• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid and under layers for shell jackets

Mike Faron

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey everyone!
I'm new to this forum it's my first post. I'm an avid skier usually take two trips out west to Colorado each year. For the past 15 years I've been wearing a Spyder insulated jacket. It was pretty thick and heavy. At the end of last season I purchased a Marmot Storm King jacket which is considered a shell jacket and is not insulated. I'm going to Colorado in a couple weeks and I'm trying to figure out what underlayers/mid layers to wear to keep warm. Recently it's been cold here where I live in Chicago (from -10 to 10 degrees F) and I've put the jacket on with an underarmour compression fitting mock shirt and my Northface fleece, which is not super thick. In the past this is all I've worn under the insulated jacket and was ok. When I went outside in the cold by me with these two layers and the Storm King on I could feel the cold blowing through the jacket. My question is how many layers do people wear with these types of jackets. I realize it might not be this cold on the mountain...from experience it's been about 20 degrees with wind....but you never know. One year it was 0 degrees. I then tried putting on my thin Patagonia down jacket in addition to the UA and NF layers and was then much warmer...but it was a much bulkier look even though the down jacket is pretty thin.
Thanks

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
When it gets below 0, bulk is the least of my concerns. I put my down jacket under my parka and I'm toasty, if puffy.

TS
M

Mike Faron

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
haha, well said. I was still able to move freely so the bulk wasn't an issue. Do you wear a shell jacket? do you wear a down jacket under it at 20 degrees? Thanks!

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm fan of the 3-in-1 interchange Columbia jackets. Use the insulated liner in the winter and zip it out for warmer spring days. Consider a down vest to use with your shell jacket to replace the lack of an insulated lining. For the cold days like we have been experiencing here in the Northeast I would have a base layer, turtleneck, sweater, jacket liner and jacket shell.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What they said. As long as its not uncomfortable or restricting movement, add all the layers you need. For this reason vests make a real layer. Down or synthetic high loft is better than multiple fleece layers, since its more flexible for the thick versions and the slick shell fabric slides over other layers better.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I usually find a couple of thin layers and a light fleece under the shell is warm enough for all but the coldest days. If it's really cold I'll wear a heavier fleece, add a fleece vest or double up on the light fleece. I also may double up the base layer on my legs since I won't wear insulated pants. I'd rather be a little chilly on the lift than be overheated while skiing but ymmv.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
haha, well said. I was still able to move freely so the bulk wasn't an issue. Do you wear a shell jacket? do you wear a down jacket under it at 20 degrees? Thanks!

I wear a coat with a zip-out liner. If it's not brutally cold I just have the liner in. If I didn't have that, i'd probably just put a fleece under it. I save the puffy for nose hair-freezing days.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hey everyone!
I'm new to this forum it's my first post. I'm an avid skier usually take two trips out west to Colorado each year. For the past 15 years I've been wearing a Spyder insulated jacket. It was pretty thick and heavy. At the end of last season I purchased a Marmot Storm King jacket which is considered a shell jacket and is not insulated. I'm going to Colorado in a couple weeks and I'm trying to figure out what underlayers/mid layers to wear to keep warm. Recently it's been cold here where I live in Chicago (from -10 to 10 degrees F) and I've put the jacket on with an underarmour compression fitting mock shirt and my Northface fleece, which is not super thick. In the past this is all I've worn under the insulated jacket and was ok. When I went outside in the cold by me with these two layers and the Storm King on I could feel the cold blowing through the jacket. My question is how many layers do people wear with these types of jackets. I realize it might not be this cold on the mountain...from experience it's been about 20 degrees with wind....but you never know. One year it was 0 degrees. I then tried putting on my thin Patagonia down jacket in addition to the UA and NF layers and was then much warmer...but it was a much bulkier look even though the down jacket is pretty thin.
Thanks

UA compression with thin NF fleece is really a spring skiing setup, especially with a drafty jacket. Upgrading to down or a Polar-weight fleece will improve the feel but you can also benefit from upgrading base layers.

I suggest an experiment: do you have a Capilene or UA summer-weight T-Shirt? Throw that on over your compression layer and under the fleece. If that improves jacket feel, your base layer doesn't have enough loft to it. Get something that has more separation between midlayer and skin.

Also, make sure to manage the obvious air ingress areas. No one wears fleece neck gaiters walking around in Chicago - but you will want to on the mountain.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ive always been a fan of a shell and then dressing accordingly underneath. But it must be a shell that can stop the wind. Without that its useless but with that you can survive anything. But I got a new Columbia jacket last year. Its not a heavy insulated jacket but its not a shell and is sort if in between. Ive yet to wear it on the coldest windiest day and if it doesn't block wind really well Im not going to be using it much.

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
I'm a big fan of the so-called active/breathable synthetic insulations that have come to market in the last few years (for mid-layers or the insulation in an insulated shell). I own the Arc'teryx Proton LT, which has what they call Coreloft Continuous. It's fantastic: keeps me warm and regulates my body-heat really well with it's air-permeability. Equivalent mid-layers would be the Patagonia Nano-Air (and Nano-Air Light), and the new North Face Ventrix. I highly recommend this kind of synthetic!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
It's been really hard to beat a Pendleton wool flannel shirt over a base layer. A little shop near my mom's place starts selling them at half off in Feb, so at $70'ish, it's price competitive and supremely versatile for about anything including beer o'clock, a movie date, and they're tough. I think I've worn one ever ski day for the past 2 seasons. They even get washed once in awhile. ogsmile

Last edited:

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ice Breaker wool Base layers, and Merinoloft mid layer. Breathes well, and keeps you warm under a shell.

Sponsor

Staff online