program when she was younger.

Note that this does not touch on the many young women, roughly her age, and many a bit older who bailed on the sport with the famous words "This sucks, and I suck.....not fun."

We have the best female SL skier in history, and she is only 22. She may well be the best female tech skier ever, and may turn out to be the best skier, and winningest skier ever, period. She is amazing, she is bright, attractive, gracious. The whole package. An easy role model.

But the notion that you can develop your daughter to be the next MS is pretty crazy, other than perhaps for a handful of people in the country, a couple of whom perhaps might eventually end up on the USST.

What I hear is that there is a lot of road kill or collateral damage with this. It does not happen with young girls. It affects the fallout to some degree in the U14 years, and particularly the U16 years. By the time they are U19's and racing FIS, they should be aware of where they realistically will stand in that world. Not precisely, but probably not thinking they'll be on the WC in their first year, and winning in their second.

As many know, when you hop on this train, one of the more difficult things is eventually jumping off. If the child selects out, it makes it easy. It's costly, it takes a lot of energy, and the pinnacle at the top is small and narrow.

Having a parent on this full time, and a second very heavily involved is quite a commitment. Others have done it with very different results.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Man... I have to say the article set off a couple of alarm bells. At some point the metrics of success change. I hope both she and her family make the transistion gracefully when that time comes.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Williams sisters did a similar thing in Tennis, very few tournaments as juniors.

The father trained them and they practiced together.

Rarified air for sure.

There are not any Venus or Serena’s on the horizon.

Earl Woods did the same for Tiger, very similar.

Michele Wie’s parents did not get the memo

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
While Tiger is (was?) a fabulous athlete, and yes, he brought athleticism to golf IMHO, I don't know if he's a good example of great outcomes beyond the confines of the game.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
It is an amazing success story and a process that should not be attempted to be duplicated. Only worked because of Eileen and that Mikaela is a freak :)

it is amazing that she went to Burke and never entered a VARA 1&2 race. Don't think any successful racer can say that they never entered a USSA 1&2 ( or u16/u19 ) race. Probably won't be duplicated and nor should it be.

So lucky to have her and we are witnessing quite possibly the greatest skier ever.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While Tiger is (was?) a fabulous athlete, and yes, he brought athleticism to golf IMHO, I don't know if he's a good example of great outcomes beyond the confines of the game.

Sorry, I was focusing on sports accomplishments and how they arrived at the top of the heap.

I could care less about someone’s personal life, it’s their business

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Sorry, I was focusing on sports accomplishments and who they arrived at the top of the heap.

I could care less about someone’s personal life, it’s their business

I don't disagree. I just generally hope for the best for everyone. Maybe I'm wired weird, but for my own kid, I just want him to be engaged, happy, well adjusted, have integrity, grace, and do no harm to himself or others. That's life long.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Some one asked in one of these threads "I wonder if her mom is still that involved". Well, (and I post this as a bemused data point, not a complaint!) my daughter has been out training in Copper for a little while. The other day she and her friend found themselves in close proximity to Schiffy. Her friend somehow finds the courage to ask if they can ride with her. She says yes. The girls are super excited! Right up until when Mom pushes (their words not mine and I wasn't there) them out of the way and says "she has to focus". I'm smiling as I type this, I guess she is still pretty involved.

Muleski

Inactive
In terms of MS's "personal life", or LV's, I think they are somewhat pertinent. EVERY young girl ski racer looks up to MS and wants to be like her, or become the next MS. Not long ago every girl in those age groups wanted to be LV. Maybe not all; some wanted to be Mancuso.

Parents read about these women, even in articles like the one in the New Yorker, and we hear many hundreds of them expressing that they are "wonderful role models." The power of the media, being attractive, winning. Seriously, what do they really know about them?

I am very pleased to see Mikaela's growth over the past couple of years. This kid did not have close to a normal high school experience, let alone what most would have in college. The signs are that she will turn out just fine, through and after skiing.

@K2 Rat's points are interesting. I read the comment about no VARA/USSA races in her J1 & J2 years, and initially thought no huge deal. But, it is a HUGE deal. It's beyond "unusual." She never raced with her Burke buddies in a VT USSA race.

I recall watching her first FIS races, and almost immediately her first NorAms. At 15. She was so good, so fast, despite her starting like everybody else with 990 points. She obviously had been coached and listened on how to tactically handle that.

I've been trying to think of any racer, any time, either gender who simply skipped every USSA race on their calendar. I can't. Not a one, including some really early bloomers!

It's also a bit strange to me that she never skied in some of the "fun" USSA races, season ending things. I think it all had to do with very carefully balancing her racing, training and rest. And racing in races that were to her benefit.

The article and other recent ones very much downplay her mother's "involvement." The recent one tells a story of Dykster's departure that I assume both agree us fair and reasonable. Not exactly how many talk about it going down.

The "most powerful person in US skiing".......I have heard people half joke that Tiger works for Eileen.

She can be very pleasant. Last year, we saw MS looking delightful in front of the camera, and very stressed and miserable elsewhere.

This is a pretty high pressure job for MS. It's so different than hoping that your daughter will enjoy the sport, love it, etc.

I'm impressed with how she handles herself, all things considered. Very.

I think her personal life comes into play because of the role model thing.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The scary thing here isn’t the Mikaela/parents story because it seems to be turning out so well.... but imagine the other dozens (or hundreds?) of families attempting to replicate this success without the talent, resources, and mental toughness to pull it off. I feel sorry for them.
I feel sorry for coaches who have to deal with them (the parents). ;(

Some one asked in one of these threads "I wonder if her mom is still that involved". Well, (and I post this as a bemused data point, not a complaint!) my daughter has been out training in Copper for a little while. The other day she and her friend found themselves in close proximity to Schiffy. Her friend somehow finds the courage to ask if they can ride with her. She says yes. The girls are super excited! Right up until when Mom pushes (their words not mine and I wasn't there) them out of the way and says "she has to focus". I'm smiling as I type this, I guess she is still pretty involved.
I noticed something similar when I watched her last Spring at Squaw. A mom asked Shiffrin if she could take a photo of her with her son. Shiffrins eyes darted around for a moment as if she was about to get busted & proclaimed "I AM training" as if to say, we need to make it quick, as she graciously smiled for the photo.
I on the other hand chickened out about asking for a photo ;).

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hope this isn’t a drift but I’m excited about this gal who beat her fair and square last time out.
It’s great when the best wins all the time and is truly a hall of famer but we don’t want her winning by a second and a half.
To be pushed and have to come through under a tremendous amount of pressure just because she’s MS by someone else close to her equal will be awesome.
I don’t get to see her very often but when I do I gather everybody in the house to watch the brilliant young lady !!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I hope this isn’t a drift but I’m excited about this gal who beat her fair and square last time out.
It’s great when the best wins all the time and is truly a hall of famer but we don’t want her winning by a second and a half.
To be pushed and have to come through under a tremendous amount of pressure just because she’s MS by someone else close to her equal will be awesome.
I don’t get to see her very often but when I do I gather everybody in the house to watch the brilliant young lady !!

MS had some gear issues (boot) what was it? Last season? The season before? and started a bit slow relative to our expectations. I imagine we're somewhere in that same spectrum at the moment.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
In terms of MS's "personal life", or LV's, I think they are somewhat pertinent. EVERY young girl ski racer looks up to MS and wants to be like her, or become the next MS. Not long ago every girl in those age groups wanted to be LV. Maybe not all; some wanted to be Mancuso.

Parents read about these women, even in articles like the one in the New Yorker, and we hear many hundreds of them expressing that they are "wonderful role models." The power of the media, being attractive, winning. Seriously, what do they really know about them?

I am very pleased to see Mikaela's growth over the past couple of years. This kid did not have close to a normal high school experience, let alone what most would have in college. The signs are that she will turn out just fine, through and after skiing.
It's very easy to look at the end product of a journey (MK's life and training) and see only the good. It's very easy to overlook the downside, what she had to have sacrificed, the things she didn't do. I wonder about the sleepovers and birthday parties she missed, the lifelong female friendships she never had, the lateral support that her lifestyle never provided.

I don't think it was wrong for her, but when other people look at this and look at their children, I don't think they really realize what has to be sacrificed, to accomplish something similar, if it's even possible.

Last edited:

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
MS had some gear issues (boot) what was it? Last season? The season before? and started a bit slow relative to our expectations. I imagine we're somewhere in that same spectrum at the moment.

Harold Harb certainly thinks she has a boot issue.

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/

Shiff angles1.jpg

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
When you are the number one women ski racer, you get your own training lane at Copper

Mod Edit: Photo Posted without Permission. It has been deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
A buddy took a slip down MS's course the other day. Despite some warm temps out there, the surface looked pretty good

Muleski

Inactive
When you are the number one women ski racer, you get your own training lane at Copper

Yep. And it's not shared. Nobody gets to video.
Etc. in case it's not crystal clear to everybody, MS is on her own program. That became very clear in July, 2016.

4ster

Instructor
2017 XFINITY KILLINGTON CUP
Broadcast and Streaming Schedule (all times ET)

Saturday, Nov. 25
10 a.m. ET – Women’s giant slalom, run 1 – nbcsports.com / NBC Sports App
12:30 p.m. ET – Women’s giant slalom, run 2 – nbcsports.com / NBC Sports App
3 p.m. ET – Women’s giant slalom, runs 1 & 2 – NBC (same day delay)

Sunday, Nov. 26
10 a.m. ET – Women’s slalom, run 1 – nbcsports.com / NBC Sports App
1 p.m. ET – Women’s slalom, run 2 – NBC / nbcsports.com / NBC Sports App

4ster

Instructor
A buddy took a slip down MS's course the other day. Despite some warm temps out there, the surface looked pretty good

Wait, I thought ice was only an eastern phenomenon.
Should be good Kton simulation.

Yep. And it's not shared. Nobody gets to video.
Etc. in case it's not crystal clear to everybody, MS is on her own program. That became very clear in July, 2016.
I remember taking some kids down to Mammoth to watch Tomba early season when he was #1. Only the front of chair 1 was open & he took the bulk of the good skiing for a full length SL. One full run then he went out about 1/3 of the way down the 2nd. That was it, the entourage packed up & went to the gym.